CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends??

+7
curlyamazon
svrbrownsuga
staishique
TerraD
Jonezy
tiashaunteé
Curly Beauty
11 posters

Go down

Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends?? Empty Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends??

Post by Curly Beauty 2nd December 2009, 8:52 pm

So split ends...we all know and hate them! I decided to do some research on the cause of them... As we all know direct HEAT is one of the main causes! With that said, I have seen loads of beautiful curlies straighten their hair in order to trim the damaged or split ends off. Hmmm... am I the only one that sees this as defeating the purpose? I see this as a cycle that people often over look. Or at least I over looked it for a while. I was surprised that I found this so common until I thought about it this way 1. most people find it difficult to cut curly hair 2. People often uses this session as a length check (and the natural hair community are suckers for length check photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Now this is coming from someone that is opposed of using heat at all!! You might not want to use heat either after this graphic article check it out!! Really informative [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79
Curly Beauty
Curly Beauty

Back to top Go down

Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends?? Empty Re: Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends??

Post by tiashaunteé 2nd December 2009, 8:55 pm

I have always thought the same way. I would take the time to trim my ends while curly, it takes forever but I did not want to use heat. I recently learned how to roller set and I am going to do that now when I need to trim my ends. I can see what I am missing and hopefully will help control all my uneven-ness that is going on.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends?? Empty Re: Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends??

Post by Jonezy 2nd December 2009, 10:12 pm

There are ways to straighten your hair with out using heat as Tia says she does.

I am one that straightens to cut because I can see the splits easier, and cut evenly, with out having to pull on my hair.

Also in my opinion most peoples hair looks great curly, but when it's straight you can see what it truly looks like.

I know some one that uses all natural products and have had natural hair all of their life--people drool over their fro--but their straight hair is thin, un-healthy looking, uneven, & dry....but as soon as it's back curly again it has the appearance of doing just fine. As many naturals do.

So for me seeing my straight hairs appearance every once in a while is imporant b/c it's telling for me--My hair should lookgreat both ways. Most of the time I roller set and wrap or hit the roots quickly with a flat iron (kept on a low setting of 7-10, though it goes up to 30) after using heat protectants of course. Every one has to do what works best for them though!

Funny enough, I did not have problems with split ends when my hair was relaxed w/ frequent heat use...but my natural hair with rarely any heat is split city.

Last edited by Jonezy on 3rd December 2009, 3:54 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : typos!)
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Beauty 2nd December 2009, 10:38 pm

Jonezy, thanks for the response! You have cool and insightful points! Please tell me what you do to minimize your split ends!! I am so curious [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tiashauntee, I think that roller setting would be a great alternative for someone that wants to make sure that they are getting the best out of there trims!! Im going to try that and see where it lands me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Curly Beauty
Curly Beauty

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 3rd December 2009, 3:44 am

Jonezy: I agree! My hair has tons of split ends now, but never when I flat ironed religiously. I think it's a moisture thing, curly hair soaks up moisture faster, drying out faster. My hair is chin length curly, but between collarbone and APL straight, so I can get to hairs easier straight. And the raggedy ends stand out LOL
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 3rd December 2009, 4:04 am

Curly Beauty wrote: Jonezy, thanks for the response! You have cool and insightful points! Please tell me what you do to minimize your split ends!! I am so curious [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lol i'm sill trying to figure this split end thing myself--b/c I do want to straighten less or not at all if I don't need too.

Right now I do Curly Nikki's method of adding rollers to the ends of wet braids and twists to keep them strecthed/straight so they retain more mositure and don't curl up on themselves. Also this month I'm trying all new products that all say moisturizing or hydrating lol.

Also I'm bunning over night 3-5 nights a week after moisturizing and sealing and covering only the buns with plastic baggies to retain moisture. (this worked amazingly in the past and I had no splits, then I became a slacker...)

I'll have to get back to you on my progess! Smile

TerraD wrote: I think it's a moisture thing, curly hair soaks up moisture faster, drying out faster.

Exactly, that's what the problem is for me too.
Jonezy
Jonezy

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 3rd December 2009, 4:58 am

That's what baggying is! LOL, I'm so slow. I always wondered what baggying was!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Beauty 3rd December 2009, 10:17 am

Jonezy, [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thanks lady!!
Curly Beauty
Curly Beauty

Back to top Go down

Post by staishique 4th December 2009, 11:41 am

Instantly my mind goes to my annual salon visit for a trim in September. I went to my stylist who did my permed hair back in the day-day. I was prepared to lose an inch, at most, because I dust pretty regularly and S&D all wild crazy. Ladies, she straight disrespected my hair with her mishandling and excessive use of heat.

