CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me!

3 posters

Go down

I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me! Empty I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me!

Post by niknak82 17th June 2010, 6:32 pm

I feel defeated, and I truly think I look like a grease-ball. The day of being totally natural seems soooo far away and so impossible. I thought I could handle the maintenance, but this is proving to be very time consuming. I work full-time, go to school full-time and I'm planning a wedding--full-time. I want to make time to do my hair but I only truly have time to wash and condition and let it air-dry. I truly look like a hot mess or the scarecrow from the Whiz. I need some help. I think I'm using the wrong things for my hair (Organix Mint Tea Tree Shampoo, Hello Hydration Conditioner, Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir and Long-term Relationship Leave-in.) They seem to work, but I'm not sure. I've done a couple flexi-rods and 1 bantu-knot and I think it looked okay but that was after 1 month of transitioning.

At the end of the day I just want healthy, shiney hair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
niknak82
niknak82

Back to top Go down

I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me! Empty Re: I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me!

Post by HappyCurly 18th June 2010, 10:30 am

Have you tried doing buns? they are my quick fix. you can make it! it's a lot on your plate now but keep remembering that you have good reasons for all this time thinking about your hair.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me! Empty Re: I need a big sister! My hair is depressing me!

Post by Naturally Esq 20th June 2010, 1:51 pm

What type of hair do you have? Thick, thin, 3 or 4?

How long have you been transitioning? How much natural hair v. relaxed hair?

Are you sealing in the mositure with shea butter or EVCO?

What is your routine? How often do you shampoo, condition, deep condition?

I have been transitioning since 9/09. I style with either braiding my hair in sections and rolling the relaxed ends on straws or I use Curlformers.

Don't give up. Transitioning is a journey during which you learn about your hair. Keep your eyes on the prize: all natural hair.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by niknak82 20th June 2010, 2:25 pm

I wouldn't classify my hair as thick or thin, but I think its about 3b in texture. I have shoulder length hair, with about an 1-1.5 inches of new growth. I've been transitioning for almost 3 months.

I don't have a routine. I wash my hair once a week or every other week with Organix Mint Tea Tree Shampoo. I condition with Hello Hydration.

I moisturize my new growth with Shea Moisture reconstructive elixir (it has shea butter, sea kelp and argan oil). I use long-term relationship leave in conditioner, esp for my ends. I feel like the leave-in just sits on my hair. I want something that soaks in but isn't too heavy.

I think I will try a braid out, but my ends are so straight. My hair is still too straight for twists.

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you ladies.
niknak82
niknak82

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 20th June 2010, 3:06 pm

I have 4a/b hair, so I am not sure if my advice will work for you, but here goes:

1. You should get a routine so that your hair can rely on getting moisture and/or protein on a regular basis. I use only Giovanni products, shea butter and EVCO. Once a week, I shampoo, deep condition etc. During the week I refresh with leave in conditioner, shea butter and EVCO.

2. Have you tried Giovanni Direct Leave In? It is light and easily absorbed. You can find it at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart etc.

3. I completely understand about the straight ends. When you try the braid out, braid all the way to the end and then roll the end on a drinking straw that you have precut. Secure with a bobby pin. The small diameter of the drinking straw will curl the straight ends. If you want more hold, you can add aloe vera gel or eco custard before you braid.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by niknak82 20th June 2010, 3:19 pm

Thank you for the recommendations. I will definitely try the draws and a better leave-in like Giovanni.
niknak82
niknak82

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 29th June 2010, 4:03 pm

how is it going? you can also roll the end of your braid or twist on a hair roller so it doesn't stick out so much.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by niknak82 29th June 2010, 5:25 pm

I've actually been wearing my hair flat-ironed. Its just been easiest with my busy schedule. I do plan to use the flexi rods tonight. Thanks for checking on me. I'm learning that all natural products arent necessarily for relaxed hair. The oils weight my hair down and leaving it looking "special" lol.
niknak82
niknak82

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 29th June 2010, 9:34 pm

lol it is hard to figure what products are best! i remember my natural hair soaking up stuff that just sat on top of the relaxed part.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd July 2010, 9:34 pm

HappyCurly wrote:lol it is hard to figure what products are best! i remember my natural hair soaking up stuff that just sat on top of the relaxed part.

This is the link to a great article on protein v. moisture products:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by niknak82 3rd July 2010, 3:44 pm

Thank you Naturally Esq. The article was very informative. I am getting a better idea of how to care for my hair.

Thank you
niknak82
niknak82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down