CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wedding Hair Disaster

+10
BajanPrincess82
Juices-n-Berries
justicenga
Myeka33
Ms.Fenty
tiashaunteƩ
ChelleBelle
ChrsLvsBks
envizionj
krys419
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wedding Hair Disaster - Page 2 Empty Re: Wedding Hair Disaster

Post by krys419 15th July 2010, 10:49 pm

JnB
Yes I will give it a try probably tomorrow. I have a friend coming over I haven't seen in a while so I have to take these plaits out and look presentable..LOL So probably tomorrow or weekend since I have some errands to do. As for the weave, well I actually have some weave I would be using already. A couple days ago I straightened a piece of my hair and teh relaxed hair blends pretty much perfectly. So it would just be my roots that would cause the problem. I thought maybe this would be easier because then I wouldn't have a big fat poofy slick look. But then again weaves can be pretty bulky as well. i see your point [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

HappyCurly. thanks that gives me hope. I figured it was pretty much the same thing but I think you may be right.. I guess I'm just concerned ebcause I'm scared of being too rough on my hair. im sure you understand. What routine did you have practiced? I'm curious how did you do your buns?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 15th July 2010, 11:02 pm

aww, happy to help!!

my buns were not slick or flat, so i'm not sure i have the routine to follow! i generally didn't choose to wear buns unless i didn't have time to braid it up for a braid out, after i washed it. after i washed it, i would put some type of oil on it.

if i did wear a bun, i went to bed with it in two big plaits, just to keep it from tangling while i slept. then i woke up, combed it while it was dry (i know, not the best plan!) i didn't comb it a lot or try to get the comb to the inner layers of my hair. i just got it all heading in the direction i wanted. then i used a scrunchy to tie it in a pony tail, and wrapped the hair around in donut. next i put another scrunchy (that matches my outfit) around the donut, so it wouldn't fall out. it didn't look fancy! but i felt ok with it.

try to remember why you opted to transition. remind yourself of this when you feel like you don't know what to do. it probably wasn't because you wanted to have healthier hair, since your relaxed hair already felt healthy. but what was it? maybe you felt like only doing things that felt good to your scalp? maybe you don't want to feel like you don't like what your hair feels like right before it's time for a relaxer?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 15th July 2010, 11:06 pm

I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but wearing a scarf aroudn the hair while it dries helps the roots to lay flatter without heat.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 15th July 2010, 11:10 pm

That's great advice HC! I do this also. I set the hair with a scarf for at least 15 minutes (sometimes even overnight) and it works wonders!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 15th July 2010, 11:31 pm

J N B: Thanks! What sort of styles do you do after you've got your hair slicked down a bit with the scarf?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 15th July 2010, 11:31 pm

I agree with everyone. You need to do some trial hair styles. Maybe you can borrow different gels from friends or family to try out so that you will not have to waste money buying something that may not work. I agree with the other ladies when they say do it soaking wet, put in your products and tie it down. If it does not work for you then just wash it out and try again. Dig around on youtube for hair taiming ideas from ladies that may have hair kind of like yours. You will not know your hair until you really get in there and work with it. Be patient and do not waste another day by not experimenting. August will be here before you know it! You have tons of knowledgeable people on the board.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 16th July 2010, 1:21 am

HappyCurly wrote:J N B: Thanks! What sort of styles do you do after you've got your hair slicked down a bit with the scarf?

I just do a puff. Or a mini frohawk. That's about all my hair can do at this length. I can't wait to bun!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Marci Pie 16th July 2010, 1:41 am

I also agree with the previous posts that you CAN get your hair into a bun. I would be more concerned if I had to wear my hair out.

I would not get a relaxer as a gift to my cousin. I understand that your cousin wants a certain look but I really think it is ridiculous to make everyone have the same hairstyle if it might not be possible for one. What if your hair was short? There would be no possible way to get into her bridesmaid's style. I guess you couldn't be in the wedding then. Frankly, if your cousin is that selfish and can't understand then I wouldn't want to be in her wedding. Some brides go over board with wedding stuff! I would have never put my bridesmaid thru this type of stress. I hope her marriage lasts with all this stuff!

Just my opinion!

Marci Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 16th July 2010, 2:48 am

HappyCurl. Hey So yours weren't flat either. I'm guessing it eas thick hair? I might try some oil to slick it with the gel. And yes I realized flatting it down with a scarf helps.

lol about a month ago I really slicked my hair.. It looked pretty good but I had to keep the front middle in a hump because it wouldnt lie flat...later today i'll try it. And I want to go natural because I feel people's hair who have dreads, their roots are gorgeous and I get a little jealous. And whenever I need a relaxer I love how my roots feel. Family calls it nappy, but I love my natural hair feeling. It may not looks the hottest, but it feels GREAT. Also I think it's unnecessary to put chemicals on your head that seep into your skin. That's pretty dangerous. I want to live as long as possible

Dream the gels idea is great. And believe me I have tried seeeearching for transitioning ladies with my texture on youtube past few weeks and to be honest majority slicked styles looked really ugly. People with thin/normal transitioning hair slicked back looked great. Also there re not many longterm transitioners.

