CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just starting the journey

5 posters

Go down

Just starting the journey Empty Just starting the journey

Post by pinktamitha64 30th April 2010, 5:24 pm

I have made the decision to go natural as of late this month but i had my last relaxer Jan 13th 2010. I had started doing sow in weaves for about a month and a half in march but i was wondering what would be the best way to start transitioning, keep doing the sow-ins or do bantu knots, braid outs or twists? btw i live in Fl do i am around humidity alot, though i was raised up north.
pinktamitha64
pinktamitha64

Back to top Go down

Just starting the journey Empty Re: Just starting the journey

Post by jlowman1 30th April 2010, 5:34 pm

I'd say whatever you are comfortable with. Just make sure you keep a watch out for breakage at the demarcation line and also keep your hair and scalp moisturized.

When I first started my transition, I began co washing weekly and I would wear braid outs and bantu knot outs. I flat ironed quite often which I didnt know was a bad idea until I BC'ed but luckily I didnt have any heat damage... Hope this helps!

How long do you plan on transitioning?
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by pinktamitha64 30th April 2010, 5:44 pm

I plan on transitioning for a year. and I was thinking bout doin the bantu knots and braid out my hair for the summer and then for the winter do sow ins to protect my hair for the change in weather. What do you think?
pinktamitha64
pinktamitha64

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 30th April 2010, 5:52 pm

Sounds like a plan... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Like I said just keep your hair moisturized and healthy and dont let those permed ends frustrate you. Going natural is one of the best decisions I ever made and wish I had done it sooner...

I planned on transitioning for a year also but when I hit 4 1/2 months, the two textures got to be too much so I chopped it all off... lol

Have a happy and healthy transition!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by pinktamitha64 30th April 2010, 6:01 pm

thanks so much.... would you mind if i asked you to be my transitioning buddy? I so trying to get use to the natural thing and this is the first time im taking a stand n control of my hair Smile
pinktamitha64
pinktamitha64

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 30th April 2010, 6:04 pm

Sure, I'm only four months in but I'd love to help you as much as I can!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by pinktamitha64 30th April 2010, 6:10 pm

thanks Smile n how long in did you start to see your curl/wave pattern? Do you kno what type of hair type you are? cuz im think I am a 4 type but don't know whether a or b lol
pinktamitha64
pinktamitha64

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 30th April 2010, 6:18 pm

It took me probably about a month... In the beginning I thought I was a full 3c but as my hair grew out, the textures began to change.

I am a 3c/4a mix... I have all types of textures going through this head. LoL, Its springy coils from my ear, around my forehead and stops at the other ear. Its wavy and less defined in the top and very fuzzy at times, in the back it looks like straw curls & at the nape of my neck its really kinky no real curl pattern...

You generally wont know your true pattern until you big chop because the permed ends weigh down your new growth so much. It can be very deceiving.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashima 4th May 2010, 12:01 pm

Hi Jlowman,
When did you have your last relaxer? You say you have been transitioning for 4 months. Your hair looks Beautiful! I just started my journey last month. I had my last relaxer March 2010.

Ashima

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 4th May 2010, 12:36 pm

I live in Fla and was raised up north as well, and for the first year of my transition, I was doing sew-ins, kinky twists, and ponytails. In the summertime, I might do kinky twists again so I don't have to deal with my hair like that. It's too hot!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 4th May 2010, 12:46 pm

Braids, twists, weaves, and wigs are all great protective styles to where while transitioning. I was a very long term transitioner (18.5 months) and I wore weaves during the first twelve months to ease me more comfortably into this transition. I learned you should establish a commitment to take care of your hair as if it were completely natural and to not focus on length but health.

As jlowman shared, moisture is key yet if necessary you may need to balance with protein. I did protein treatments every 6 wks after I removed an install to strengthen my strands.

You'll find tons of knowledge here at Curlynikki.com and I wish you a healthy success with your transition. Welcome!
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 5th May 2010, 12:23 am

Ashima wrote:Hi Jlowman,
When did you have your last relaxer? You say you have been transitioning for 4 months. Your hair looks Beautiful! I just started my journey last month. I had my last relaxer March 2010.

Thanks so much! I had my last relaxer sometime in August 2009 and big chopped on December 18, 2009.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by pinktamitha64 5th May 2010, 10:13 am

wow girl thats great!!! i just started ugh hate my dry hair nothing is working the only thing ive used so hair cuz i wanted to try the inexpensive things first before the online stuff is the S curl spray.
pinktamitha64
pinktamitha64

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down