I knooooow she made my splits worse from extreme heat use with no heat protectant, no product, no NOTHING. My hair reverts quickly, so she went to town with the blow dryer, flat iron, and curling iron. She did two hard blow drys-one before and the other after her two wack hard flat iron jobs, and curled my hair with a flat iron. And I'm sure the heat was on it's highest setting.

When it was time to trim, she hacked off 2-3 inches of hard earned growth because she: #1 (I think) she assumed my untrained hair was damaged hair and #2 she tormented my ends. My hair looked the same before and after the trim.

It irks me to think about it. Now I'm petrified and avoid direct heat at all costs.
staishique
staishique

Back to top Go down

Post by svrbrownsuga 5th December 2009, 5:47 pm

Hey Ladies! I guess my reason for straightening for a trim is because I normally straighten my hair every 3 months or so and by that time I need a trim. However at times I do twist my hair and if I feel the ends a little whisby I do snip snip...how do you ladies trim?
svrbrownsuga
svrbrownsuga

http://www.fotki.com/svrbrownsuga

Back to top Go down

Why straighten your hair before cutting split ends?? Empty @ Jonezy

Post by curlyamazon 12th December 2009, 12:43 pm

I totally feel you on the plit ends problem. I think I got a bit over confident in my natural hair's resilience to heat and frequent styling and fussing. Natural requires a lot of attention, especially in the beginning..for people who have not dealt with their natural hair. I thought that I could touch and fuss and flat iron my natural hair and it would split or anything beause there was no relaxer on it. WRONG!! Curly hair is fragile, though it doesn't loo like it to most people, because of all the stress points that the bends in curls create. THe less you fuss with (style) and the better you moisturize the less splits you will see.

I also have switched to seamless, handmade combs. I am trying to get in shape and have to do lots of working out. I have to co-wash and rinse my hari very frequetly and the seamless combs help prevent the cuticle shearing that mainstream combs can cause. Google seamless, hanmde combs and the "banded" method for trimming. It's helping me get my hair back in order.
curlyamazon
curlyamazon

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 12th December 2009, 4:58 pm

I think your really on to something. I think most people don't notice it but cosmetology is built around straight hair. So everyone has been brainwashed to think that "my hair has to be straightened when I go get my trim" but if you have a very good hair dresser this isn't a requirement. But I will also say that getting ones hair flat ironed every once in a while to get a trim isn't that bad as long as it's not for frequent trims and you use mild heat. Most people don't, they use something with no heat control or they crank the heat up to 380+ degrees of frying power.

Personally I'm back and forth between the straight trim and the curly seek and destroy trims. I just don't do the straight unless I'm looking for a change in looks, I get tired of looking like I'm still in middle school lol!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumination 13th December 2009, 10:05 am

I dont straighten my hair. I just nip the ends every 3 months after a neat two strand twist.

Illumination

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 13th December 2009, 9:47 pm

curlyamazon wrote:

I also have switched to seamless, handmade combs. I am trying to get in shape and have to do lots of working out. I have to co-wash and rinse my hari very frequetly and the seamless combs help prevent the cuticle shearing that mainstream combs can cause. Google seamless, hanmde combs and the "banded" method for trimming. It's helping me get my hair back in order.

I will check that out. Your hair is gorgeous Smile
Jonezy
Jonezy

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 14th December 2009, 3:30 am

I've never straightened my hair and I don't plan to. Although some people do just fine with heat, I've seen too many horror stories of permanent damage from just one application. With my luck, I'll be one of those people, undoing all my hair work! Instead, I just do regular search and destroys while styling my hair and occasionally trim it in twists. I don't care if my hair is uneven when straight, since I never wear it straight anyway.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 9th January 2010, 8:02 pm

Moni, I'm with you! I transitioned from heat damage so I'm petrified of heat and those horror stories scare the heck out of me!

The only heat my hair has seen was the handheld blow dryer when I did an aphrogree treatment a few months ago. And I was scared to pull the dryer out then.

I'm going to start doing a methodical search and destroy on a regular basis. Now I dust my ends when I feel like I need a trim; the last one was about 2 months ago. If I come across a knot then I'll cut it out.

I went to cosmetology school about 20 years ago and yes the focus is on straight hair. Our hair is a second thought. However, when you are taught about our hair we are taught that heat isn't our friend. Its us who incorporate heat as a necessary. It is taught that we shouldn't use direct heat on our hair to straighten it because it is so fragile, but we feel it has to be bone straight. I've been guilty of this myself. So its isn't all the mainstreams fault that we are uneducated about our own hair.

IMHO our problem stems more from not having stylists who are well versed with natural hair and working with it in its natural state when cutting it. I've had the worst time trying to find someone to cut my hair so I've just resorted to dustings. However, I need to be shaped up. Shaped up now, not when I decided to wear it straight because only the Lord knows if I'll ever get the courage to put some heat on my hair. Wink
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down