CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask oooop2

+29
Pi*Jay
NikG20
wyldhoney
TriniCherryPrincess
DvaAuNaturel
carfi366
WildOnce
ladybug
BeautifullyImpurfekt
Juices-n-Berries
sweetdrk1
svrbrownsuga
NhappyJackie
Mrsafro
Lynnieluve
Dorian
Intelligentbeauty
Hollis
Phoenix
Offandrunning
Ziggs
tiashaunteé
yokiedokie
quake_19
dajewel
oooop2
AfrikanLatina
nmoultry
*CurlyNikki*
33 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ask oooop2 Empty Ask oooop2

Post by *CurlyNikki* 14th November 2009, 2:40 pm

oooop2 is gorgeous and clearly good at growing long and strong. This chica has also got some serious styles to share! Ask her your questions here!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Ask oooop2 Empty Re: Ask oooop2

Post by nmoultry 16th November 2009, 10:48 am

I love you hair!!!! Everytime I try to wear a headband like the one in your pic it pops back up..LOL

Is there a secret to keep them on? Should I put on an elastic headband first? Elastic ones are usually the ones I wear

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 16th November 2009, 5:03 pm

What do you put on the ends of your twists?
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 16th November 2009, 11:55 pm

Nik......

Thanks for wanting to add me as a CurlyFriend. My hair growth has definitely been a labor of love.

A little background on my hair journey.

On Feb 9, 1998, I went from a SL perm to a scalp cut in 1 sitting. I was tired of dealing with my hair and just wanted a sense of freedom. Plus I was cheap and didn't want to pay $85 for a wash, cut, and style in San Fran.

For 7yrs, I wore my scalp cut and LOVED it. Went to see my beloved barber every 2 weeks, and couldn't imagine wearing my hair any other way. Then in Oct. 2005, we learned that my husband was going to get relocated to Kobe, Japan with his job. I started to inquire about barbers in the area, and a local black family also with my husbands company living there quickly educated me on the fact the I would have to become a DIYer... So uninterested in cutting my own hair, in Nov 2005, I went to see my barber for the last time and decided to let my hair grow.

Although at this point I had been natural for 7yrs, I literally knew nothing about caring for my natural hair. I remember my hair feeling so dry to the touch. I would wash with shampoo, rinse, then apply a small amt of condish and rack through my hair. I remember thinking that that big ball of hair that would be in my shower was a normal part of being natural once your hair started growing.

Then in 2007, I was just disgusted at how terrible my oldest daughters hair looked. So I did a google search on black hair. Up came a familiar hair site. I had NO IDEA these sites even existed. I remember reading about co-washing, baggying, castor oil, etc, and wondered WTH were these women talking about. But as I started searching out the site, I saw the most beautiful heads of black hair, and quickly took note.

You can check out my hair journey here:

http://public.fotki.com/oooop2/

Although I still have a lot to learn, I am proud with the results I've been able to accomplish thus far.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 16th November 2009, 11:59 pm

nmoultry wrote:I love you hair!!!! Everytime I try to wear a headband like the one in your pic it pops back up..LOL

Is there a secret to keep them on? Should I put on an elastic headband first? Elastic ones are usually the ones I wear

I am hit or miss when it comes to headbands. I can only wear them in my hairline is relatively flat (ex mini-twist or WnG). Any other styles and they pop up. I got this headband at the dollar store. But all my oils/shea started to loosen up the ribbon so I had to trash it Sad

AfrikanLatina wrote:What do you put on the ends of your twists?

I make a mix that consist of shea butter, castor oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. I apply this mix to damp hair and twist. Then I spritz in the morning w/ a glycerin/water/aloe vera gel blend and apply the shea mix to my ends.

HTHs!! Very Happy
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 17th November 2009, 1:41 pm

how do you shampoo your hair? i had an issue with tangles that i posted in my thread. i always shampoo my hair in six sections(three on each side) and pin, but the tangles in the middle left and right were madness!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by quake_19 18th November 2009, 12:01 pm

Hello Oooop2,

How do you keep your ends twisted? I'm trying to wear twists this fall/winter (I've only done WnGs), but my hair is fighting me. I tried twisting it myself with a shea butter mix I created myself, as well as going to the salon to get it twisted. It doesn't matter, it just won't stay twisted. It unravels at the ends by the end of the day. Help!
quake_19
quake_19

http://public.fotki.com/curlycrecia/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 20th November 2009, 12:27 am

dajewel wrote:how do you shampoo your hair? i had an issue with tangles that i posted in my thread. i always shampoo my hair in six sections(three on each side) and pin, but the tangles in the middle left and right were madness!!

I wash my hair twisted. I first saturate my hair, then I wash. Here is an example of how I wash my hair: http://public.fotki.com/oooop2/2009-hair/july/img6286.html

I used my own shea mix or qhemet products on my hair.

quake_19 wrote:Hello Oooop2,

How do you keep your ends twisted? I'm trying to wear twists this fall/winter (I've only done WnGs), but my hair is fighting me. I tried twisting it myself with a shea butter mix I created myself, as well as going to the salon to get it twisted. It doesn't matter, it just won't stay twisted. It unravels at the ends by the end of the day. Help!

