CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Straighten or Not to Straighten?

+12
HappyCurly
Ekaette
QuietButterfly
Ms.Fenty
chscott_77
Juices-n-Berries
dajewel
Hollis
swoodward
Erica5417
bholmes87
asanterochelle
16 posters

Go down

To Straighten or Not to Straighten? Empty To Straighten or Not to Straighten?

Post by asanterochelle 7th May 2010, 4:41 pm

Hey Ladies Smile

So I've just passed my 6 month mark [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and so far my hair is doing AWESOME! In the meantime, however, I am working on my applications for graduate school (I'm seeking a doctorate in neuroscience.) While talking over the whole application/interview process over with my mother, she casually threw in "I can't wait to see your hair straightened for interview season."

Cue my "Whaaaa?..." face.

I hadn't really thought about my hair as far as interviews were concerned, and now I'm nervous. I've got 4z kinky hair, and it defies gravity lol. Now, interviews are a year off for me, but my hair doesn't grow supremely fast, so by then I'll probably still be rocking an afro as opposed to a bun. I'm really against putting heat on my natural hair, because I've had a lot of heat damage in the past. On the other hand, entering an academic field where I'm in the VAST minority (I'm talking like I would be the ONLY black person in my department wherever I go lol) I don't want my hair to work against me as far as admissions are concerned.

Those of you possessing or working towards MD, JD, Ph.D, MS, etc. who have short(er) kinky hair, have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!!

--asanterochelle
asanterochelle
asanterochelle

http://www.ark87@blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

To Straighten or Not to Straighten? Empty Re: To Straighten or Not to Straighten?

Post by bholmes87 7th May 2010, 6:49 pm

Well first of all, CONGRATS on doing big things!!! Furthering your education is awesome Very Happy

As far as hair goes, I would say don't straighten! Especially if you won't be wearing your hair straight after you get the job. Natural hair is most definitely professional so your texture should not stop you from getting a job. Your skills and talents and intelligence will show on paper, your personality will show in person, and you'll be unstoppable!!!!! I think some good styles for interviews are:

- buns (if you are able by that time)
- twisted up-dos
- braidout up-dos
- twistout up-dos
- bantu knot outs
- roller set/rod set (without heat)
- twist outs

I think you should rock the curls that you've fallen in love with, don't straighten just because! Show them you, completely afro
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

To Straighten or Not to Straighten? Empty Re: To Straighten or Not to Straighten?

Post by Erica5417 8th May 2010, 4:11 pm

I just completed my MS and I'm applying for jobs. I was straight while in law school and I'm about to straighten for interviews. As much as I love my natural hair, I need a job and I know how the world works. My hair isn't long enough to bun or I would probably do that since I used to love buns. I got babies to feed so now is not the time for me to take a stance on my hair.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 8th May 2010, 4:59 pm

Whaaaaa is right!!! Thanks a lot, Mom!

I think a hair band with a shaped afro puff is very professional, elegant and simple on short hair.

I agree with Bholmes87, don't do it just because of pressure, especially if you plan on wearing your hair natural. Now if you feel like wearing your hair straight then do so by all means, but that is not the same as wearing it straight for someone you don't even know because you are unsure of how they will take it.

Natural hair is more and more common and you may be pleasantly surprised at the reaction you receive from others. A number of ladies here have noticed and commented that ads on tv and mags feature more and more black women with natural hair. The word is out now.

As a lovely natural at my job said - "Let them get used to it. They'll never know otherwise."

Last edited by swoodward on 8th May 2010, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 8th May 2010, 6:57 pm

I agree that you should be fine with your hair natural but I also get what Erica is saying. If you do decide to wear it straight I would recommend watching Mahoganycurls video on how she straightens it without heat. She said she only does this twice a year though I think so she doesn't mess up her curl pattern. I think your hair looks great in your avatar though! Smile

Last edited by Hollis on 8th May 2010, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 8th May 2010, 8:23 pm

i agree with bholmes, swoodward n hollis.

coming from an academic and professional scientific environment (am currently working on my MS in Biotechnology/Bioscience Regulatory Affairs n work in a lab), i can say that u should wear your hair natural in the interview. it is not about how you look, but what can you do at the bench and how you will contribute to the program. with such an amazing mix of cultures in the scientific realm, you will lend yourself well to the diversity even more by wearing your hair in its natural state. remember that diversity is celebrated in the scientific realm, and i promise you all the cultures will love to see your hair in all its glory.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 9th May 2010, 9:05 pm

I agree with DaJewel. Have you seen Albert Einstein's hair??? LOL. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm currently in pharmacy school. I haven't run into any issues with my hair and professionalism. Also, IntelligentBeauty is a pharmacist and she's natural. Perhaps there are some fields where it may not be appropriate. But I think you can definitely be a mad curly scientist!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by chscott_77 9th May 2010, 9:37 pm

I totally agree with all the other women who said that you should wear your hair in its natural state. You are at your six month mark and interviews will start up in a year so I think that your hair will have more length. With the added lenght you will be able to apply different styles such as a twist out or bun. I am almost 2 months post BC and will be interviewing for a teaching position, I will wear my small afro puff with a head band. My 13 year old daughter told me that I look very professional since I cut my hair. I work in the research field and laboratory setting and must say that I am getting more compliments on my natural hair from co-works who are of a different race. Good luck to you and Congrats on continuing your education.
chscott_77
chscott_77

http://chscott77.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 9th May 2010, 10:44 pm

