CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron?

+7
suqiit
jenerett
dajewel
BajanPrincess82
CurlyNMixed
fanmnatirel
QuirkyCurly
11 posters

Go down

How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron? Empty How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron?

Post by QuirkyCurly 7th November 2010, 4:25 pm

Can someone please explain to me how you just blow-dry then flat-iron your hair? I've tried doing this before but I've never liked the results. Its straight but I don't like the feel of it. It would be nice not to have to use a pressing comb.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron? Empty Re: How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron?

Post by fanmnatirel 7th November 2010, 4:31 pm

Looool. Too funny!
I havent tried straightening yet but I'm pretty sure that just blow drying and then flat iron won't do much...

What flat iron did u use? I hears the CHI does a good job on coarse hair....
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron? Empty Re: How the heck do yall straighten with just a flat iron?

Post by CurlyNMixed 7th November 2010, 5:36 pm

Have you tried banding your hair first, then flat ironing?
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 7th November 2010, 5:39 pm

@fanmnatirel I have more than one flat iron lol but the one's i've used are babyliss pro and this one called curlmaster ceramics. The curlmaster is a few years old and the babyliss i got this year.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 7th November 2010, 5:39 pm

CurlyNMixed wrote:Have you tried banding your hair first, then flat ironing?

No I haven't. What is banding?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 7th November 2010, 5:46 pm

CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 7th November 2010, 5:52 pm

@CurlyNMixed Thanks for the suggestion! I'm watching the video now. My question is after your done banding, does it make it easier to straighten it? Does this method make you roots straighter?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 7th November 2010, 5:54 pm

Yeah. It should. It's stretching your hair so you have quite a lot less curl to contend with. And depending on how tightly you're banding will pretty much determine the straightness of the roots.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 7th November 2010, 6:42 pm

I think its all in the flat-iron and the heat protectant/products you use. I have a ceramic flat iron and it gets my hair as straight and smooth as a hot comb would. I can't remember the name of the last product I used to straighten with, but I think it was made by Motions.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 7th November 2010, 7:16 pm

have u tried the passover method (i think that's what it is called). its using a fine tooth comb and then the flat iron. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZcQbs4l0bg. u only have to pass the iron one time with this method
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 7th November 2010, 8:28 pm

They key flatironing is using very thin sections of hair, like no more than a half an inch. The heat gets distributed more over each hair and it gives it a very silky feeling. It takes more time though.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 7th November 2010, 8:29 pm

Oops meant "The key..."
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 7th November 2010, 8:41 pm

The fine tooth comb thing works wonders. But it makes me believe that I should just buy a dang hot comb. The comb and the flat iron is two steps when the old school hot comb just seems easier. I'm going to buy one next year I think.
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by GorJess 8th November 2010, 12:50 pm

I can't just straighten my natural hair with just a flat-iron. I have to use a blowdryer with an attachment before flat-ironing my hair. I have found that the brush attachment works better than a comb attachment. Before blowdrying, I apply Mane n' Tail Conditioner to my hair. After blowdrying and before flat-ironing, I apply Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres to my hair.
GorJess
GorJess

http://public.fotki.com/poohbear0215

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 10th November 2010, 9:47 pm

i am very sorry i dont have an answer for you, but im gonna be needing to know where you got that cool tshirt!:-)

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 13th November 2010, 5:54 pm

chynadoll8799 wrote:i am very sorry i dont have an answer for you, but im gonna be needing to know where you got that cool tshirt!:-)

Lol I got that shirt at Forever 21.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Str8Curly 14th November 2010, 9:50 pm

To echo what BajanPrincess82 has said..
I unknowingly transitioned by having my hair straightened. For over 6yrs I went to the Salon almost monthly to get my hair "silkened". After washing and deep conditioned, the hair is blow dried straight (my hair would be somewhat straight after blow drying not in a big puff or shrunkened), the hair is sprayed with some heat protectant (I used Silk Elements) and then straightened with some ceramic flat iron in small sections beginning at the nap of the neck. I started doing this myself once every few months and could get my hair SUPER straight.. like bone bone straight.

Str8Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 16th November 2010, 10:55 am

CurlyNMixed wrote:Have you tried banding your hair first, then flat ironing?

Definitely co-signing on the banding method. It works great and it gets my roots pretty smooth.

Also, I could not get the hang of the fine-tooth comb and flat iron method (I am not that coordinated lol!) But, I ended up buying a Maxiglide flat iron which has the detangling pins. It works like a charm and eliminates the need for a fine tooth comb because it basically has one built in. Loves it!
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down