I spritz my hair w/ a glycerin-water mix, and I apply my shea butter mix to my ends. It keeps my hair really nice and soft. Are your ends straight? Are you twisting on dry or wet hair? Try twisting on damp hair and applying some gel on your ends to see if that helps.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 20th November 2009, 12:32 am

i did your same method when i co-washed with stellar results!!! and then, i guess i made the mistake to shampoo/cleanse in sections. i just didn't put two and two together that i need to shampoo/cleanse with my hair in twists. do you think the type of shampoo can also encourage tangling?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by yokiedokie 20th November 2009, 11:22 pm

oooop2: Which Qhemet products do you use?
yokiedokie
yokiedokie

https://www.facebook.com/ystrachan

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 21st November 2009, 12:56 am

dajewel wrote:i did your same method when i co-washed with stellar results!!! and then, i guess i made the mistake to shampoo/cleanse in sections. i just didn't put two and two together that i need to shampoo/cleanse with my hair in twists. do you think the type of shampoo can also encourage tangling?

Definitely. If I use poo, I have to dilute with water before applying to my hair or my hair gets tangled. When my hair was shorter, using poo wasn't a problem. But now, I can't just apply to my hair without diluting. Hence why I choose to wash with baking soda.

yokiedokie wrote:oooop2: Which Qhemet products do you use?

I love the Alma and Olive Heavy Cream. I also use the Alma Oil Pomade.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 21st November 2009, 12:18 pm

so, i shouldn't have a problem with shampoo-ing my hair in twists with undiluted shampoo?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 23rd November 2009, 9:44 pm

dajewel wrote:so, i shouldn't have a problem with shampoo-ing my hair in twists with undiluted shampoo?

You shouldn't...Just make sure to DC or just a good moisturizing condish after.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th November 2009, 12:43 am

hmmm, i will!

another question: do you find that you get shed hairs tangled (i guess) at the very end of one strand? i maybe get one-three strands of hair that do this. i am thinking is just my hair shedding and traveling down the twists. fyi: i eliminated the use of wide tooth combs and just finger detangle.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th November 2009, 9:48 pm

dajewel wrote:hmmm, i will!

another question: do you find that you get shed hairs tangled (i guess) at the very end of one strand? i maybe get one-three strands of hair that do this. i am thinking is just my hair shedding and traveling down the twists. fyi: i eliminated the use of wide tooth combs and just finger detangle.

At times I do...But most when my hair is dry and not properly moisturized. I try to keep my hair moisturized some that my shedded strands can easily be removed...
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st December 2009, 1:19 pm

oooop2 wrote:
dajewel wrote:hmmm, i will!

At times I do...But most when my hair is dry and not properly moisturized. I try to keep my hair moisturized some that my shedded strands can easily be removed...

ok, thanks for your insight!!!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 4th December 2009, 1:50 pm

My biggest problem when it comes to hair care advice is that I rarely find anyone with YEARS and naturalness under their belt. Sometimes I feel limited with style options for longer hair, I have no transition stories, and topics like detangling are old to me-I had to do it every time I washed my own hair, maybe since middle school.

I had a Denman brush as a child....it just ripped my hair out. I feel "old" as a natural but yet still so much to learn because like you I didn't know the first thing about properly caring for my hair.

I'm glad you're here!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 5th December 2009, 9:52 pm

tiashauntee wrote:My biggest problem when it comes to hair care advice is that I rarely find anyone with YEARS and naturalness under their belt. Sometimes I feel limited with style options for longer hair, I have no transition stories, and topics like detangling are old to me-I had to do it every time I washed my own hair, maybe since middle school.

I had a Denman brush as a child....it just ripped my hair out. I feel "old" as a natural but yet still so much to learn because like you I didn't know the first thing about properly caring for my hair.

I'm glad you're here!

Yeah..I was shocked that I had been a natural for so long, yet knew nothing about what being natural actually meant...

I happy to be here also....I am learning so much for you guy!!! Very Happy
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 12:42 pm

oooop2, in the "how are you wearing your hair today thread" I love how your twistout falls. How do you set your twists to fall like that?
I would like for mine to fall forward more like:

tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 17th December 2009, 1:22 pm

Hey...Thanks for the compliment..

First, I part my hair in the center to about the middle of my head. I then section off my hair into about 10 large twist.

I get into the shower and wet hair. I then apply a TON of condish (yesterday I used Suave) and detangled each section. Once each section was detangled and retwisted, I removed the condish (while hair is still twisted).

I then hop out of the shower, and while hair is still wet, over with a stocking cap. I then apply a towel bonnet over head to remove the excess water. Just using the bonnet leaves a lot of lint in my hair, so I like covering first with the stocking cap. I leave it on for about 5min b/c I still need my hair to be pretty damp.

