CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lesson2Essence: Naturals Chat

+8
jlowman1
Karyn
swoodward
Muz
Alana
DvaAuNaturel
dajewel
AshElleAye
12 posters

Go down

Lesson2Essence: Naturals Chat Empty Lesson2Essence: Naturals Chat

Post by AshElleAye 25th June 2010, 7:09 pm

As I mentioned in my Curl Street Journal, I was considering putting together a natural hair chat b/c of the experience I had with Essence Mag's chat. Well, I did it! The chat will take place on Monday at 7pm! Anyone is welcome so please, spread the word! woot!

Here's the URL!
http://www.savorchat.com/chat/lesson2essence-naturals-chat
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down

Lesson2Essence: Naturals Chat Empty Re: Lesson2Essence: Naturals Chat

Post by dajewel 25th June 2010, 7:40 pm

yeah, that was just complete nonsense in that chat! it was like the moderators were pushing certain brands and talking amongst theirselves. and, for the most part, the moderators gave horrendous advice! i noticed chrisette michelle gave better advice than they did. also, did u see the questionairre essence posted today?? wretchedness!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by AshElleAye 25th June 2010, 8:10 pm

Girl I didn't even bother to look at it. lol.

I'mma check it out right now. They mean well, I think, but they're going about it the WRONG way.
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 25th June 2010, 8:30 pm

I'm so glad you all mentioned this. I joined the chat as well. For some reason my questions didn't post so I just read along. The "experts" were not giving out really any advice. But people also need to stop asking about products and focus more on their hair, what it needs, and how to nurture it. The experts were recommending some questionable products but what irked me to no end was the fact that they were really talking amongst themselves about 1) things other than hair and 2) like they really were interested in truly interacting with the participants.

Chrisette Michelle was really great though and I noticed she did try to engage the participants.

It was horrible. Something told me not to expect too much.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Alana 25th June 2010, 8:42 pm

it was sad that a lot of transitioners asked for help and really did not get good advice

OH, and I think the chat idea is good! I just hope that I remember to log in!
Alana
Alana

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 25th June 2010, 9:11 pm

I was in and out of that chat within 3 minutes, they weren't saying anything I didn't know from reading hair blogs/boards, and the fact that it really wasn't all that interactive made it uninteresting to me.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AshElleAye 25th June 2010, 10:33 pm

@Alana I was thinking about doing email reminders just in case. If you're interested please message me. Everyone else can as well.

@Dva: It just seems like they were putting on a front with the exception of Chrisette. They seemed like they just wanted a bandwagon to hop on.
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 27th June 2010, 9:39 pm

GARBAGE SURVEY! Looking forward to your chat~
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 27th June 2010, 9:52 pm

have fun in that chat, i guess. cause i don't have a fb nor a twitter lol
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 28th June 2010, 12:38 pm

That survey was the WORST thing I have ever seen in my life. How are you going to ask me if I am natural and then ask me further down how often do I perm my hair? WTF?

DEFINITE FAIL on Essence's part!!!!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th June 2010, 3:57 pm

I heard and read many times that the Essence chat was terrible. Prior to the chat I was already becoming disappointed with the magazine and already decided that I will not be renewing my subscription.
I will attempt to tune in to tonights chat. I hope it is a success.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th June 2010, 3:58 pm

7pm est?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by AshElleAye 28th June 2010, 4:06 pm

tiashauntee wrote:7pm est?

Yep Very Happy
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 28th June 2010, 9:31 pm

Sorry I missed out. I don't use Facebook or Twitter so I couldn't log in. Hope it went well.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 9:38 pm

tiashauntee wrote:I heard and read many times that the Essence chat was terrible. Prior to the chat I was already becoming disappointed with the magazine and already decided that I will not be renewing my subscription.

I have been feeling the opposite. I like that they have been trying at least. A few years ago it was Weave Nation magazine. They've gotten a lot better...
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th June 2010, 10:00 pm

I'm just reading this so sorry but I missed the chat... I don't mean to be messy or nosy but would anyone care to share what exactly happened in the Essence chat. I didn't hear about it....

