CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP!

2 posters

Go down

I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP! Empty I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP!

Post by Prima'Donna Jones 12th July 2010, 11:41 pm

Hello! My name is Shay and i'm a newby at going natural. At this point I guess you can say I am transitioning, exciting but also very lost [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I've bought a few products along the way as well, and I do enjoy the Organic Root Stimulator line. At times I find myself overly enthused to go for the BC and at other times, not so willing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Fortunately, my natural hair is very fine and curly. Sadly i've been destroying my natural hair by relaxing it for almost 10yrs now. Being that I am not ready to be BC'D, how can I still manage to take care of the relaxed hair until i'm ready to be BC'D? Every night I cream my hair with Olive Oil by O.R.S, twist it up, and tie it with my satin head scarf. Although, I would like other healthy techniques on how to gain my natural hair back. Other hair products, how often do I wash, other ways to maintain my curls etc...? I have a short haircut that's cut into three different lengths. A side bang, short sides, and extra low in the back. I WAN'T MY NATURALLY CURLY HAIR BACK, that I once thought was extra lame. How do I begin this process.............anyone? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Prima'Donna Jones
Prima'Donna Jones

Back to top Go down

I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP! Empty Re: I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP!

Post by Thumbi 13th July 2010, 12:35 am

Hi Shay:

Transitioning takes A LOT of patience. I transitioned for 13 months, just BC'd at the end of May and every time I washed my hair I wanted to chop off those scraggly ends. It was frustrating, but I knew that I wasn't ready to chop, so I pushed through.

Forums and Blogs like this one, YouTube, and Fotki were life savers. When I first decided I was going to grow out my hair I spent hours researching products, techniques, looking for people with similar hair length/type. I used them for inspiration and got creative myself. That's exactly where I'd suggest you start - start searching for natural hair or natural hair care and see where it takes you!

As far as products go, its really all about trial and error because no two heads of hair are alike - even if the textures are similar. I can tell you what I have come to love: coconut oil (I use it for everything), organix coconut milk shampoo & conditioner, herbal essences hello hydration, shea butter, WATER, devacurl one conditioner. Most of them are pretty inexpensive, but very effective. These are all suggestions I've gotten from hair boards/blogs/vlogs and tried and loved. There are some I've tried, that my hair absolutely hated.

There is a lot to learn, just take it one step at a time, and don't hesitate to ask lots of questions!
Thumbi
Thumbi

http://public.fotki.com/Thumbi/

Back to top Go down

I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP! Empty Re: I WOULD SO LOVE IT IF I COULD GET A BIG SIS ASAP!

Post by Prima'Donna Jones 13th July 2010, 7:06 pm

Hello Thumbi, I highly appreciate your feedback. I do understand that this process takes A LOT of patience and I can honestly say that I am ready [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. See i'm willing to BC, just not so soon. I'm totally fine with a short haircut. My hair has always been very fine and a little thin. With that being said, I am a lil nervous to rock a TWA with thin hair. For now I would like to grow out my perm for a bit and take care of what little hair I do have. I start school in September and I have no idea how to syle my hair at this point. I'm so use to getting my hair done every 2wks. I've NEVER had the pleasure of physically taking care of my own hair. Is it ok for me to wear a sew-in while i'm transitioning? Like I said, my main focus right now is just to grow out my relaxer and add some extra length to my hair.
Prima'Donna Jones
Prima'Donna Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumbi 13th July 2010, 10:25 pm

Yup, a lot of people transition with weaves - I had braids for three months during my transition, and wore braids during many summers while relaxed and didn't have damage - just make sure you don't get it braided too tight and be sure to take care of your hair under the weave (oil your scalp, spray your hair with a good moisturizer) because you are looking out first and foremost for the health of your hair.

The only downside of transitioning with weaves/braids is that you don't get to learn about your hair as it grows. The only way you will learn to style it is to style it!

When you twist up your hair at night do you do it for a twistout?
Thumbi
Thumbi

http://public.fotki.com/Thumbi/

Back to top Go down

Post by Prima'Donna Jones 14th July 2010, 12:05 am

Yes I do, I actually wear it all out. Very self concsious, but I rock it. I usually wash it every Monday, co-wash it every Friday, and twist it every night with Olive Oil by Organic Root Stimulator. A little frustrating being that the hair in the back is a bit too short to twist. I deal though. Is there any products that you would like to recommend?
Prima'Donna Jones
Prima'Donna Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down