CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psoriasis and Transitioning

+3
Janique
Butterfly126
TiseeBabee
7 posters

Go down

Psoriasis and Transitioning Empty Psoriasis and Transitioning

Post by TiseeBabee 29th April 2010, 11:46 am

I got diagnosed with Psoriasis in November. At first it started in just small patches on my chest. But somehow it moved to my scalp. I'm not sure where it came from, but the doctors have told me that it's genetic...funny thing is. NO one and I mean no one in my family has a case of psoriasis. Weird.

Anyways, I got my last relaxer October 3, 2009...a Mizani Rhelaxer or whatever it's called. It was my first time getting that type of relaxer (I usually got botanicals)...and it made my hair all silky. It burned a little, and I had the sores, but I thought what the hey. I've had em before...

but those 'sores' never went away, they became scaly patches... and psoriasis as I've been told.

Long story short, I've decided no more perms...I'm Transitioning... going on 7 months now I guess.

My question is, Is anyone else going through anything like this...how do you deal with the flaking, and itching... or do you know of any natural remedies to beat psoriasis. The steroids (olux-E, Clobex shampoo) are not something I want to do long term.

thanks.
TiseeBabee
TiseeBabee

Back to top Go down

Psoriasis and Transitioning Empty Re: Psoriasis and Transitioning

Post by Butterfly126 29th April 2010, 1:57 pm

I don't have psoriasis but my scalp gets very itchy. I usually oil my scalp with coconut oil. I was looking online for natural remedies and found this website. It has a list of essential oils and herbs used to treat different conditions.

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/hair-care.htm
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 29th April 2010, 8:15 pm

I have seborrheic dermatitis and have been dealing with this since I was 11. I think relaxers aggravated my condition. The last straw with relaxers was when my whole scalp scabbed up and turned white. I've been transitioning for 20 months now. Apple cider vinegar helped me a lot. I also used to use T-Gel shampoo from neutrogena.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by kdenise 29th April 2010, 9:10 pm

Same issue with me! I tried T-Gel, a host of other dandruff/itchy scalp shampoo's and NOTHING worked so I did end up using Clobex for 6 weeks. I am still supposed to use it now but I don't. I've been monitoring my scalp and it's doing just fine...still itchy from time to time but I found that peppermint oil helps with that.

I hope that you find something that works for you!!
kdenise
kdenise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 29th April 2010, 10:03 pm

Thanks for sharing ladies. My mom has the same problem. I have some peppermint oil. @ Kdenise - what do you mix your peppermint oil with?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by WalkingInDestiny 29th April 2010, 10:26 pm

I had really bad dandruff rior to going natural...Coconut oil really helps, plus in a natural state my hair tolerates more oil and moisture than when it was realxed. Also with the essential oils be careful and you might just try one at a time do to your condition, some of them can cause allergic reactions to those who are sensitive, so if you start with a mixture of oils and have a reaction you may can't tell with one cause the breakout.. I recently tried an all natural gel, and I had a slight reaction..just FYI...maybe try a patchtest first.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WalkingInDestiny
WalkingInDestiny

Back to top Go down

Post by kdenise 29th April 2010, 11:31 pm

I added a few drops to jojoba oil...I have a small spray bottle I use and i just spray it on my scalp and after a few minutes, my scalp is tingling! If I use it after I shampoo, I don't massage it into my scalp b/c I can feel the affects within minutes. But other times, I massage it in and get the same tingling results. I just used some and my scalp feels great! dance

I have coconut oil as well but haven't used it yet. May try that on next.
kdenise
kdenise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 29th April 2010, 11:41 pm

You might also try castor oil, I have scalp issues and I haven't been able to determine what exactly it is, I have eczema and psoriasis runs in my family. But I've tried a host of products that did nothing for me. Right now I'm using castor oil (daily) and when I DC my hair once a week I also DC my scalp with coconut oil. I'm actually not sure which one is doing all the work, but I'm pretty sure its mostly the castor oil. I still have some flakes (very little, almost none compared to before) but I have not scratched my head ONCE since I started this routine
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th April 2010, 12:17 am

Thanks Kdenise! I have jojoba oil too so I will mix it up for her. I think that will be a good combo for her because she has soft, fine hair.

My mom is old school so I will put her in an applicator bottle so she can "grease" her scalp. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

She BC'd almost a month ago and her hair is thickening up really well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by TiseeBabee 30th April 2010, 10:21 am

Thanks ladies for all of the suggestions! I haven't tried Castor oil. I have been reading about the jamaican black castor oil. I've read that it works well.

I've tried coconut oil to no avail. It does nothing for my hair, but wonders for my skin. Smile

But I will be on the lookout for peppermint oil...I live in a small town, and the only health food store they have is always out of it!

I did get my ends trimmed last week, and to cope with the itching, my hair dresser used something on my head called scalp relief, by a company called KIMBLE. It tingled, then it cool. Itching went away. They are supposed to sell it at Target, guess what?!?! NOT mines. Think I'll order it online.

Thanks again ladies!
TiseeBabee
TiseeBabee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down