CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starting dreads....

+3
creolebeauty1
zanajh
j. kinky
7 posters

Go down

starting dreads.... Empty starting dreads....

Post by Guest 4th January 2011, 11:02 pm

what i wanna know is, how do u start locs?? i've never had them before and i wanna know....does anyone have any suggestions about different techniques and the products to use when doing so and how should i go about the whole process....also is it a bad idea for ppl w/ dry scalp??~ confused

Back to top Go down

starting dreads.... Empty Re: starting dreads....

Post by j. kinky 4th January 2011, 11:05 pm

hmmmm iuse to want dreads until i fell in love with my kinky hair...

there sisterlocs, plam roll, interlocking,free form. i heard beez wax was not good...but i aint no expert....i suggest going to dreadznheadz.com
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th January 2011, 11:08 pm

o ok...i need some info on how to start dreads....the site u referred me to seems more like a stylist or someone that does dreads?? correct me if i'm wrong or may have went to the wrong site~

Back to top Go down

Post by zanajh 5th January 2011, 2:11 am

Try the nappturality forums...there a very active loc community there...but here is what i have gathered:

Locks could be started in many ways
-Freeform: where hair is just not not combed and separated into separate parts everytime it is washed.

-Sisterlocks: which is a patented method of locking hair into tiny portions. Using "special equipment and gridding method" This is very expensive but very professional looking and very versatile.

-Comb coils: hair is twisted into curls and palm rolled for maintainance.This method gives smooth looking locks. However it tends to unravel if you wash your hair very often.

-(My favorite) Bradelocz method: Where hair is braided and allowed to loc. It is maintained by latching using a latch hook, hair pin or nappy lock tool. This is good for one with an active lifestyle: hair can be washed/rinsed wthout the fear of unravelling. Also in colder countries( in my country it is summer all year long Razz ) locks could be palm rolled during winter months. This could also be done using two strand twists

Hope this helps!
zanajh
zanajh

http://islandgirlnappiness.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 5th January 2011, 2:19 am

I 'm not sure but i think you have to twist and wait until they lock than re twist that sister lock looks gorgeous though Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by abba 5th January 2011, 3:17 pm

I've had locs before, twice actually, and i started them from two strand twists that I did myself. If you want to be more connected to your locs then you I wouls suggest doing them yourself. not to say that if you get them professionally started that you won't be as connected, but that's how i felt. But like zanajh said, nappturality.com has a lot of information. Another place to go is locrocker.com, she has some insight as well as links you can refer to.
abba
abba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2011, 6:27 pm

@zanajh..
ok, i get what ur saying, but what kind of tool would i have to buy to help my hair loc after i've braided it??

Back to top Go down

Post by zanajh 6th January 2011, 2:54 pm

A latch hook tool..which you could get from ebay/amazon/ any sewing center...or a hairpin Smile
zanajh
zanajh

http://islandgirlnappiness.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 3:38 pm

and what do u do w/ the hair pin?? like how do u go about using it; u lost me on that part lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 6th January 2011, 3:41 pm

Here is a tutorial on how to use a latch hook