CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do when your favorites fail you?

5 posters

Go down

What to do when your favorites fail you? Empty What to do when your favorites fail you?

Post by BornAgainCurlz 2nd May 2010, 11:21 pm

I've been using Devacurl products for a couple of months now. I obviously kept using them because they were working for me. Soft, light, moisturized...all the good things. But they seemed to have stopped working. This is the third time I've washed my hair and I'm not happy with the results. My hair feels dry and brittle. I'm even experiencing more breakage than usual. it used to be just a few hairs on the comb when i detangled but now everytime I run my fingers through my hair (which I only do when washing with conditioner) it keeps falling out. And its getting worse. I actually had to unclog the drain this time! Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening. I'm starting to get really worried. I had just gotten my hair to its healthiest state its ever been and its been growing well. I dont want to lose all the hard work i've put into it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BornAgainCurlz
BornAgainCurlz

Back to top Go down

What to do when your favorites fail you? Empty Re: What to do when your favorites fail you?

Post by tressedforsuccess 2nd May 2010, 11:31 pm

Have you tried clarifying?
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

What to do when your favorites fail you? Empty Re: What to do when your favorites fail you?

Post by A-Felice 3rd May 2010, 2:29 am

Sounds like cone build up. Do you use silicone products?

Same thing happened to me... like a few days ago. I'm on a modiefied Curly girl method, so what I did was...
I Used a low sulfate shampoo (Tressesme Naturals) to get rid of any silicones sitting on my head. This causes build up and then hair feels dry and brittle, then my ususal products weren't working for me becuase I have build up. Does your hair feel like the products are just sitting on top of it? Like it's not penetrating? Then you definitely have build up.
I followed up by conditioning with a silicone free conditioner (Tresseme Naturals again)

My hair was back to itself and my products started working again. I sealed with safflower oil after adding my leave in (KBB hair nectar) and my hair was happy.

If you want even more moisture I'd do a deep treatment after a low sulfate wash and condish. Then you can add your usual product and make sure you seal.

That's what I did and my hair repayed me with love. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by A-Felice on 3rd May 2010, 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : P.S. Make sure your deep condish has no cones!)
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgainCurlz 3rd May 2010, 8:25 am

i thought i was being so careful when it came to silicones but it seems that one slipped my detection. fortunately since i use so few products i was able to find the culprit quickly. MissJessie's curly pudding contains diimethicone! i guess i didn't find out sooner because i wasn't using it often but lately i've been doing more twist-outs.

so what can i do to remove the build up? do i need to use a shampoo with sls to get it all out? I use DevaCurl no-poo wich i guess is why i have build up. Should I clarify? But I'm not planning on using anymore products with cones so it would just go to waste?

By the way what do you use to deep condition? They last one I used was high in protein with my hair does not like one bit.
BornAgainCurlz
BornAgainCurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 3rd May 2010, 7:36 pm

Definitely use a shampoo with sulfates to get out the cones but make sure to deep condition afterward. I'm still trying to find the best deep conditioner for me... in the mean while I'm using natural concotions like the Cherry Lola Treatment (not good if your hair hates proteins) and the coconut oil/milk/yogurt mix.

hopefuly one of the more experienced ladies can help us with this. Smile
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgainCurlz 3rd May 2010, 9:45 pm

i bought a tea tree shampoo that claims to remove build up. it has a sls but no cones so i figured it would work. my hair felt so horrible afterward! im currently deep conditioning and i made sure that every inch of my hair got a good serving. i bought the DevaCurl Heaven in Hair. I m praying it works.

thanks for the help!
BornAgainCurlz
BornAgainCurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 3rd May 2010, 11:52 pm

some naturals find that alternating products works well. I alternate Giovanni and Carol's Daughter mostly
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 4th May 2010, 11:49 pm

I alternate products as well....and I wash my hair once a week bc my hair is thick and I do have a lot of build-up by week's end...once a month I use a clarifying shampoo by VO5...um love love this shampoo!!...and I alternate each week using Aubrey Organics White Camilla shampoo and CD's Tui Herbal shampoo.

But my hair acts crazy too, one day it is dry and brittle and frizzy, the next day it's so soft and mositurized if feels like silk literally and the curls are just popping...at this point in time...im just going with flow or better yet where my hair takes me...lol!
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgainCurlz 5th May 2010, 8:26 am

my hair feels so much better! i never knew silicones could do such damage to my hair.

now im extra careful when buying products. the other day i took so long searching for a shampoo they thought i was stealing and offered to hold my bags up front! lol i didnt mind it made it easier for me to to examine products without having to mind my bags.

i find clarifying to be harsh on my hair. i DC for an hr to make sure i got all th moisture back in my hair. so i'll try alternating.

thank you all for your advice.
BornAgainCurlz
BornAgainCurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down