CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask oooop2

+29
Pi*Jay
NikG20
wyldhoney
TriniCherryPrincess
DvaAuNaturel
carfi366
WildOnce
ladybug
BeautifullyImpurfekt
Juices-n-Berries
sweetdrk1
svrbrownsuga
NhappyJackie
Mrsafro
Lynnieluve
Dorian
Intelligentbeauty
Hollis
Phoenix
Offandrunning
Ziggs
tiashaunteé
yokiedokie
quake_19
dajewel
oooop2
AfrikanLatina
nmoultry
*CurlyNikki*
33 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ask oooop2 - Page 5 Empty Re: Ask oooop2

Post by Juices-n-Berries 23rd April 2010, 2:02 am

Thanks so much for the info on how you do your fro. I was contemplating doing a blowout this weekend for a 70s party, but I'm terrified of heat damage. I've decided to try your method instead. I'll let you know how it goes. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyImpurfekt 23rd April 2010, 3:40 pm

I LOVE YOUR HAIR, it is so beautiful!!! I just wanted to know what products do you recommend for growing your hair out and keeping it shiny? I have tried a few and its like crash and burn and they are drying my hair out...what am i doing wrong??? HELP please, lol!
BeautifullyImpurfekt
BeautifullyImpurfekt

https://www.facebook.com/KeishHarrell

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 23rd April 2010, 5:07 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Thanks so much for the info on how you do your fro. I was contemplating doing a blowout this weekend for a 70s party, but I'm terrified of heat damage. I've decided to try your method instead. I'll let you know how it goes. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Or you can always create a ponytail puff, if you don't want a BAA.

Here is my current style. Did it on Wed:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The key is well moisturized hair and some cut off nylons. Makes the perfect puff everytime Smile

BeautifullyImpurfekt wrote:I LOVE YOUR HAIR, it is so beautiful!!! I just wanted to know what products do you recommend for growing your hair out and keeping it shiny? I have tried a few and its like crash and burn and they are drying my hair out...what am i doing wrong??? HELP please, lol!

Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate it Smile

I believe that finding the right products for your hair comes w/trial and error. Hence why it's important to take note of what works/doesn't work in your hair. Folks around here love Devacurl. My hair HATES it. Folks also love Pantene. My hair used to love it until it started growing. Now it feels terrible on my hair. Folks rave about Aubrey Organics, it's okay on my hair, but nothing spectacular. Now what my hair does love is Herbal Essence condish, it doesn't matter the color, castor oil, and shea butter. I may dabble with other products to see if my hair likes them, but ultimately I know that if I want soft moisturized hair with defined curls, all I need is those 3 products listed.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 26th April 2010, 11:34 pm

Hi OOOOP2,
I just made a batch of your shea mixture and my hair is loving it! Thanks for the recipe. I believe my recipes had too much shea and was too heavy for my hair, but your recipe is perfect.

Thanks Again!
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 27th April 2010, 2:49 pm

ladybug wrote:Hi OOOOP2,
I just made a batch of your shea mixture and my hair is loving it! Thanks for the recipe. I believe my recipes had too much shea and was too heavy for my hair, but your recipe is perfect.

Thanks Again!

Hey....I'm glad you like it Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 27th April 2010, 2:57 pm

Your tips worked great I was able to achieve a fro a lot easier than I used to. I was really making a mess back in the day and that's why I have really done a fro since. Thanks!!!

tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 27th April 2010, 5:23 pm

tiashauntee wrote:Your tips worked great I was able to achieve a fro a lot easier than I used to. I was really making a mess back in the day and that's why I have really done a fro since. Thanks!!!

Now that's HOT!!!! Love it!!!! afro
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by WildOnce 10th May 2010, 2:07 pm

I need HELP!!!!!!! I think that shea butter may be to heavy for my hair right now. I put maybe half a teaspoon in my hair(melted in my hands first) this was last night and I put the reg quarter size amount of EVOO on my hair. Ummmmm when I touch my hair it feels kinda greasy and its not shiny at all...which it usually is when I use EVOO and HEHH.........I have mango butter to try but idk what to do....and I havent tried coconut oil/butter yet.
WildOnce
WildOnce

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 12th May 2010, 5:50 pm

Is your avatar your current length? If so, you are probably using too much product. How are you styling your hair? Were you applying to dry/damp/wet hair? I find that shea and oils work best on damp/wet hair. Are you just doing a WnG or is your hair long enough to do coils/mini twist? If you are just doing a WnG, then definitely reduce the amount of product you are using. If wearing twist, it's okay to add that much product b/c it will eventually absorb and leave your hair moisturized.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by WildOnce 13th May 2010, 1:28 am

Yes that is my current length...and no I cant do any twist yet.....I tried and ended up with idk what so I slicked the sides back with ecostyler olive oil gel. I also decided to try coconut oil and I think I'm gonna stick with that and olive oil until I get some lenght
WildOnce
WildOnce

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 25th May 2010, 12:20 pm

Hi how do you do a two strand twist? I have 4a hair type, that tends to get dry and frizzy. I have tried to do the twists but they look like frizzy piles of idk what, not suitable for wearing outside the house. Help!
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 27th May 2010, 9:59 pm

Hi OOOOP2,
I have a TWA, approx 2.5-3 inches, and recently twisted my hair. It came out pretty good. I used Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Creme+Honeybush Tea Gel (sunday).