Another option for a natural hair chat is tinychat. Anyone or anyone you want (there are privacy settings) can log on and it's actually a video chat room. That might be a great way to not only discuss but you'd get to see the hair of the people you're talking to.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 28th June 2010, 10:52 pm

Oh I hate I missed this. Maybe this is something that can be done on a regular basis? I didn't even hear about the Essence chat but judging from your reviews maybe that isn't such a bad thing.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th June 2010, 11:00 pm

swoodward wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:I heard and read many times that the Essence chat was terrible. Prior to the chat I was already becoming disappointed with the magazine and already decided that I will not be renewing my subscription.

I have been feeling the opposite. I like that they have been trying at least. A few years ago it was Weave Nation magazine. They've gotten a lot better...

Sorry I should have been clearer. I was referring to the overall content within the magazine. At one time I started to think that maybe the mag was meant for a different class of people when I noticed the style section always has clothing pieces for $150+, personally that is out of my range. Then there are numerous articles that hover around "getting a man" and I feel that can lead to making some women feel less empowered. It's okay to be single it does not mean anything is wrong with you. I do appreciate the black history facts crossword and the motivational piece by TD Jakes each month - but why are those positive pieces in the back of the magazine. Usually I find myself flipping past more and more ads each month looking for the articles to read. I haven't even read the last three issues I received, I turn straight to the back to the recipes, crosswords, and TD Jakes piece. I am not saying that every single issue has been terrible but I have just not been impressed enough to feel that the subscription is worth my money. That's just my personal opinion.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 28th June 2010, 11:43 pm

Ah,

I have been reading Essence off and on for about 25 years (or something like that! Yikes!) The fashion editorials are vastly improved since the mag started. I always wanted them to show stylish clothes that could be seen on any runway. I used to get majorly pissed off that they dedicated so little space to clothes and makeup, as though black women weren't as stylish or fashionably as other women.

Then in the last 10 years it's been weave, weaves, and more weaves - with hair care snippets posing as real hair care! A recent as a year ago a huge majority of the ads were for relaxers and weaves. Now they are adding ads for hair care products. Not what I am looking for but progress indeed.

The style and body sections are improved, and the hair section is crawling along. Since most popular fashion trends trickle down from haute couture and RTW from the big boys and girls anyway I consider it a sign of prestige that they can snag samples from big designers. I look at the more expensive items for inspiration (and daydreaming).

Now as much as I love Steve Harvey he can take some of that advice and, well, I'll be nice. It's extra funny when positioned against the better sex deluge from mags like Glamour and Cosmo - neither of which I can tolerate.

I was very disappointed with the survey but very surprised it was even there. I have been tempted to give up many many times but I keep thinking that I need to support the print industry in general and this magazine in particular. Hopefully, we'll get more choices soon. My hairdresser always said you gotta start somewhere.

Just my 50 cents!!!
geek

Last edited by swoodward on 28th June 2010, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 29th June 2010, 1:47 pm

I think the magazine changed tremendously when it changed ownership and was picked up by Time Inc. More ads, and not necessarily people of color, and same ole, same ole about getting a man, keeping a man, etc. Less substance IMO.

I do think however they occasionally focus on issues relevant to our community that wouldn't otherwise get coverage with an appropriate perspective (Chicago Teen Shootings, Sean Bell, HIV/AIDS in the Black Community, and things going on in African countries).

But that chat and survey get a thumbs down.

@ JnB the chat didn't focus on the "experts" giving any real advice about transitioning or how to care for natural hair i.e. it's needs, style options, do's/don'ts, etc. The "experts" were having a lot of sidebar conversations among themselves and not on hair and recommending products but not explaining why that product was beneficial. They just didn't go into depth with anything IMO.

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 5th July 2010, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th June 2010, 2:30 pm

i didnt tune in for the essence chat because i found the day after it started, but i went to essence and was able to read the chat transcript. i agree with what was said about it not being informational. there were lots of sidebar convos and the experts didnt really "help". they suggested some products here and there but for the most part it seemed as if only questions that could be answered with a product recommendation were answered. there were many people that asked about transitioning tips that went ignored

IMO, i think that next time essence should make the chat more like a panel discussion, where there could be certain topics outlined and ppl could type in the questions they have abt that topic-just so its more organized and less redundant also less overwhelming

if i were the experts i wouldnt know which question to answer first because there are so many ppl aking questions at the same time, that by the time you finish answering one there are 20 more waiting..

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by AshElleAye 5th July 2010, 6:14 pm

Hi!

I'm hosting another natural hair chat today at 7pm EST. Very Happy

http://savorchat.com/r/3ru

Hope to see y'all there!
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down