CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Butter.... OILY????

+2
jess-b-cuz
6 posters

Go down

Shea Butter.... OILY???? Empty Shea Butter.... OILY????

Post by jess-b-cuz 26th April 2010, 1:31 am

So I'm a newbie transitioner [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I decided to try unrefined shea butter. I don't like the smell of it but i already know about mixing different oils to make it smell better. I love the look of my hair after braidouts using it. But I was wondering if it should be leaving an oily feeling or am I just using too much(i'm heavy-handed)????
jess-b-cuz
jess-b-cuz

Back to top Go down

Shea Butter.... OILY???? Empty Re: Shea Butter.... OILY????

Post by ... 26th April 2010, 8:11 am

Shea butter always left an oily film on my hair, no matter how little I used, and it never absorbed and my hair never felt actually moisturized. I realize now that my hair hates butters (especially shea butter) and any hair product with butters in it (again, especially shea butter)--which sucks, since that basically means that I can't make my own moisturizer because pretty much every recipe incorporates butters. Since it seems to be working for you sometimes at least, you could just be putting too much on. It could also be all the oils you're adding; if decreasing the amount you're using doesn't work, try replacing some of the oils in your next batch of whipped shea butter with aloe vera gel--AVG usually makes whipped shea feel less oily.

Back to top Go down

Post by MicaiahTy 27th April 2010, 2:08 pm

OMG..

I tried to use shea butter on my hair wet and did two strand twist.

I got the curl definition that i liked, but my hair was so greasy i could fry a pork chop on it..

I think im heavy handed too... i only use it to oil my scalp now.
MicaiahTy
MicaiahTy

https://www.youtube.com/micaiahty

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 27th April 2010, 4:40 pm

I think that for many people whose strands have low-porosity (meaning that their cuticle is really closed and doesnt allow for much absorbtion of product) shea butter is a bit too heavy and tends to leave hair oily.

I have extremely low porosity and I've definitely had this issue and had to cut it and almost all butters and oils out of my regiment. the only one I can consistently use without getting the oilyness now is Coconut Oil....
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinkie 28th April 2010, 12:33 am

try mixing the shea butter with aloe vera gel or kinky curly knot today , i had the same problem with shea butter until i mixed it up with aloe vera gel and kckt or your fav conditioner

try it out , it worked wonders for me Smile
Tinkie
Tinkie

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 28th April 2010, 12:37 am

lol@ MicaiahTy- girl that fry a porkchop almost caused me to fall out of my chair.

All I can say is , aint natural hair something else? It is amazing that certain things will work for others and wont work for you!
No
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess-b-cuz 28th April 2010, 12:41 am

thx for the advice. this week im steering clear of the shea butter and will just try EVOO or any oil to see how that works out
jess-b-cuz
jess-b-cuz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down