CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes

+7
patmichele
ChrsLvsBks
carfi366
Free2Be
JossBella
Lynnieluve
adamseve
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes Empty How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes

Post by adamseve 6th June 2010, 8:16 pm

OK ladies, I'm in the phase of trying to figure out what my hair likes & doesn't like. How will you know?

For example, yesterday I tried Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner & I loved how my hair melted as soon as I applied it. My hair was sooo soft and I loved how my curls looked afterwards. However, as soon as I put my shea butter concoction on my hair my hair started to look dull and the curls changed somewhat. It didn't get hard or crunchy, just dull with no shine. Is that an example of my hair not liking the shea butter concoction?

Here's what's in the shea butter: olive oil, jojoba oil, aloe vera gel, coconut oil, & EOs.

Please keep in mind that this isn't just about your hair not liking shea butter...I'd like to know what to look for when my / your hair doesn't like something, anything. Your tips can help us newbies figure out a few things about how certain products have reacted on others so that we can determine things with our own hair. I know everyone's hair is different so the information shared is just for information sake.

Thanks in advance for sharing how you know what your hair likes & dislikes Smile
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes Empty Re: How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes

Post by Lynnieluve 6th June 2010, 9:10 pm

Based on your description, you hair loves HE TT. Now for the shea butter, was it applied to wet or dry hair? Keep in mind too that natural hair does not shine like relaxed hair, but it will have a sheen to it.

Other than you hair looking "dull" how did you hair feel after you applied the shea butter?

If a product doesnt not moisturize you hair, makes it feel hard, brittle, dry, does not provide slip, then it is best not to use it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes Empty Re: How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes

Post by JossBella 6th June 2010, 10:03 pm

Bump! I wanna know the answer!
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 6th June 2010, 10:32 pm

That's what my hair does with shea butter when I apply it to wet hair. On dry hair it does shine. Maybe the wet head is the culprit.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 7th June 2010, 12:19 am

I'm watching this thread, because I am trying to figure out the same thing. Does my hair like proteins or not? How do I know the difference?
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 7th June 2010, 1:24 am

I think we just hit on something...I'm applying my oils when my hair is damp. My hair is still soft, but lifeless looking. I know that hair is dead and that natural hair has sheen not shine, but I've never seen it look this way even in its relaxed state.

So, here's my next question: how do I apply a sealant without my hair looking dull or changing the look of my curls?

Thanks everyone Smile. I was getting worried that I was going to have to throw everything out but the kitchen sink [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 7th June 2010, 2:24 am

After applying oils or butters, I usually apply Eco Styler Gel or Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and the shine returns. Additionally, my hair doesn't dry crunchy if I apply the shea butter and/or oil first.

I've only twisted my hair a few times, but the best results were twisting immediately after washing and applying a leave-in conditioner and letting it air dry. Then once dry I retwist with the shea butter and Eco Styler or Miss Jessie's. HTH
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th June 2010, 11:29 am

In order to know what your hair does not like, you may want to know what it does like. The key is to know how your hair typically feels when it feels soft, moisturized and has elasticity. Knowing this will help you know when you have used a product that does not work well with your hair. I definitely know when a product has not worked or when I need protein and/or moisture. It takes time so please be patient.

If a product does not work well when it used to think about the following.

When was the last time I DC'd, clarified, cleansed, etc.?

If you hair typically shines/has sheen, did the product cause a change?

If your hair hard, you may have a sensitivity to protein. Try moisturizing treatments with heat or overnight.

Is your hair mushy and lacks a curl where there was once a curl, your hair may be overmoisturized. Try adding protein treatments to strengthen hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

How do You Know What Your Hair Likes & Dislikes Empty Hummmmm...good question

Post by patmichele 8th June 2010, 2:26 am

Just reading some of the responses has me wondering....does my hair like butter (i don't think so). I have used healthy hair butter by CD and my hair gets kind of hard/ stiff feeling. lso when i use sheamoisture deep treatment masque as a leave in conditioner, my hair get kinda hard and stiff as well. When I use the honey mimosa from CD, my hair is soft and shiny....I'm starting to think my hair likes oils instead of butters....could my hair be more protein sensitive?
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 8th June 2010, 3:39 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:In order to know what your hair does not like, you may want to know what it does like. The key is to know how your hair typically feels when it feels soft, moisturized and has elasticity. Knowing this will help you know when you have used a product that does not work well with your hair. I definitely know when a product has not worked or when I need protein and/or moisture. It takes time so please be patient.

If a product does not work well when it used to think about the following.

When was the last time I DC'd, clarified, cleansed, etc.?

If you hair typically shines/has sheen, did the product cause a change?

If your hair hard, you may have a sensitivity to protein. Try moisturizing treatments with heat or overnight.

Is your hair mushy and lacks a curl where there was once a curl, your hair may be overmoisturized. Try adding protein treatments to strengthen hair.

This is great information and wonderful tips! Thanks so much for sharing.

So far my hair likes everything Smile The only thing I haven't tried is glycerin, but that'll change as soon as I receive my Zipporah Beauty order.

Nothing seems to make it hard, but I do notice that different conditioners do different things to my curls. I also noticed that the ACV rinse seemed to make my hair feel like straw, but I think it might have been not enough water in my ratio. I'll try it again and see what happens.

Thanks again for sharing!

T
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 8th June 2010, 3:44 am

Free2Be wrote:After applying oils or butters, I usually apply Eco Styler Gel or Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and the shine returns. Additionally, my hair doesn't dry crunchy if I apply the shea butter and/or oil first.