Marci Pie I was joking about getting a relaxer as a gift to her. And I honestly just don't think she understands about my hair. She already has the lady who is going to do their hair so I'm not going to make a big deal about it now.

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 16th July 2010, 11:28 am

Marci Pie, I agree. The only rule for my bridesmaids was "no big hair!" I made that rule specifically for two of them, one who is natural and the other one who is just dramatic. lol I didn't want to be outshined on my big day!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 16th July 2010, 3:31 pm

I disagree with a few of yall. When I have my wedding I would like everyone to have the same style as well. Whether it be a slick look, or twists or curly, etc. If one person stands out it takes away from the bride.

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 17th July 2010, 1:39 pm

No , my buns were never flat, but I didn't ever try to make them flat either.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 18th July 2010, 3:43 pm

Thanks happy curly..

To anyone else if it makes any difference this is my cousin's hair curl pretty much, except each strand is very thick and if she wanted to she could blow dry it out and make it a little bushy. It's funny when she complains about her hair. The curl pattern is much looser than this though because she only wears it straight
http://www.i10media.com/news/articles/chilli.jpg

And I havent tried the style yet. i have my hair in a braid out that i have tried to perfect. let you guys know soon!

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 22nd July 2010, 9:59 pm

Okay soooo I did it and it was flat, but not straight...so it's workable

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 25th July 2010, 10:07 pm

Also I went to cousin's bridal shower yesterday and ehr other cousin on her father's side also has natural hair and is goign to be in the wedding...well she had some coils inher hair..I think just the roots were natural so she is probably transitioning as well. Cant wait to see her hair at the wedding

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 26th July 2010, 10:50 am

krys315 wrote:Also I went to cousin's bridal shower yesterday and ehr other cousin on her father's side also has natural hair and is goign to be in the wedding...well she had some coils inher hair..I think just the roots were natural so she is probably transitioning as well. Cant wait to see her hair at the wedding

Maybe you guys can team up and come up with a style for the wedding. Just a thought.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 10th August 2010, 12:06 pm

Hey Krys just curious if you figured out a style for you cousin's wedding
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 10th August 2010, 12:27 pm

Hey yes I just decided I will go to the salon and have them gel me up. I will wash my hair and blow it out before I go to them though, so I don't risk them being rough on my hair (will be 9 months post relaxer). So I guess they can flat iron it for me then do it in the style my cousin wants which is a side do with a weave ponytail added on then just in fancy curls (like a prom hairstyle)

I'm sure it will be nice. I think I will be able to manage since it is transitioning hair not 100% natural. But I am doing it the night before. Thanks for asking

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 23rd August 2010, 1:08 am

No prob Surprised) and I like that style...post pics from the wedding if you can
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Wedding Hair Disaster - Page 2 Empty WEDDING IS IN 6 days

Post by krys419 23rd August 2010, 9:11 am

Okay wedding is this coming saturday!

I will post pics when I can. I go to school that sunday so i wont post til the following week maybe. Getting my hair done thurs nit the 26th.. THANKS wveryone!. Going to the salon hoping they can gel it all down

krys419

Back to top Go down

Wedding Hair Disaster - Page 2 Empty DONE!

Post by krys419 27th August 2010, 12:23 pm

Got my hair done last night (thurs)
Wedding is tomorrow..(sat) but my hair is super hard so it will last

It looks veryy smooth. First she washed and conditioned and combed out then put me under dryer (no wrap or anything) for like 15 minutes. Then she blew me out. It hurt like heck and my hair kept making the attachable comb fly off! lmbo. afro She got it nicely straight with the dryer in my roots, then straightened with flat iron. My hair looked great. i will admit some of my hair came out, but it was expected as I rarely comb out my dead hair this summer.. LOL My hair was looking so badass with the straightening. then she pulled it to the right side and tyed it. and braided my pny tail into a bun Then she put some blm type stuff in it then spritzed and cool blow dried then spritzed then cool air blow dried then spritz...then she put the tracks around my bun and secured with boby pins then made curls and spritzed . then pinned the curls down.

I'm going to take pics right now, but need to find my USB cable to upload. Wil lupload in next few days

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 27th August 2010, 1:11 pm

yaaay! it sounds like it looks good...cant wait to see the pics...and just a suggestion....when you are ready to take down your hairstyle, do a deep condition treatment since the stylist used lots of product and heat on your hair
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 27th August 2010, 1:14 pm

oh yeah i forget to say have fun at the wedding!!! my friend is getting married early September and i cant wait...i love weddings lol
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2