CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just BC'd today, need help!

+6
CurlsGalore
Lynnieluve
WhosThatRedHead
sweetdrk1
Ebbz
BellaLuna
10 posters

Go down

Just BC'd today, need help! Empty Just BC'd today, need help!

Post by BellaLuna 15th July 2010, 1:02 am

Hi, I just BC'd today and I promise I will post pics soon. I have a TWA and I need help knowing how to care for it. I have curls but they aren't tight. How often should I wash or condition it? When sealants are mentioned I am a little confused on what kind of sealants. I have soooo many questions and would appreciate any help I receive! Thank you
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Just BC'd today, need help! Empty Re: Just BC'd today, need help!

Post by Ebbz 15th July 2010, 1:06 am

I just BC'd today as well so congrats! I will be watching this post to see the replies.

Sealants are usually shea butter or oils, such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil (there are others, those are just a few).
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 15th July 2010, 1:09 am

Thank you! Congrats to you as well Smile. How long did you transition before you BC'd? I am feeling a little overwhelmed lol. If you read anything helpful could you please post it?
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 15th July 2010, 1:11 am

I sure will and I transitioned for 3 months....you can read all about it in my curl st journal (in my signature). Youtube is a big help as well.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 15th July 2010, 10:45 pm

Thanks! Have you found a big sis on the forum? I think I was having trouble finding one because I didn't have a pic up lol
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 16th July 2010, 12:02 am

I am so far from the TWA stage, but I will tell you moisture is the key. As for how often you Co-wash/wash..let your hair tell you. When I was at that stage I loved Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in conditioner. That was all I needed and I would simply refresh with a spray bottle in the morning! I still will do a Wash N Go with just conditioner..I have a closet full of them lol! This journey is about trial and error so be patient with yourself. Also you should start a curl street journal. I found documenting my progress helped. Also the curlies on here are FAB..someone is where you are or has been there.

I have never tried but I hear/read good things about Eco Styling Gel.

Also check out Mahogany Curls Vids on YouTube she also has a section in Curlfriends. I know she is on vacation now, but I am very sure you will find something helpful there.

AND Congrats!! You look beautiful!

Last edited by sweetdrk1 on 16th July 2010, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 12:03 am

Congrats on your BC! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I do the curly girl method. I co wash (wash my hair with conditioner) every day. I shampoo my hair once a week. One thing I would recommend would be to look up stuff on Youtube. I learned how to co wash my hair by watching a tutorial. After my co wash I use leave in conditioner. Right now I've been using a mixture that was posted on youtube by Kimmaytube. After that I use Kinky Curly Curling custard to give me a little hold and define my curls and I use Vatika oil as my sealant. I deep condition my hair about once a week as well. One thing I learned from CN is to keep my hair moisturized!!! Very important! Good luck. Hope I was some help.

Oh! I don't have a natural big sis yet. It's been something I've been thinking about.

Last edited by WhosThatRedHead on 16th July 2010, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th July 2010, 12:15 am

Congratulations!!! You look beautiful!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 16th July 2010, 12:28 am

Thank you ladies soooo much for the advice and compliments! I will definitely be doing my research, asking for advice, and posting updates. Have any of you used shea moisture products before? I am using their hair milk and curl pudding
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 12:45 am

I'd love to use shea moisture but they don't sell it at the Targets out here
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 16th July 2010, 12:53 am

Ok so maybe I will stick with that and see how it works. I absolutely love the way it smells Smile. What is Vatika oil?
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 16th July 2010, 1:13 am

Congrats Selena! You look fab! I cosign with Sweet about moisture. It will take some time to get your moisture level up so that should be your main focus.

Condition as often as you like. I cowashed every day when I was your length. Your hair craves moisture, especially now. Wash n gos will be your style for the most part. You have the easiest hair phase right now, so enjoy watching your hair grow from phase to phase!

Get a small spray bottle and fill it with water and your fave oils, leave in conditioner. Spray your TWA when you feel a little dry. This helped me in the summer months last year. I transitioned for 3 months and was your length this time last year. Hope this helps!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 1:24 am

I'm reading the package:
Vatika oil is pure coconut oil with henna, amla and lemon (that's the front of the bottle)

Ingredients are coconut oil, neem, brahmi, fruit extracts of amla, bahera and harar, kapur kachri, henna, milk, rosemary oil, lemon oil, TBHQ (I have no cluse what that is) and fragrance.

I love the way it smells!
I bought it in an international market while I was looking for henna.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 16th July 2010, 1:30 am

@curlsgalore Thank u! You look fab! What are the best oils? I don't want to oversaturate with oils that are unnecessary.

@whosthatredhead it sounds fabulous!!! I may have to look that up online. How long ago did you BC?
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 1:36 am

I BC'd back in January. There was no transition I had to shave my head. (My story is on my curl street journal) My hair is growing in nicely. Especially now that I've taken an interest in learning how to care for my hair.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 16th July 2010, 1:39 am

It looks lovely, I can't wait to add some color to mine. I'm thinking honey blond Smile. I'm so excited at the possibilities of everything I will be able to do with it.
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 16th July 2010, 1:42 am

BellaLuna wrote:It looks lovely, I can't wait to add some color to mine. I'm thinking honey blond [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I'm so excited at the possibilities of everything I will be able to do with it.

Thanks. The red is my natural color. I've been working on lightening it up for the summer. I found a receipe on youtube for a cinnamon honey conditioner that I use once a week to try to lighten it up a bit.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 16th July 2010, 2:37 am

BellaLuna wrote:@curlsgalore Thank u! You look fab! What are the best oils? I don't want to oversaturate with oils that are unnecessary.
You're welcome and thank you! I really like Vatika oil, too. I've been using it lately. I also love simple, inexpensive oils like EVOO, coconut oil, Jojoba, and castor oil. I use these in my mixes, not neccesarily on top of my hair, unless I just washed. I use the first two for prepooing before washing.

@whosthatredhead it sounds fabulous!!! I may have to look that up online. How long ago did you BC?
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 16th July 2010, 7:43 pm

Congrats on your bc! Lovely! I chopped 2 weeks ago and I'm still struggling with moisture. Like you, I have no idea what I'm doing. Somebody should come up with a big chop/twa primer. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Enjoy your journey!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 16th July 2010, 7:52 pm

@freckledmom4 I'm telling you! Lol, I am completely lost lol
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 16th July 2010, 11:47 pm

Congrats to both of you ladies.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 17th July 2010, 2:32 pm

Congrats on your BC. I BC'd in march and I too suffered from dryness. just follow everything they said about moisture and you will be fine. Listen to your hair, I know you are saying listen to my hair? Believe me as time goes on your hair will talk to you and you will know what she likes and does not like. When I BC'd I lived by Herbal Essence Hello Hydration as a co-wash and leave in.

Congrats again and sit back and enjoy the ride.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by EmbracingNaturalMe 17th July 2010, 6:54 pm

Congrats! My advice is to be patient with your hair. It took my hair about 2 weeks before the dryness went away. I cowashed daily in the beginning. Always follow up your cowash with a good water-based leave-in and seal with the oil of your choice. You may also consider trying a vegetable glycerin/water spritz. There is a thread on here about this as well as lots of videos on this subject on You Tube. The vegetable glycerin will help keep your hair moisturized. Welcome to the natural family.
EmbracingNaturalMe
EmbracingNaturalMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down