CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, am new to co-wash...

+3
Enchantment
sweetdrk1
dajewel
7 posters

Go down

So, am new to co-wash... Empty So, am new to co-wash...

Post by dajewel 25th October 2009, 11:26 am

So, I finally tried co-washing last week, and I have to say that I like the results! I co-washed with Giovanni 50:50 conditioner and styled in usual two-strand twists with aloe vera gel straight from the leaf and 100% unrefined shea butter. I then sealed the ends with EVCO. I loved how hydrated and moisturized my hair felt and looked. I had severe HIH disease those days!! My roots were even glistening!! This lasted a couple of days. Throughout the week I re-twisted with aloe vera gel and shea butter. I co-washed again yesterday with the same conditioner, but this time leaving in more of the conditioner to see if I can have the hydration and moisture stay longer than two days. My hair felt and looked good, but not as vibrant as when I did the first co-wash. Do you think maybe the repeated use of the shea butter may have a dulling effect on the hair(even though I can tell its moisturizing my hair), and thus its time to wash with a clarifying shampoo?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

So, am new to co-wash... Empty Re: So, am new to co-wash...

Post by sweetdrk1 25th October 2009, 2:11 pm

LOL@ HIH I have no where near your amount of hair and I can' t keep my hands out either.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th October 2009, 2:39 pm

LOL!!!! i love how our hair comes in so many different textures and patterns!! i think once your hair responds well to not being fried in the creamy crack and TLC then we just can't help but check the fruits of our labor!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 27th October 2009, 4:13 pm

does anyone every co-wash once every two weeks?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 27th October 2009, 5:13 pm

I try to co-wash once a week and I use shampoo once a month, unless I have serious build up.
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 27th October 2009, 5:51 pm

ok. well, i did my second co-wash with Giovanni 50:50 conditioner this week, and my hair is still moisturized!! Yay!!! I haven't had to moisturize/seal since Sunday. So, i guess I am going to see how long i can go until my next moisturize/seal/ co-wash.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnubian13 31st October 2009, 2:29 pm

I co wash once a week (twice if im having a really bad hair week). Ive tried going longer, but I realized that my scalp gets really dirty. I see that some people say they only use shampoo once a month. Am i doing something wrong? Is it possible that the conditioner is making my scalp more dirty. I use Garnier Sleek and Shine, then use Cantu Shea butter as a leave in.???
naturalnubian13
naturalnubian13

Back to top Go down

Post by ohnatural 31st October 2009, 4:02 pm

I did BC in July of this year. Since then I have been co-washing almost everyday. That worked out well in the summer time because I could go out and dry with the warm weather. Now that its getting cold here in NYC can't do that anymore, but I can't get my hair to behave unless I wash out the product and start over. The longest I have gone is 2 days. On the otherhand my hair feels a little dry and hard. I moisturize with Shea and EVCO almost everyday after I wash. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Still trying to find out what works for my hair. Any suggestions. Oh, I also had a silkener put in by Ms. Jessies when I first cut. I don't plan on doing again and I thought it would have grown out by now. My hair is growing, but I don't like the texture. I also seem to be having a lot of shedding.

ohnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 31st October 2009, 4:14 pm

naturalnubian, i am also noticing that my scalp gets dirtier quicker,too. so far, i have used Giovanni 50:50 and Aubrey Honeysuckle(will post a review about the last one after i use it a second time). i was able to wash 1x/wk with Giovanni 50:50. i noticed my scalp was getting dirty around day 6. so, i don't know...
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 31st October 2009, 11:07 pm

I cowash about 3 times a week - never less than 2x.
I can't do the 2 strand twists- a lonnnnnng story.
but I do use Aussie Moist Moisture and 3min miracle (once a week) and Suave Naturals Coconut and rock my curly afro
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist 2nd November 2009, 2:25 pm

@dajewel: Have you read Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl book?? She has some great recipes in there and really drives home the no washing thing. So does Amel Larrieux and we know how great her hair looks!! You really should wash as little as possible. I go strictly by what my hair needs at the time instead of a schedule. Sometimes I cowash daily; other times it's every few days. When I do poo it's with a shampoo with no SLS or other ingredients I can't read. My faves are KBB, Anita Grant's shampoo bars, and Chagrin Valley's shampoo bars (came highly recommended from Empress Ri). I use different Aubrey's conditioners to co-wash. Some are heavy for my hair, but if I'm bunning it's ok. If my hair is going to be out I don't use a conditioner for dry hair -- that helps keep it light. I also like KBB conditioner to co-wash with. I need to try Elucence MBC. That seems real popular over at Fotki and my BF swears by it. She says it's nice, light, and natural. sunny
CurlySpeechTherapist
CurlySpeechTherapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 3rd November 2009, 12:38 pm

thanks for the advice, curlyspeechtherapist! i really need to just chill and just listen to my hair.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down