CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly Natural...Need a sis

3 posters

Go down

Newly Natural...Need a sis Empty Newly Natural...Need a sis

Post by HairRebel 10th July 2010, 5:28 am

So i've been transitioning with Micro's since last november & all of my perm is O U T & I absolutley don't know what to do with it as far as product's & Protecting it.. I need help...Idea's....something lol....plz Very Happy

HairRebel

Back to top Go down

Newly Natural...Need a sis Empty Re: Newly Natural...Need a sis

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 10th July 2010, 5:08 pm

Hello HairRebel, without an avatar it's hard to tell where you are in your transition journey. Therefore I have some homework questions for you.

1. How much natural growth do you have? It will determine what types of styles you can do, e.g. TWA, Twist-n-Curl, bunning, Bantu, etc.

2. What is your hair texture? Are you familiar with LOIS, or Andre Walker's Numbering system (3a-b, 4a-b, etc)?

3. What is your hairs' POROSITY level? Peform a strand test. Is the strand rough or smooth from tip to scalp? Take a strand from your comb. Does the strand stretch or snap? Is your hair fine or coarse?

Go to Curly Nikki's home page, and click on Tiffany the Curl Whisperer's site. It's under the TOPICS tab on the right of the page. She has a lot of helpful information.

When I first BC'd, I looked for a "HAIR TWIN". Look for your hair twin on Nikki's glam hair idols and transition stories. There are so many interviews - scroll through and look at past posts too. Note that Nikki has the same questions for every Glam Hair Idol and Transitioner. Read their interviews and styling techniques.

My hair is approximately 4 inches long, and I'm a 4b. I BC'd in January 2009, and have cut it due to hair damage from a texturizer. Creamy crack is a helluva drug. Since knowledge is power, I'm going offer what I hope are helpful suggestions. THERE IS NO MAGIC HAIR PRODUCT. It's all about technicque

1. I read Chicoro's "Grow It". It's a helpful book with the proper techniques for washing hair and maintaining growth. It's available on Amazon.com for about $13.00. Chicoro has a great fotki with techniques to try. How you handle your hair when wet will make or break your hair.

2. I read Lorraine Massey's "Curly Girl" - you can borrow it from the public library. It helped me un-learn a lot of MYTHS about 'nappy' hair; how to do the 'curly-girl' co-washing method, and to really love rocking the curls!

3. I learned to avoid SLS shampoos; they dry my hair. I learned the different ways protein conditioners and moisturinzing conditioners affect my hair, and I know WHEN to use each TYPE of conditioner for maximum benefits. THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWING WHAT BRAND TO USE. Learn when your hair needs protein and when it needs moisture.

4. Watch Kimmaytube's channel on YouTube. She has some helpful hair washing tutorials.

5. If you're 3b, 4a or 4b, don't comb your hair when it's dry!! You will damage your growth and cause mid-strand splits and split ends! Terri LaFlesh has a site called "Tightly Curly" in which she demonstrates how to detangle hair using slippery conditioners. That's why so many folks like Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, and Yes to Cucumbers for detangling hair.

6. Protective styles will help keep your hair on your head. Any style you can rock for a several days or a week or more and keep your hands out of your hair is a protective style!

7. Sealing your ends. All styles need a happy ending. The type of sealant depends on your hair texture and porosity. Some ladies can get by with leave in conditioners, and some need oils or butters. Once you determine your texture and porosity, you can find your sealant.

This is a lot, but I hope it helps. You will be blessed with a lot of assistance because so many of us have been where you are now!
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Bree.Bae. 14th July 2010, 8:13 pm

This was alot of help. im soon to do the big chop so i def. need advice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bree.Bae.
Bree.Bae.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 15th July 2010, 7:19 pm

Congratulations on your decision to go natural! Let me tell you, my own journey has not been without setbacks!

Here are my worst natural hair experiences and the lessons I learned.

1. My initial big chop: I was relaxed for so long I didn't understand my natural texture. I transitioned for 12 weeks and was shocked at the amount of shrinkage my 4b hair experienced! My hair is very fine and lightweight, and should it grow three feet long, it may never extend past shoulder length - but if I keep it moisturized, detangle it tenderly, comb it gently and never rush my styling, it will continue to thrive and grow more beautifully each day.

2. Cherry Lola treatment: Not to knock CL's site, but I tried this on my hair and was not happy with the results. The ingredients appeared harmless enough (Bragg liquid aminos, yogurt, baking soda) but when I applied the mixture to my hair, I smelled AMMONIA! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Yikes! If you look at kimmaytube's hair and pH video series and educate yourself about pH of many common shampoos and kitchen products we use on our hair, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3MC4d-HmY&feature=channel you will understand why I will NEVER recommend this recipe to anyone. I was naive enough to believe the hype that I could "naturally" using "natural ingredients" loosen some of the coiliness of my hair and get a little more hang, but this disaster eventually led to another chop. When I want a little more length, I co-wash and air dry my hair in mini hair bands.

3. Texturizer: Frustrated at the progress of my growth, I once went to a well regarded salon for a texturizer. Ended up with a frizzy lifeless mess, and told her to cut it off. I wanted longer hair and ended up with NO hair. Through it all I learned to not compare my hair progress to anyone else's, and to wear my coils with attitude and style.

4. PIXIE KNOTS: Pixie knots, fairy knots, what ever you want to call those little devils - single strand knots are the worst! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Many 4a-b folks are plagued by them. That's why I don't wear wash-n-go's any more and strive to wear my hair in protective styles with Kinky Curly Curling Custard or a sealant like Qhemet AOHC or Butters-n-Bars GMHB. Without product, random individual hair strands will curl back on themselves and knot up in a New York minute - and I have NEVER been able to untangle those knots - had to get the scissors.

Hope this helps!
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down