I've considered this in the past as well and I allowed it to hold me back from going natural but now that I see all of these styling options and my eyes have been opened. I think any type of style with pulled back hair looks professional. And I think bholmes is on the money with the twisted/braided updos, etc.....
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 10th May 2010, 12:22 pm

I agree with all the other ladies, you should definitely wear your hair natural for your interviews. I can speak from watching my best friend, she was just hired for a new job a few weeks ago (she's an attorney) and when she was interviewing for the job she did her hair in a pinned back chunky twist-out. She's also gone on other interviews with her hair in twists or an afro puff, she always makes it look professional, but she rocks her natural hair. She said she might as well go in there and let them see what they're getting lol.....I agree.

Rock that natural hair girl!
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by asanterochelle 11th May 2010, 8:36 am

Thanks so much for all the input ladies!

It helped a lot, and as much as I love my Mommy, I think I'm going to stick to my guns Smile I've worked too hard to hide my naps for a weekend of interviews! And thanks for the support too, I know it's far off but I'll definitely keep y'all posted on how interviews go. The applications alone are kicking my butt right now [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I guess I asked for it though, right? lol.

--asanterochelle

Thanks again ladies!
asanterochelle
asanterochelle

http://www.ark87@blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 11th May 2010, 9:54 am

I was still transitioning when I had my residency interviews so I had braids in. However I'm all natural now and my mom is really against me going to graduation and starting residency natural. I'm trying to work up the nerves for this fight lol. I almost want to throw in braids but I can't stay braided up for the next 3 years just to please my mom.
I just wanted to add my mom kept mentioning that she doesn't know anybody with their hair "like that" and hasn't seen any natural doctors. Let me tell you I've seen natural students, residents, and attendings. I'm not sure how it is in academia but I'm would think there would actually be more naturals in academia than in the general population
Good luck whatever your decision is.

ETA I did my big chop in my 4th year. I never had any negative reaction either from students or residents or attendings and my hair is 4b very very tightly coiled
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th May 2010, 4:26 pm

Check out this YouTuber. I recently found her channel and I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/user/LaBellaNatural

I think she's either graduating from med school or about to take her boards. And she has gorgeous natural hair. I mean like full fro awesomeness.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 11th May 2010, 7:01 pm

If I ever saw a natural doctor, I would respect her more. She would know enough about health to know that it doesn't include harsh, unnecessary chemicals. She would be smart enough to know that there isn't anything wrong with her curly hair.

She would know the first doctor rule: Do no harm! If a doctor can't follow that rule in regards to her own hair, why should I listen to her?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by whimsy 11th May 2010, 7:28 pm

I'd suggest you rock a nicely groomed wash n go or a neat twistout or even neat twists to your interviews.

Don't straighten under pressure. You can find neat and professional styles to wear and look/feel your natural best.
whimsy
whimsy

http://www.longnaturalhair.info

Back to top Go down

Post by cutie_curli 11th May 2010, 10:12 pm

The sciences are definitely more liberal as far as what you look like. I am come from a science background and I have seen ppl in various programs (neuroscience, genetics, pharmacology) with tattoos, tongues/nose rings, crazy hair (purple/blue colored, spiked..you name it). They are concerned about your intelligence and not necessarily the outside. However, for an interview put you best foot forward and once you get accepted, rock your hair however you like! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Post by sweettemptation 14th May 2010, 1:23 am

I just finished interviews for med school a few months ago, so I understand your concern. I am in the process of transitioning so I chose to get braids and kinky twists when I had interviews. I also had a Dominican blowout once but I wouldn't do it again (I'm scared of heat damage). Btw, I saw people with braids, natural hair, and straight hair while I was interviewing, so I don't think it matters that much as long as you look professional. But I do think protective styles like braids and weaves are good alternatives so you don't have to risk heat damage again. I will be starting med school this fall with fully natural hair so I'll be in the same boat in a few years when I decide to apply for residency programs. Good luck with the interview process!

sweettemptation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylkifine 16th May 2010, 12:29 am

Well let me add to this interesting topic....lol

It is so hard to go in between being natural and loving it, to being straight just for interview/professional purposes.

I am currently in law school now, and have various projects/assignments/presentations/interviews to endure,and I have to toy with this "problem" semester after semester.

It was not until this semester that I decided to drop everything and be myself. By doing this, I have been able to come up with a lot of styles that can be transitioned into day/afternoon/night looks, however one may want to rock it.

I have not straightened my hair since December, and thats because it takes tooooo long for me to do it right, though when I do, its SIMPLY GEORGEOUS!! But, I feel its easier to twist/cornroll it and be done with it for the next couple of days. Then I would accessorize it to the fullest.

I live in the DEEP SOUTH, and my look is DIFFERENT to them for they are used to long permed tresses. But, let me tell u this, I have all the women out here gawking and staring at my hair, wishing they could do the natural thing.....and I HAVE 4ZZZZZZZ HAIR TYPE....lol

So in ending....its totally up to you. But, you have to remember to be who you are. You don't want folks hiring you for the "wrong reasons", and once you start you show them a different side to you. You can achieve both, professionalism and classi with being natural....trust me!

Sylkifine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down