I left my hair twisted and undid my twists, with EVCO on my hands, on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening I applied Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream+Olive Honey Hydrating Balm. Today my hair was very moisturized and had a nice sheen.

You stated a couple of pages back that you make sure your hair is very, very well moisturized when you twist and this helps you avoid having to add products after your twist out and that you just fluff and go.

How do you just fluff and go with your twist out? My hair was a little smushed....lol....when I woke up so I fluffed (with EVCO on my hands). Should I continue to fluff but ensure I have oil on my hands? I just want to be sure I avoid frizziness, something my hair has been prone too since I was a child. I have elementary school pics to prove it....LOL!

TIA for your input/response.

btw...your hair is so AWESOME!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th May 2010, 1:39 am

WildOnce wrote:Yes that is my current length...and no I cant do any twist yet.....I tried and ended up with idk what so I slicked the sides back with ecostyler olive oil gel. I also decided to try coconut oil and I think I'm gonna stick with that and olive oil until I get some lenght

Try doing coils on your hair. Those can be really cute on your length.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th May 2010, 1:48 am

carfi366 wrote:Hi how do you do a two strand twist? I have 4a hair type, that tends to get dry and frizzy. I have tried to do the twists but they look like frizzy piles of idk what, not suitable for wearing outside the house. Help!

Hi,

My daughter has type 4a hair that is also very frizzy and tangles easily. For me the best way to do her hair is:

1. Wash condish detangle and place in large twist. About 8. Then let her hair airdry til damp but not dripping.

2. Apply my Shea mix to 1 twist at a time and comb through. Before twisting, apply small amt of ORS gel to hair and create about 2 to 3 twist.

3. Repeat above process until head has been retwisted.

Unlike mine and my other daughters hair, her twist only last about 3 days before looking frizzy. To preserve them, I don't apply any water based products to her hair. And I apply my Shea mix daily. I also cover with a stocking cap at night to help maintain the style.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th May 2010, 2:05 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:Hi OOOOP2,
I have a TWA, approx 2.5-3 inches, and recently twisted my hair. It came out pretty good. I used Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Creme+Honeybush Tea Gel (sunday).

I left my hair twisted and undid my twists, with EVCO on my hands, on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening I applied Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream+Olive Honey Hydrating Balm. Today my hair was very moisturized and had a nice sheen.

You stated a couple of pages back that you make sure your hair is very, very well moisturized when you twist and this helps you avoid having to add products after your twist out and that you just fluff and go.

How do you just fluff and go with your twist out? My hair was a little smushed....lol....when I woke up so I fluffed (with EVCO on my hands). Should I continue to fluff but ensure I have oil on my hands? I just want to be sure I avoid frizziness, something my hair has been prone too since I was a child. I have elementary school pics to prove it....LOL!

Hey....I remember when my hair was your lenght. Maintaining twistout were a bit of a challenge. Did you sleep with your hair covered? How long did you wear your twist prior to doing twistouts? Did you find that your twistouts were well defined initially or did you already have some frizz??

The key to lasting twistouts is to start out with great definition achieved from twist. Try using a gel or setting lotion in addition to your moisturizing cream when you twist. Then sit under a dryer so that the hair will set.

With good definition at your length, you should be able to cover hair at night. Then in the morning apply some hair cream on hands and lightly rub over hair in a back and forth motion.

Once your hair grows, you can retwist hair at night into chunky twist to preserve the twistout. Or apply a loose ponytail.

Thanks for the hair compliment. I truly appreciate it.

Hope my advice helps Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 29th May 2010, 10:35 pm

oooop2 wrote:
DvaAuNaturel wrote:Hi OOOOP2,

Hey....I remember when my hair was your lenght. Maintaining twistout were a bit of a challenge. Did you sleep with your hair covered? How long did you wear your twist prior to doing twistouts? Did you find that your twistouts were well defined initially or did you already have some frizz??

The key to lasting twistouts is to start out with great definition achieved from twist. Try using a gel or setting lotion in addition to your moisturizing cream when you twist. Then sit under a dryer so that the hair will set.

With good definition at your length, you should be able to cover hair at night. Then in the morning apply some hair cream on hands and lightly rub over hair in a back and forth motion.

