CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does moisture come from?

+5
HappyCurly
LaToya28
SisterBoyd
ktoliver5303
bholmes87
9 posters

Go down

Where does moisture come from? Empty Where does moisture come from?

Post by bholmes87 16th May 2010, 12:15 am

So my friend is getting kinky twists in her hair after having a weave in it. We went to the beauty supply store to buy the hair and, of course, began talking about products. The girl that would be twisting her hair wanted some kind of gel/cream to put on her fingers while twisting so that her fingers wouldn't get callused. She suggested Pink Lotion (I suggested that she NOT use that because of the mineral oil. lol)

I told her that if she wanted something moisturizing, she needed something that had water in it. She responded by saying: "Water dries out your hair."

Shocked scratch Rolling Eyes <== this is me

So of course I go into this huge spiel about how water IS the moisture that our hair needs! Any product that claims to be moisturizing has water as the first ingredient. Period. Water is an excellent product for hair in general. It may be the enemy of straightened hair because it un-does all the work you did to get it straight. But as far as mositure goes, it is wonderful!!!

So my friend that is doing the twisting then said: "Well water is good for moisture, but what about after the water is gone? Something else has to keep the moisture in. If you only put water in your hair and nothing else, your hair would be dry. So water can't be that moisturizing because you need other things to keep your hair from being dry." (keep in mind that she JUST finished growing out a perm over the summer of 2009 and then got a relaxer for the sole purpose of getting a weave. The weave she got cost her $250 to put in, and that's not including the 8 ounces of Indian hair that she bought before paying her stylist!! SMH... Now she is transitioning again. The hardest part of being natural for her is staying natural. In her opinion straight hair is not only more appropriate but more versatile. What?! But that's another story)

So then I reply by telling her about sealants such as shea butter and oil. It's true that only putting water on your hair and nothing else will cause your hair to be dry. That's because water evaporates so you need something else to keep the moisture in your hair. I probably said some other things that I don't remember as well. LOL

But I just thought that I would share this with you in hopes of getting some more information about water as a moisturizing. What would you have responded by saying? What can you tell me about moisturizers that I can share with both of my friends?

Please share your comments and wisdom and experiences too Very Happy
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Where does moisture come from? Empty Re: Where does moisture come from?

Post by ktoliver5303 16th May 2010, 4:50 pm

Water is what hydrates all. You are correct by saying water is moisture, but it is not just using product with water but it is also drinking plenty of water as well. Of course with water is just the base but natural oils and sealants help as well. I think you did a good job and pink oil moisturizer is HORRIBLE!! My stylist put a Shea butter mix in with my twist. I think you answered well.

You are right though it is hard to go natural... LMAO hence my BC!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 16th May 2010, 7:34 pm

That's just funny to me! I had a friend, who I told how to transition from heat damage like me, tell me she had a similar conversation with a licensed cosmotologist. The ignorance in the black haircare community is amazing.

I think you did a wonderful job of educating the two. I'll be honest - I would look at your weaving friend like she's stupid and left her there once she decided to weave and perm her hair. Waste of breath especially when she said permed hair is more versatile. You're good!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 16th May 2010, 7:40 pm

I agree that a water-based moisturizer would be better than the Pink lotion. I don't know what's in it, but that stuff always seemed to dry the hair out even more. I know that people always say that water is the ultimate moisturizer, but IMO that's not entirely true. Water alone will not moisturize your hair even if you seal it with oils and butters. Oil and water do not mix therefore you need some type of emulsifier to help bind them to the hair and to help retain the moisture. Humectants are also very important for moisture. I think that water-based creamy moisturizers are the best.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 16th May 2010, 8:11 pm

I shake the water and oil together in a bottle; that doesn't mix them enough?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 17th May 2010, 9:36 am

lmao @ "straight is more appropriate"!!! really??
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 17th May 2010, 9:43 am

I think you did a good job trying your best to educate both friends but your friend spent way too much on that touchup and I already know Indian is more expensive because of the quality. What I can't understand is why she would relax when it's going to braided up underneath the weave? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Does that make any sense unless she was just adding length to hair with a few tracks. Anywho, you did great with your explanation.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 17th May 2010, 2:06 pm

What I can't understand is why she would relax when it's going to braided up underneath the weave?

I don't get it either [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

You educated your friends pretty well. If they decide to let the information go in one ear and out the other, that's on them.

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 17th May 2010, 5:34 pm

Thank you guys for your responses!

@LaToya: I completely agree! Water is not the ultimate moisturizer!! I must be used in conjunction with something else. I just wanted my friend to know that water isn't bad for your hair. It's just bad for the life of a perm/press n curl ... LOL I wanna learn more about humectants as well because moisturizing hair is something that too many black people don't know about
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 17th May 2010, 8:15 pm

Why do women weaken their hair with relaxers and then add the weight of a weave? I just don't get it.

I think you did a great job with your friend too.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down