CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is/ was your major in college??

+40
jellybeanOH
palomastewart
curlista
cocoablaque
TexasNat43
Shrinkage
fanmnatirel
gigihaitiancurly
JossBella
skittledittle07
serenesky04
justicenga
Notthecoolmom
LuvMeLuvMyFro
KnottyKinkyMommy
preciouslady
predestined010
Syrah
curlyfro22
hayylee
SoFlyy
nikismiles
natural83
mverde3
DvaAuNaturel
Peachtree
Sebastain13
LadyMika
Karyn
DreamMerchant
krazy coils
Napp_Napp_Cat
Music8192
CrissyQ
goombagirl
luvinlife225
Ebbz
Curly_Aquarius
44 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What is/ was your major in college?? Empty What is/ was your major in college??

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 1:07 pm

I was responding to a curlies thread and was explaining to her about how I am confused about what I want my Master's major to be. Right now I am getting (almost finished) with my B.A. in Child and Family Studies. I know I want to work with sand teach special needs children and eventually become a BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) But I want my Master's to tie into the teach and behavior aspect of my goals.

So my questions are:

What is/was your major?

What do you plan to do with your degree? (if already have a degree what do you do for a living?)

What are your future goals career wise and educational wise?
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

What is/ was your major in college?? Empty Re: What is/ was your major in college??

Post by Ebbz 3rd June 2010, 2:28 pm

I just started my sophmore year in college and I'm a Social Work major. In my senior year I might get a certification in Gerontology (not sure yet). I plan to go to grad school and get my M.S.W focusing on Mental Health and Health Care and become a licensed medical social worker in a hospital or mental health facility.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

What is/ was your major in college?? Empty Re: What is/ was your major in college??

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 2:47 pm

Ebbz wrote:I just started my sophmore year in college and I'm a Social Work major. In my senior year I might get a certification in Gerontology (not sure yet). I plan to go to grad school and get my M.S.W focusing on Mental Health and Health Care and become a licensed medical social worker in a hospital or mental health facility.
Hey Ebbz!**waving** Smile I started off wanting to be a Social Work major but also wanted to teach as well. The Geriatric community needs more people like you just like the Special Needs need people like me. I wish you much success Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 3rd June 2010, 3:37 pm

I didn't finish college but the plan is to go to nursing school in 2 yrs.
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 3:40 pm

luvinlife225 wrote:I didn't finish college but the plan is to go to nursing school in 2 yrs.
That's great! It has taken me 14 years to finish my degree and I still ain't finished (almost there tho') so life throws you curves ride those waves and see what happens Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 3rd June 2010, 3:44 pm

Dang Curly you and I seem to have a lot in common. I've been working on my undergrad since my baby was 8 mos. (he's now 13) and still no degree. But I'm working on it. Oh, I'm a business major.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 3:49 pm

goombagirl wrote:Dang Curly you and I seem to have a lot in common. I've been working on my undergrad since my baby was 8 mos. (he's now 13) and still no degree. But I'm working on it. Oh, I'm a business major.
Really? Very Happy Great minds ya know.......My daughter is 14 going on 15 so, I am real out there but it is better late than never right? Business major eh? What are you plans start you own or management?
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 3rd June 2010, 5:01 pm

I have a BA is psychology. I am doing nothing with it, I have been in baking for 10 years. I want to go back for computers, just have to find the time.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 5:23 pm

CrissyQ wrote:I have a BA is psychology. I am doing nothing with it, I have been in baking for 10 years. I want to go back for computers, just have to find the time.
Girl I wish I was in your shoes, Do you enjoy baking? Also if you took a certificate program for computers with your degree I bet it would be similar as if you majored in Computers??
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 3rd June 2010, 6:58 pm

I am majoring in education and I hope to teach after I get my B.A. In the career of teaching.. If i want to stick to it I would have to get an M.A but im really into music so idk where life will take me. I also want to get certified to work with children with special needs. But in the back of my mind i've always wanted to be a nurse. Or maybe get my masters in speech pathology.. and so i am rambling... What your majoring sounds really cool Smile
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd June 2010, 10:47 pm

Music8192 wrote:I am majoring in education and I hope to teach after I get my B.A. In the career of teaching.. If i want to stick to it I would have to get an M.A but im really into music so idk where life will take me. I also want to get certified to work with children with special needs. But in the back of my mind i've always wanted to be a nurse. Or maybe get my masters in speech pathology.. and so i am rambling... What your majoring sounds really cool Smile
Hi, I was rambling about what I wanted to do for years, I guess it take time for people like us. I really am amazed at myself for deciding what I wanted to do so early in life.
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 4th June 2010, 9:30 am

I have to say you all are some smart and determined sistas!!! I love it. I'm currently in college right now in my junior year majoring in mass communications. After I get my Bachelors, I want to eventually go to grad school at get my masters in either Journalism or Media/Film Studies. I want to have a career as a writer and editor for a magazine or maybe move into the film industry. Who knows?!! Tons of opprotunity and I'm open to all of it.

Good luck to everyone!!!
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 4th June 2010, 10:08 am

Curly_Aquarius wrote:
goombagirl wrote:Dang Curly you and I seem to have a lot in common. I've been working on my undergrad since my baby was 8 mos. (he's now 13) and still no degree. But I'm working on it. Oh, I'm a business major.
Really? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Great minds ya know.......My daughter is 14 going on 15 so, I am real out there but it is better late than never right? Business major eh? What are you plans start you own or management?