Once your hair grows, you can retwist hair at night into chunky twist to preserve the twistout. Or apply a loose ponytail.

Thanks for the hair compliment. I truly appreciate it.

Hope my advice helps Smile

Did you sleep with your hair covered? Yes. I use a satin bonnet and sleep on a satin pillowcase.
How long did you wear your twist prior to doing twistouts? 2 days
Did you find that your twistouts were well defined initially or did you already have some frizz? The definition was so-so. I twisted wet and let them air dry. I do believe there was a little frizz when I undid them.

Thanks so much for your response. I think I need to be sure to use gel or setting lotion just as you mention to ensure hold. I plan to leave make the twist smaller next time and leave in longer. I'll also try the dryer as well.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 31st May 2010, 11:12 pm

oooop2 wrote:
carfi366 wrote:Hi how do you do a two strand twist? I have 4a hair type, that tends to get dry and frizzy. I have tried to do the twists but they look like frizzy piles of idk what, not suitable for wearing outside the house. Help!

Hi,

My daughter has type 4a hair that is also very frizzy and tangles easily. For me the best way to do her hair is:

1. Wash condish detangle and place in large twist. About 8. Then let her hair airdry til damp but not dripping.

2. Apply my Shea mix to 1 twist at a time and comb through. Before twisting, apply small amt of ORS gel to hair and create about 2 to 3 twist.

Unlike mine and my other daughters hair, her twist only last about 3 days before looking frizzy. To preserve them, I don't apply any water based products to her hair. And I apply my Shea mix daily. I also cover with a stocking cap at night to help maintain the style.

Thanks oooop2 look forward to trying this out and sharing my results.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 1st June 2010, 12:19 am

carfi366 wrote:
oooop2 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks oooop2 look forward to trying this out and sharing my results.

Keep me posted Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 1st June 2010, 12:22 am

I posted this on the Twisting Challenge, but wanted to also share this here:

My hubby and I made a road trip to Cleveland to see Maxwell. Around 8am, I washed my 2 week old twist hair with Organixs Tea Tree Shampoo, then conditioned with HE Totally Twisted. On wet hair I applied an amazing Shea butter mix that my girl made, and twisted with Twist n Loc gel.

I let my hair air dry til about 5pm

Enjoying a martini Smile

Then I did twistouts for the concert.

Ready for Jill and Maxwell

Just wanted to show that you don't have to wear twist for a long time to get nice twistouts...It's all about the right products that will give you the best definition. Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 4th June 2010, 10:15 am

Love it!!! What was the shea butter mix? Do you like the twist and loc gel better than the Eco-styler gel? I have not done twists with gel because I'm afraid the gel will make my hair drier. Love the top for the Maxwell show was that a top or dress? You looked beautiful!
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 4th June 2010, 10:08 pm

carfi366 wrote:Love it!!! What was the shea butter mix? Do you like the twist and loc gel better than the Eco-styler gel? I have not done twists with gel because I'm afraid the gel will make my hair drier. Love the top for the Maxwell show was that a top or dress? You looked beautiful!

Here is my friends mix:

She basically used the same ingredients at me, but hers is a smoother/creamier consistency.

I actually really like the Twist n Loc gel for my twist. I prefer ECO for my WnGs. Neither leave my hair feeling dry. However, that may be b/c I make sure my hair is properly moisturized prior to applying it.

Thanks for the compliment. We really had a great time at the show. It's actually a top that I purchased at TJMaxx..Love that store Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 7th June 2010, 8:20 pm

Hi Oooop2! I've been trying to figure out my hair type so that it'll be easier to take hair advice from this site. Someone shared this link LOIS and I think I've figured myself out using this. Do you think you could take a look and tell me what the parallel of 4/b is according to their chart? Please and thank you!
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

http://www.AllThingsLena.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 11th June 2010, 1:23 am

TriniCherryPrincess wrote:Hi Oooop2! I've been trying to figure out my hair type so that it'll be easier to take hair advice from this site. Someone shared this link LOIS and I think I've figured myself out using this. Do you think you could take a look and tell me what the parallel of 4/b is according to their chart? Please and thank you!

Oh..I wish I could help you, but I found this method to be more confusing than the other ones. I prefer the typing method used on naturallycurly.com http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type4

Sorry I couldn't help with your question.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 11th June 2010, 4:22 pm

0o0o0o0 ok, thanks anyway
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

http://www.AllThingsLena.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 11th June 2010, 7:40 pm

Oh my gosh, I think I just found hair triplets!!

Oooop2, no matter what I try I can't get twists that don't look a frizzed out mess by day 3. Me, your daughter and carfi366 all seem to have the same type of hair.

Have you ever managed to get a week out of her twists? I can't seem to achieve that no matter how I try. I need some advice!
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next