CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!

+2
swt_sunny
SuperBadd
6 posters

Go down

TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!  Empty TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!

Post by SuperBadd 8th July 2010, 11:57 am

Hi Curlies,

Hopefully you guys can help, I am so lost when it comes to products because i am a new Curly..I've been transitioning for a year now with no BC, so I have been wearing a protective style which is a sew-in for every 6 to 8 weeks - let it breathe and then I'm right back at it.. I think I'm gonna go another 6 months and then i'm FREE!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have fine hair and I believe I may be a 3c/4a (according to my leave out)...Can you suggest products for the following:

1. Smoothes Edges
2. Curl Definition (the hair that I have is curly so I won't have to apply heat)
3. Moisturizer (I am currently using Elasta QP mango butter but I'm not really happy with it - my hair seems dry in a matter of hours when using this)

Thanks in Advance for the suggestions!

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!  Empty Re: TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!

Post by swt_sunny 8th July 2010, 12:42 pm

Wow - a year! Congrats on that! I'm currently transitioning myself (6.5 months post), so I am still in learning mode as well.

Smooth edges - I believe there is an article post somewhere on this site that reccomends smoothing a little shea butter onto your hair and then applying a scarf over it to set it. I usually dampen my hair apply a teeny bit of ecostyler & a teeny bit of the Elasta mango butter (trying to use mine up - it seems to not be working anymore for me either!). I think the key is making sure you lay down your edges w/ the scarf to 'set' it.

Curl definition/moisturizer - My past attempts at twist outs have not worked for me, but I'm sure the other ladies can chime in here. Right now I use Giovanni direct leave in layered w/ a bit of ecostyler helps me fake a curly look, even w/ all the relaxed hair I have left. I just tried the Shea Moisture Milk from Target recently, and it seems to moisturize really well. I know many people like the the Qhemet Biologics line too.

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!  Empty Re: TRANSITIONER WHO IS CLUELESS ABOUT PRODUCTS!

Post by SuperBadd 8th July 2010, 12:55 pm

I put some Elasta QP on my edges and put a scarf on it and sure 'nuff its been smooth! Don't know how it will be for the remainder of the day. Maybe I should purchase Ecostyler - how does that combo work for you? I wanted to try Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade but I guess I will try shea butter next...

As for as twist outs, it hasn't been working for me either...I experimented last night and it wasn't even dry and i slept wit them in overnight..I guess I should try it when its not wet and more on the dry side. I also use Giovanni direct leave in and I really like it...must purchase the Ecostyler to get a little curl. Hey! We might be hair twins, lol!
The Target where I'm located doesn't sell Shea Moisture products...many people cringe when they hear that I am natural and their response is, "I don't see how you do it.."
Thanks for everything! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th July 2010, 1:31 pm

@Superbadd: Weaves were my protective style of choice and like you I only wore each install for 6 weeks and started with a new install.

Now that I am natural my styles are pretty simple. When I wear a WNG or a puff to smooth my edges I either apply my Eco Custard or unrefined shea butter and wrap my silk scarf around my perimeter to lay the hair flat.

I've used a variety of products for moisture and most importantly they were all water-soluble. During my transition I used braid sprays and curl activators sprays. As a newly natural I use my own mix(water, glycerin, condish, oil) or Just for Me detangling spray in between cowashes. For my WNGs I apply a leave-in conditioner and follow that with aloe vera gel and a sealant of choice.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 8th July 2010, 1:58 pm

@ Hamptonsfnst: Thanks so much! You recommended shea butter as well as some other natural ladies I've talked to...so i'm going with it...is your own mix what you use as a moisturizer? I tried to make my own which includes water, vatika oil, leave in conditioner but I'm not sure if its doing the job....

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly126 8th July 2010, 4:42 pm

@SuperBadd
For the twist out you can try them on damp hair or style them in the late afternoon/evening so that they have lots of time to dry before you go to bed. Since I don't use heat to dry my hair I usually do my twist and curl on wet hair after work at around 5/6 pm, they're usually more than half way dry before I go to bed.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 9th July 2010, 5:06 pm

@Butterfly126: Thanks a bunch..I tried it last night and it was dry when I woke up this morning for work....