I then grab 1 section at a time, untwist, apply my shea mix (whipped shea butter, melted coconut oil, EVOO, and castor oil) to my hair and twist. No matter what I use, this is the ONLY mix that give my hair the best definition. I do this t/o my head until I have about 20 twist.

I let air dry t/o the day. Once completely dry, I untwist. If the parts looks a bit weird, I use my fingers to massage my hair/scalp in order to fluff out my hair some. Once totally untwisted, I just shake my head and go.

Then at night, I just over loosely with a silk scarf. I the morning, I just remove and shake.

Here is what my hair looks like today. This is after taking a 1hr spinning class..

HTHs.....
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 1:32 pm

ok, thanks
I'm going to try placing my twists a different way tonight. My twist out usually falls away from my face and I don't mind that but I just want some variation.

Looking at your co-wash regimen....how long does that take? I normally stand under running water and detangle with my fingers then use my shower comb while I have a ton of condish in my hair. I haven't had a problem with detangling since my "Herbal Essence" escapade.
Since I have to pay a water bill now, I try to conserve $$$
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 17th December 2009, 1:41 pm

If you are trying to conserve do this.

Separate hair into about 10-15 chunky twist. Get into the shower and totally saturate your twist.

Once saturated, turn the water off and hop out of the shower. Make sure you have a good robe..

Then in the mirror, grab 1 twist at a time. Separate the twist, apply a TON of condish to the hair, work it in with fingers, then use a detangle comb to remove the excess shed strands. A lot of times, I only detangle with my hands. I only use a comb if my hair is feeling extremely matted. Once done retwist. Do this until all hair is retwisted w/condish. Then hop back into the shower, hold head under water so that a steady stream can rinse out twist. This is a great way to detangle hair and conserve water.

I'm typically too lazy to hop out the shower, so my detangling sessions take about 20-30min.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggs 29th December 2009, 10:48 am

Hi ooop2, I've been reading your posts and I'm really learning alot. And I love your hair, it looks so healthy and beautiful and you wear it well!

My question is should I shampoo/co-wash my hair before I do a deep treatment.

I currently put Aubrey Organics Honeysuckly Rose Moisturizing Conditioner and Castor Oil on my dry hair, as a deep treament. I either sleep with it on or work out. I leave it on a couple of hours.

I then rinse well, condition wash, detangle with conditioner in sections. I then rinse, put on my leave in conditioner and then twist with my shea butter mix. I do this once a week. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Ziggs
Ziggs

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 31st December 2009, 1:27 am

Ziggs wrote:Hi ooop2, I've been reading your posts and I'm really learning alot. And I love your hair, it looks so healthy and beautiful and you wear it well!

My question is should I shampoo/co-wash my hair before I do a deep treatment.

I currently put Aubrey Organics Honeysuckly Rose Moisturizing Conditioner and Castor Oil on my dry hair, as a deep treament. I either sleep with it on or work out. I leave it on a couple of hours.

I then rinse well, condition wash, detangle with conditioner in sections. I then rinse, put on my leave in conditioner and then twist with my shea butter mix. I do this once a week. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hey...I glad you are able to learn from my post. I really don't think that it's necessary to deep treat on clean hair. I typically deep treat on dry hair, then I wash, condition, and style as normal. Thanks for the reminder...I haven't deep conditioned in awhile Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 9th January 2010, 9:27 pm

Here are some pics from a recent oil rinse that I did. I have also included my shea mix that I am always referring to:

Suave used as a cowash, EVOO, HE as my main conditioner

My dry hair.

My hair with nothing on it

My hair with the Suave condish on it

My hair with the EVOO and HE condish on it

My hair AFTER the cold water rinse...OMG, that was BRUTAL!!!!

Apply some Giovanni Leave-In condish after the cold water rinse

This is my shea butter mix I'm always referring to.

My approx mix is:

3 TBSP Unrefined Shea Butter (softened...NOT melted)
1 TBSP coconut oil. I don't melt, but just scrap and add to butter.
1 TBSP castor oil
1 TBSP EVOO

I used the tip of a pointed comb to whip it together. Store in a container and place in a cool area.

This is about how much I use per chunky twist or t/o hair is doing a wash n go ponytail.

Hair with Giovanni, shea mix, and ECO gel along the edges.

My wet ponytail

Applied a scarf to smooth down edges.

After about 30min, I removed scarf. All done!!!

Overall, I am still not crazy about oil rinses. I obviously didn't remove all of the oil, so oil hair started drying, neck started feeling oily. And today, I didn't notice any extra softness in my strands. So, I am going to can the oil rinses on my hair.

But...my youngest daughter have really thick hair with fine strands that tangles EASILY. I sometimes CRINGE when I have to do her hair. Well, I decided to do the oil rinse on her and OMG, it was like a dream. NO tangles. No crying. Got through all the kinks with ease. So this will be part of her regime.

HTHs someone Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next