CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twist-out on a TWA

5 posters

Go down

Twist-out on a TWA Empty Twist-out on a TWA

Post by Offandrunning 11th May 2010, 12:21 pm

Hi

I just bc a couple of months agao so i still have a twa...maybe 3/4 inches long...Im still battling moisture issues but find that my hair feels softer and moisuturize when i twist it vs having it open. My question is has anyone with a TWA achieve a great twist out...parts of mine come out fuzzy and others have pretty spiral curls, and then still i have like waves in other parts....im trying to get some uniformity or is that just not going to happen....I usually start fresh twist on wet/damp hair then just continue to twist it at night until my next wash. I like the look for the most part i just hate the fuzzy non define looking areas. I will twist with cd hair butter, or the shea mixture i got from Ooop. Think maybe its my technique or is this just what is going to be and i just gotta roll with it? Its my sides and front that have the most freeziness.....

Thanks

Offandrunning

http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Back to top Go down

Twist-out on a TWA Empty Re: Twist-out on a TWA

Post by priceless 11th May 2010, 1:25 pm

I jus attemted my 1st twist out yesterday and it did not come out the way i wanted either. so I am curious if i am doing it wrong also. I rolled mine at the ends maybe i try it with out the rollers.
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th May 2010, 3:08 pm

The key to a great twist on a TWA is...the right product, small two strand twist and gentleness when untwisting the twist.

You can check out my fotki (in my signature) to see pics of my twist.

First I have a few questions for you, Are you deep conditioning every week? If not, try doing that to help with your dryness issues. Also co-washing was a lifesaver for me after I BC. Also, oil rinses helped after I BC'd to help with dryness. After I shampooed my hair, I would apply about 3 or 4 hand fulls of EVOO to my hair before I applied my conditioner. If I was co washing, I would wet my hair, apply the oil then my conditioner, then proceed as I normally would.

Ok, back to the twist...It seems like you have the right products (I love Oooop2 shea butter mix, BTW). What size are you doing your twist? They need to be small. Also when you take your twist a part, be very gentle. I untwist the twist in the opposite direction, it will make a opening near the roots, I place my finger there and slide it down to the tip of the twist. (I hope that makes sense). Now you have two sections of hair, then I would separate those two sections and make four. I wouldnt separate more than that because you will cause frizz.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 11th May 2010, 3:37 pm

Hi O&R!

I totally agree with Lynnie about the right product. I twisted my hair on about .5" of hair and used a gel. I got great hold, but I didn't like the buildup I got from it. These are finger coils. I'm thinking since you're working with 3/4" of hair, this style may work well for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I believe I did this style on dry hair. I used Giovanni Leave In condish all over and spritz my hair with my moisture mixture, and I applied Fantasia IC gel to part I worked with. I no longer use gels, but I do like Aloe Vera gel or Eco Styler clear gel. Simply wrap your forefinger around the hair to create a coil downward. You may use a comb or finger. These are the results shown above.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Offandrunning 11th May 2010, 4:21 pm

Thanks Lynn
Great tips, i am co washing maybe once a week and deep conditioning then, i think i may need to go was at least twice a week....i am also going to try the oil rinses to see it that helps...

i think after reading what you had to say that i am doing my twist too big. to be honest there is not rhyme or reason how i do them...i dont part cause i always wear them out and i dont want to fight with covering up parts i just grab hair and go...so as i think about it that probably accounts for them all looking differently.....i try to be careful when opeining, but i maybe no enough, which could account for the fuzzy areas

Also, should i be retwisting at night....that usually what i do on dry hair until next wash day ...most days i leave them in for a couple days cause i work from home so even though they look crazy, im in the house so no biggey.

BTW....ur twist are beautiful, cant wait till my hair gets that long to do stuff like that

Curls
I am not well coordinated and cant get the hang of doing coils, but urs looks really cute so I am going to it again...

Offandrunning

http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 11th May 2010, 6:54 pm

Lynn: that twist updo is gorgeous!!!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th May 2010, 7:04 pm

Offandrunning - I'm glad I could help. Here's a pic of my twist a few months after I BC....just to give you and idea of how small I do them. To cover the parts, I use my afro pick and lift the roots lightly...dont pull the pick all the way through because you will disturb the definition.

HappyCurly - Thanks!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down