CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad build up, any suggestions???

3 posters

Go down

Bad build up, any suggestions??? Empty Bad build up, any suggestions???

Post by curlista 12th June 2010, 4:53 pm

If I use regular shampoo my hair still feels dirty and oily afterward, but if I use "stronger" sulfate shampoo it cleans my hair really well (almost too well) and I end up really itchy. So any solutions?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Bad build up, any suggestions??? Empty Re: Bad build up, any suggestions???

Post by ... 12th June 2010, 7:18 pm

You could try diluting your (sulfate) shampoo before you apply it to your scalp.

You could also try diluted baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) followed by diluted apple cider vinegar (ACV), but in my experience, because baking soda is insoluble in water, it's too abrasive to use to cleanse the hair and can be more drying in the long-run that sulfate shampoos, no matter how much water you add to it.

Another thing you could try is using diluted castile soap. I suggest the Dr. Bronner's brand (unscented/Baby Mild), since that one doesn't usually leave the weird film on my hair that's common with castile soap. If you do choose to use castile, make sure you finish with an ACV rinse, because castile soap is very alkaline and can leave you with wide-open cuticles and, therefore, dry hair if you don't. Plus, ACV rinses really smooth the cuticle, make the hair feel really soft, and helps remove any product residue you may have gained from that wash (not previous washes). But remember, since ACV is acidic, it's a "conditioner" (if you will) and won't really cleanse well on it's own. HTH.

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 12th June 2010, 7:30 pm

You can try ACV, as mentioned by Summer Ruby before you shampoo and rinse it out. Some opt to use it as final rinse. Using it before I shampoo works for me.

Or what I find helpful for my buildup is the buffering technique inspired by Kimmaytube on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FQ79FD2VY

You apply the shampoo to your scalp and then immediately followup with your conditioner without rinsing out the shampoo. Detangle the hair with your fingers or wide tooth comb, slide your hands down the roots to tips to get the shed hairs, and then twist the hair, and baggy until you're ready to rinse it out. This technique has done wonders for my buildup and my scalp feels extra clean. Not to mention, incredibly soft hair! HTH!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 12th June 2010, 8:44 pm

@SummerRuby: Thanks for your suggestions. So if I do the castile soap I can follow with the ACV rinse? And afterward would I just follow with my regular regimen?

@CurlsGalore: Hmm, that "buffer" technique sounds interesting. So you basically leave on the shampoo and mix with the conditioner, detangle, then rinse?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 12th June 2010, 8:49 pm

curlista wrote:@SummerRuby: Thanks for your suggestions. So if I do the castile soap I can follow with the ACV rinse? And afterward would I just follow with my regular regimen?

Yup, once you're done washing, you can apply your leave-in and seal or whatever you want. Also, if you want to use your regular conditioner, you can apply that after you rinse out the castile soap and before you apply the ACV rinse, so that the ACV will lock in the moisture you get from the conditioner.

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 12th June 2010, 8:51 pm

Also do you guys have any suggestions for good shampoos? Right now I'm using an old Suave and Garnier, the Suave doesn't clean well and the Garnier STRIPS my hair.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 12th June 2010, 8:54 pm

curlista wrote:Also do you guys have any suggestions for good shampoos? Right now I'm using an old Suave and Garnier, the Suave doesn't clean well and the Garnier STRIPS my hair.

I don't usually use commercial shampoos, but I've heard good things about the Yes to Carrots, Yes to Cucumbers, and Yes to Tomatoes shampoos. Also, Giovanni shampoos are quite popular. I have no personal experiences to give you, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 12th June 2010, 8:58 pm

This may sound dumb but just to make sure I do RINSE the ACV, it doesn't stay in my hair right?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 12th June 2010, 10:58 pm

curlista wrote:This may sound dumb but just to make sure I do RINSE the ACV, it doesn't stay in my hair right?

I've heard of people rinsing it out and leaving it in, but usually those who leave it in have naturally straight(er) hair and I just don't think it's a good idea to leave it in, so I suggest rinsing it out, yup.

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 12th June 2010, 11:37 pm

Ok, thank you so much for all the info!
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 13th June 2010, 1:43 am

curlista wrote:@SummerRuby: Thanks for your suggestions. So if I do the castile soap I can follow with the ACV rinse? And afterward would I just follow with my regular regimen?

@CurlsGalore: Hmm, that "buffer" technique sounds interesting. So you basically leave on the shampoo and mix with the conditioner, detangle, then rinse?

Exactly. It's like killing two birds with on stone. Check out the vid and give it a try. As for ACV, I do mine every 2-3 washes and I do it before shampooing. I massage my scalp for about 2 min and then rinse. I follow up with my shampoo/condish and go from there. My hair feels great.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th June 2010, 3:10 pm

Thank you so much CurlsGalore! I tried the buffer technique last night and my hair doesn't feel stripped and it's still moisturized, I love it Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down