I've only twisted my hair a few times, but the best results were twisting immediately after washing and applying a leave-in conditioner and letting it air dry. Then once dry I retwist with the shea butter and Eco Styler or Miss Jessie's. HTH

Thanks so much for this tip. I normally put my leave-in on my hair first, then the gel, and then the oils / butters. I'm going to try it your way once I take my twists out and see what happens.

I know my hair likes my shea butter concoction because I used it today for my ends on my twists. They shiny, soft, & bouncy. My husband loved them and that's saying a lot because he's still getting used to the short hair. He loved my long hair, but he's supportive anyway and just wants me to be happy. However, he can't wait for it to grow [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]!

Thanks again...This really helped!
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by JossBella 8th June 2010, 10:36 pm

Um I def know after today that my transitioning hair does NOT like Giovanni Tea Tree!
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 9th June 2010, 3:22 pm

PatMichel,

My hair is the same way. Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter does nothing for my hair. Sheamoisture masque had no slip and left my hair hard. I am not sure if my hair likes butters either. Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner leaves my hair feeling soft. This is my question to everyone. What do you use if your hair does not like butters? To be honest I am not sure if my hair likes oil either. What do I do? Sad
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 9th June 2010, 3:52 pm

Delta87 wrote:PatMichel,

My hair is the same way. Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter does nothing for my hair. Sheamoisture masque had no slip and left my hair hard. I am not sure if my hair likes butters either. Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner leaves my hair feeling soft. This is my question to everyone. What do you use if your hair does not like butters? To be honest I am not sure if my hair likes oil either. What do I do? Sad

I've noticed that hair is peculiar. It may not like shea butter in large quantities, but if the shea butter is way down on the list it may like the product. You may find that your hair likes mango or avocado butter, etc. Or, you might find that your hair likes jojoba oil but not coconut oil. Try the items separately to figure it out is what I've found to work best for me.

The biggest thing for me is trying different things and writing the results on my hair calendar so that I know what I used, when, & how my hair reacted. Have you started a hair journal or calendar? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love the length my hair is after the BC because there's not a lot of work involved if my hair doesn't like something and I have to start over.

Good luck to you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th June 2010, 3:53 pm

Delta87 wrote:PatMichel,

Look at the ingredients in Oyin's HH condish particularly the first five. These are the ingredients that likely make your hair soft. If there are other products that leave your hair moisturized, do the same thing, record the first five ingredients. Doing this with as many products as possible will lead you to know what works for your hair.

My hair can deal with butters. I use them to seal in moisture.

Another good moisturizer is aloe vera and coconut fatty acids (cety alcohol, I think). You can look for products with those ingredients. HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 9th June 2010, 4:04 pm

Adamseve-you are so right, natural hair is very peculiar I just BC'd a few weeks ago and my hair looks different every day depending on what products I use or even what order. I definitely need to start a hair journal. One day I like my hair and the next day I try to get the same look and if I leave out a step it looks different. Thanks

Chrslvsbks-Thanks for the advice. So far Oyin HH is the only thing my hair responds to. I also used Aloe Vera Gel and my hair was happy:) I just looked at Oyin HH incredients and the first five are
water, organic aloe vera gel, behentremonium methosulfate (emulsifier derived from colza oil) honey, coconut oil. That makes alot of sense. I have not tried coconut oil yet. Thank you so much!!
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th June 2010, 4:21 pm

Delta87, you are so very welcome. Dajewel, CN's resident chemist, suggested this. Ever since I have used it, Grace (my hair's name) has been happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 9th June 2010, 6:46 pm

Thank you all for the responses...this really helps a lot. I think my hair is protein sensitive and loves oils much more than butters. Just bought Aloe Vera gel (haven't tried it yet). We'll see if it likes that.
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 9th June 2010, 11:34 pm

ChrsLvsBks - Thanks for the informatoin about looking at the first five ingredients. That was very helpful!
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 10th June 2010, 1:09 am

It is official ladies....my hair is protein sensitive! tonight i did a DC using avocado, mayo, EVCC, and EVOO. I left it on for a few hours before washing it out. My hair was not soft and my curls were not poppin' like some of the reviews that i read. My hair was hard and stiff and felt suuuuuuper dry. It was not good! I have never felt my hair like that before. Any advice on DC for people whose hair does not like proteins. Also doesn't the hair need a balance of protein and moisture for optimal heath???? If so.....????? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 11th June 2010, 2:38 am

Maybe your hair is fine like curlynikki's. She said her fine her doesn't do well with proteins, even in small quantities. Leaves her hair feeling dry. Everyone's hair is so different, so you may not need as much protein as much as the next person. Maybe use henna to strengthen your hair.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 11th June 2010, 11:02 pm

I learned that alot of things I thought my hair didn't like was really how I was applying them, like butter I thought my hair couldn't tolerate butters but If I only put a littlebit it works wonders so it's really trial and error you learn as you go
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 13th June 2010, 7:25 pm

What is EVCC?
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 13th June 2010, 7:51 pm

Extra virgin coconut oil
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th June 2010, 12:47 pm

patmichele wrote:It is official ladies....my hair is protein sensitive! tonight i did a DC using avocado, mayo, EVCC, and EVOO. I left it on for a few hours before washing it out. My hair was not soft and my curls were not poppin' like some of the reviews that i read. My hair was hard and stiff and felt suuuuuuper dry. It was not good! I have never felt my hair like that before. Any advice on DC for people whose hair does not like proteins. Also doesn't the hair need a balance of protein and moisture for optimal heath???? If so.....????? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Try the treatment without the mayo and EVCO. Yes, hair needs a balance of protein and moisture. Your diet may provide you with enough proteins or lighter proteins derived from plants may be best. You could also try DC with protein for shorter periods followed by a moisturizing DC. HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next