CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leave-ins

5 posters

Go down

Leave-ins Empty Leave-ins

Post by ... 27th April 2010, 3:18 pm

Does anyone know of a 'cone-/protein-free, creamy leave-in conditioner that I can get in stores, is affordable, and is natural/organic?

I've tried shea butter as a moisturizer, but my hair hates all butters (especially shea) and anything with butters in it, so that's an instant no-go.

Just plain water and oil isn't moisturizing enough either. And my hair hates aloe vera juice/gel and vegetable glycerin as moisturizers.

I've also tried homemade spritzes, but they're never moisturizing enough--my hair does much better with creamy products. I can't leave regular conditioners in my hair because they always build up on my scalp and hair and feel awful--it has to be a designated leave-in.

I've tried Alba Botanica, and it's great, but it's a pretty small amount for how much I need. I'm also testing out the Giovanni Direct Leave-in (the new formula) right now, and it's okay, but nothing spectacular.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Back to top Go down

Leave-ins Empty Re: Leave-ins

Post by chscott_77 27th April 2010, 3:48 pm

I like Trader Joe's Tea Tree conditioner, I love the way it opens my pores and is organic. I also tried the Herbal Essence Totally Twisted and HE Hydration because I saw so many of the other curlies here at Curly Nikki speak highly about them. Right now I am trying to stick with one conditioner (HE Totally Twisted) for a couple of weeks and see how my hair response. I am fairly new to natural hair and still have a TWA. Still have not found my staple.

Thanks,
chscott_77
chscott_77

http://chscott77.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 27th April 2010, 3:55 pm

chscott_77 wrote:I like Trader Joe's Tea Tree conditioner, I love the way it opens my pores and is organic. I also tried the Herbal Essence Totally Twisted and HE Hydration because I saw so many of the other curlies here at Curly Nikki speak highly about them. Right now I am trying to stick with one conditioner (HE Totally Twisted) for a couple of weeks and see how my hair response. I am fairly new to natural hair and still have a TWA. Still have not found my staple.

Thanks,

I would love to use regular conditioners, but like I said, they build up something terrible on my hair. I tried the TJ Nourish Spa and the Tea Tree, for example, and while I got good curl definition, they didn't provide any moisture whatsoever and my scalp was really itchy. They're good rinse-outs, though, but nothing special.

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 27th April 2010, 4:29 pm

I'm interested in finding this out too, btw. I've been on the look out for something descent in stores, but have yet to find anything. I would rather not be dependent on having to wait for my products to ship all the time.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th April 2010, 5:49 pm

SummerRuby wrote:Does anyone know of a 'cone-/protein-free, creamy leave-in conditioner that I can get in stores, is affordable, and is natural/organic?

I've tried shea butter as a moisturizer, but my hair hates all butters (especially shea) and anything with butters in it, so that's an instant no-go.

Just plain water and oil isn't moisturizing enough either. And my hair hates aloe vera juice/gel and vegetable glycerin as moisturizers.

I've also tried homemade spritzes, but they're never moisturizing enough--my hair does much better with creamy products. I can't leave regular conditioners in my hair because they always build up on my scalp and hair and feel awful--it has to be a designated leave-in.

I've tried Alba Botanica, and it's great, but it's a pretty small amount for how much I need. I'm also testing out the Giovanni Direct Leave-in (the new formula) right now, and it's okay, but nothing spectacular.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Have you tried mixing your shea with something? I have better results when it is mixed with something--oils, aloe vera gel, glycerin, etc. I know you wrote your hair hates all those things but you would be surprised how a combination of ingredients does a head of hair good.

I do not know of any items you can purchase from a storefront that is moisturizing and cone-free. The only cone-free conditioners I know are Giovanni, Burt's Bees, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals and V05 conditioners. I know you get build up with them so not sure if this is helpful. You can try to ensure you are only applying moisturizer to the last 2/3 of your hair or at least avoiding your scalp. Applying product in section can help with this.

I hope you find something that works for your hair. I can only imagine your frustration.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 27th April 2010, 6:04 pm

Have you tried mixing your shea with something? I have better results when it is mixed with something--oils, aloe vera gel, glycerin, etc. I know you wrote your hair hates all those things but you would be surprised how a combination of ingredients does a head of hair good.

I do not know of any items you can purchase from a storefront that is moisturizing and cone-free. The only cone-free conditioners I know are Giovanni, Burt's Bees, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals and V05 conditioners. I know you get build up with them so not sure if this is helpful. You can try to ensure you are only applying moisturizer to the last 2/3 of your hair or at least avoiding your scalp. Applying product in section can help with this.

I hope you find something that works for your hair. I can only imagine your frustration.

Yea, I tried whipping shea butter with aloe vera gel, and it worked for a while, but then suddenly my hair did a 180 and now nothing with shea works, and I've tried a bunch of different combinations. I've only revisited raw shea butter once since then, but I tried mango butter with aloe vera gel recently, and that was such a disaster that I ended up selling it. I'm most likely going to revisit shea butter again, whip it EVOO (since my hair is suddenly starting to love that), and see how that works out. It'll make my life astronomically easier if shea butter starts working as a moisturizer.

Thanks for the wishes.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th April 2010, 11:45 pm

I thought of two other lines you may try. Shea Moisture Leave in and Tigi Bead Head Moisture Maniac--both are cone-free.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th April 2010, 11:47 pm

I don't really have many store front recommendations either, but I am liking V05 moisture milks so far, although I don't use it as a leave in. I also like Kinky Curly Knot Today. It's an excellent detangler. As far as online, my favorite is Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down