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by I Luv Grease! 11th July 2010, 11:38 pm

Congrats on making it to a year post. To smooth my edges, I HAVE to use water and gel in the summer. In the colder months, I can get away with using a heavy oil like castor oil or a butter like shea butter mixed with coconut oil, and wear a scarf for 10 minutes and my edges are smooth. I don't use any curl defining products because I simply do braidouts after applying leave ins so I obtain curls that way. To moisturize my hair, I use diluted Vo5 and my shea butter mix of shea butter, coconut oil, and evoo.

I hope you find the right products and styles!
I Luv Grease!
I Luv Grease!

https://www.youtube.com/daniellef89

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 12th July 2010, 11:09 am

Thanks so much...i plan on buying shea butter since that is the most consistent product people have recommended. I also wanted to try Ecostyler gel just to see...

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 12th July 2010, 11:35 am

Hi Superbadd,

I'm 14 months post relaxer. Congrats to you.

I have lots of 3c in the top and back and 4a on the sides near my ears. I use ecosyler evoo gel to slick it back or shea butter mixed with some oils (coconut, castor, evoo and jojooba) also works. I use the shea mixure mostly for sealing. But either one works perfectly fine once I tie it down with a scarf for about 30 minutes.

Ecosytler gel curls my hair right up. Especially the 3c. I actually think I'll have to work on stretching my curls when I'm natural, because curls I have, but there just too tight for my taste.

Ecostyler gel and shea butter also hold my ends for a twist out. But I'm using ORS lock and twist because it's just easier to use one product.

FYI - I'm using the Ecostyler EVOO. It has a hold of 10. I'm sure I could use one of the ones with less hold, but it's what I have so I'll try another when I'm out.

As far as moisture - I'm using two things. Talijah Waajid's Protective Bodifier Mist or Mist Bodifier (one of those). This stuff is amazing. I use it as a leave-in sometimes, detangler, spritz for twist outs. It's just awesome. I also have Africa's Best Organics Shea Butter Plus. This is good stuff too. No mineral oil, no petro and it's very creamy. I like creamy stuff. My 4a hair seems to like the heavier stuff. I'm working on moisture for the 4A hair. It dries out faster.

Do you have a good leave-in? Giovanni Direct is all that people rave about. I love it.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 12th July 2010, 11:36 am

I also recommend extra virgin coconut oil. It's light enough for that 3c hair. I love it.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 12th July 2010, 12:45 pm

@ Renny. I actually use Giovanni's Tea Tree Shampoo and Con along with the direct leave in as well. I like this stuff. I haven't classified my hair yet bc I am currently wearing a sew in with leave out in the front...since my hair is curly, I use the products on my real hair for blending.

I've also been using Vatika Oil and just discovered that you are supposed to leave it in overnight then wash out...I thought this was coconut oil but obviously there is a difference...u guys hit it right on the nose that this is a long journey, lol

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 12th July 2010, 12:46 pm

I actually saw the Waajid products in the BSS store over the weekend and wondered about it bc I haven't heard much....

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 12th July 2010, 1:05 pm

That TW bodifier mist is awesome. I don't know about the rest of the products. I have read some positive reviews here and some of the Youtubers love it.

I took the Giovanni tea tree shampoo back last week. Stripped my hair something horrible. I liked the smell and the tingle but yikes I was like what happened to my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo. Haven't tried it yet. I'm on the hunt for a good shampoo or at least I was. I used my Pantene's Relaxed and Natural yesterday. I was happy with it, so maybe I'll just use it instead of shopping around.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 12th July 2010, 2:07 pm

I don't use the Giovanni Tea Tree often...I only use it about once a month to clarify my hair. Other than that, I have been using Tresemme Naturals shampoo when I do poo..I've been doing alot of co-washes lately.

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 12th July 2010, 2:22 pm

I have to try Tresemme Naturals. I here good things.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down