I'm actually in the process of starting my own. I'm tired of the grind and lack of personal satisfaction.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 4th June 2010, 12:28 pm

CrissyQ wrote:I have a BA is psychology. I am doing nothing with it, I have been in baking for 10 years. I want to go back for computers, just have to find the time.

Hey Crissy I have a B.A. in psychology also but I love to bake. I would actually love to go to culinary school.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 4th June 2010, 7:26 pm

Napp_Cat wrote:I have to say you all are some smart and determined sistas!!! I love it. I'm currently in college right now in my junior year majoring in mass communications. After I get my Bachelors, I want to eventually go to grad school at get my masters in either Journalism or Media/Film Studies. I want to have a career as a writer and editor for a magazine or maybe move into the film industry. Who knows?!! Tons of opprotunity and I'm open to all of it.

Good luck to everyone!!!
Good luck to you as well! Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 4th June 2010, 7:28 pm

goombagirl wrote:
Curly_Aquarius wrote:
Really? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Great minds ya know.......My daughter is 14 going on 15 so, I am real out there but it is better late than never right? Business major eh? What are you plans start you own or management?

I'm actually in the process of starting my own. I'm tired of the grind and lack of personal satisfaction.
My hubby says the same thing, his father owed his own business, and he feels he should do the same, he told me once "I make my company alot of money, I can do the same for my own business."
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 5th June 2010, 1:06 am

I have a B.S in math and science. I decided to turn that into teaching. So I have a job lined up to teach eigth grade math in August. After 5 years of teaching, I will try to get into the Pharmacy program to be a pharmacist.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 5th June 2010, 2:09 am

DreamMerchant wrote:I have a B.S in math and science. I decided to turn that into teaching. So I have a job lined up to teach eigth grade math in August. After 5 years of teaching, I will try to get into the Pharmacy program to be a pharmacist.
Wow, DreamMerchant, I don't think I could do the intermediate teaching I have little patience with kids in that age group but then again when I sub intermediate the kids say I'm so "cool"
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 5th June 2010, 2:38 am

I'm only a junior in high school (soon to be senior, yikes), but I'm only considering two careers right now: a teacher for deaf (or hearing impaired if that was not pc enough [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) children, preferably little kids cause I don't need the sass lol or a (elementary or even middle) school psychologist. No idea what major though. I only have recently seriously considered the teaching thing, so I have to look into salaries and junk. But yeah. Never in my life would I have believed that I'd consider ANY career in a school LOL. I hate school and have never, ever liked it.

I really want and hope my mom pursues a degree in higher education. I kinda effed her over by being born whilst she was only a freshman, so she never got a chance to really go back to school. Now that I'm about as old as King Tut though, I hope she really considers it.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 5th June 2010, 10:12 am

I didn't finish college, but I'll go back next year. My first major was Journalism, but since that was my stupid miserable cousin's idea. I'm going to major in art and pick up graphics and illustration.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 5th June 2010, 3:42 pm

I jus graduated from college May 2010 with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies w/concentration in psychology

Will b returing in fall to get another undergraduate degree in Gernotology Grades were not where I wanted them 2 b 2 go 2 grad school so I decided 2 go back 2 get another undergrad degree Hope Im making right decision

Certified Nursing Assistant by trade so I would like to have a job doing something with the elderly

Wish me luck ladies [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 5th June 2010, 4:08 pm

BA, Social Work
MBA, Human Resources
J.D., working on it!
Business Owner, ultimate career goal!

Used to work as a Licensed Social Worker for a hospital and mental health agency.
Currently work as a HR rep for a large company.
Once I get this darn law degree I'm planning to stay w/my current company, just transfer to the law dept. Smile
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 5th June 2010, 4:36 pm

Curly_Aquarius wrote:
DreamMerchant wrote:I have a B.S in math and science. I decided to turn that into teaching. So I have a job lined up to teach eigth grade math in August. After 5 years of teaching, I will try to get into the Pharmacy program to be a pharmacist.
Wow, DreamMerchant, I don't think I could do the intermediate teaching I have little patience with kids in that age group but then again when I sub intermediate the kids say I'm so "cool"

It is not that bad if you scare them on the first week of school. If you come out hard then you will have no problems! I took over in the middles of the school year for a 9th grade math class and those kids were jerks. That tacher let them do anything (that is why he was fired in the middle of the year). I was called "nappy headed *&&^*#" and Medusa and all that stuff. By May, those kids were alot more respectful. I had to make alot of calls to so peoples parents. I even had some parents sit in class with their child. Now that was funny!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 6th June 2010, 12:04 am

I earned my B.A. in Communications (print journalism concentration). I work for a telecommunications company. I'll be finished with my MBA in December.

But what I really want to do is go to law school. I've wanted to do that since 1998. That damn LSAT is no joke! But that's okay because I'm also starting my prep course end of this summer and plan to take the test in Oct. and again in Feb (if needed).

Hope to start school Fall 2011.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 6th June 2010, 12:18 am

I'm currently majoring in Biology and minoring in psychology and chemistry. I think I might also get a certificate in African and African Diaspora studies. I guess I really love learning lol Smile I plan on going to medical school in the future to be a pediatrician. I also want to open up clinics in underprivileged societies (with help from all areas of study: social work, nursing, international relations, everything) to give health care to those who really have problems getting it. If I don't get into med school, I'm still going to work in health care in the community
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next