CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm still confused by my hair, lol

+6
coilykinks
swoodward
tashafawn24
Music8192
DvaAuNaturel
opheiliamath
10 posters

Go down

I'm still confused by my hair, lol Empty I'm still confused by my hair, lol

Post by opheiliamath 23rd April 2010, 7:49 pm

SOOOO, I think I need to find my hair twin. I'm sick and tired of trying product just for the sake of trying them. HE Totally twisted shampoo was fail, the condish is so-so, the hair gel is ugghhh...Would you ladies please look at my link to see what hair type I am. I wanted to not be defined by a hair type but I think i need to try a different approach to my hair.....Maybe suggest a hair twin. My hair is NOT as its full potential and I know its because i'm not giving it the love and attention it needs! I'm so fustrated.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=177735&id=772710947&l=5cf4b1b96a
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

I'm still confused by my hair, lol Empty Re: I'm still confused by my hair, lol

Post by DvaAuNaturel 23rd April 2010, 8:07 pm

This is exactly why I decided to participate in the 30 day product line challenge, where you use the same products on your hair for a set period. It was one of the only ways I could stay focused in order to figure out what would work best for my hair because I was using all kinds of different things just for the sake of trying them, instead of doing what is best for my hair. I am trying to learn early my hair do's/don't's. I'm sure you'll find what you need on here though....so many knowledgeable curlies.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 23rd April 2010, 9:34 pm

It's all about trial and error. You are going to have to try a product for a certain amount time to see if it really works just as DvaAuNaturel mentioned. Right now i am newly natural an in the process of still finding products that work but I refuse to drive myself crazy. There is some stuff i'm using just to get rid of lol and stuff that I want to try but want to get rid of what I have first.

Good Luck Smile
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 23rd April 2010, 10:04 pm

Your hair is beautiful, what is the problem girly? It looks like you're doing a great job whatever you're doing because you have some crazy growth! You are definitely where I want be right now! (Okay, I live in Texas so I'll enjoy the shorter do until it begins to turn cold).
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 23rd April 2010, 10:11 pm

Your hair is so black. i am jealous.
I have a couple of questions: What kind of products have you used? How long do you use them? Do you like organic products and are they ok for your budget? I ask because I have had AWFUL luck with a lot of products - Pantene and Herbal Essences and my hair do not get along at all. Other ladies seem to do great. But I never hit my stride until I started using organic products.
Just a thought...
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 23rd April 2010, 10:19 pm

Just checked out your pics....your hair looks good. Cute puff! You should check out the product thread. It is about trial and error but reading what others have tried and having an awareness of the products may help you somewhat.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 23rd April 2010, 11:27 pm

Sometimes I feel the same about my hair, but as someone else said-"it is trial amd error." I get frustrated sometimes with my hair and when I do I just run to the stylist and get some coil twists and that keeps my hands out of my hair for a while until I feel like messing with it again.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by TriniCherryPrincess 24th April 2010, 5:10 pm

opheiliamath wrote:SOOOO, I think I need to find my hair twin. I'm sick and tired of trying product just for the sake of trying them.
I feel your pain and I haven't even started yet. I hope you find your hair twin soon. It would be nice to get the correct products on the first try, wouldn't it? I know it may not be possible but that's how I'm going into it, with my fingers crossed! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Best wishes
TriniCherryPrincess
TriniCherryPrincess

http://www.AllThingsLena.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by opheiliamath 26th April 2010, 9:21 am

Thanks for looking ladies. I read your questions and here are my answers. What I use in my hair now.

Aussie Moist condish, for co wash and leave in
Mane and tail shampoo and condish
HE Hello Hydration condish for co wash and leave in
Organix Coconut milk shampoo and condish
HE totally twisted shampoo(hated it) condish co wash and leave in
Shea butter on damp and dry hair
coconut oil whenever I feel like it

I wash my hair once or twice a month. I co wash once a week. Deep condish my hair once a month.

Organic products i've never tired. Just because its easy to find the "name brand" stuff at my local Walmart, CVS, and such. So I haven't tried organic but i'm not opposed to doing so.

My problem is I have no mositure. I really don't have product that I use to help keep my hair lush and not brittle. I'm battling serious dryness right now. I do not have a staple leave in which I believe is a must. When my hair is dry and I try to comb through I don't like the amount of hair I see around my sink. And I believe its do to lack of moisture.
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

Post by opheiliamath 26th April 2010, 9:24 am

swoodward wrote:Your hair is so black. i am jealous.
I have a couple of questions: What kind of products have you used? How long do you use them? Do you like organic products and are they ok for your budget? I ask because I have had AWFUL luck with a lot of products - Pantene and Herbal Essences and my hair do not get along at all. Other ladies seem to do great. But I never hit my stride until I started using organic products.
Just a thought...

Thanks, can I just say I use to once hate my hair being so black. I would try rinses and the color NEVER TOOK! I appreicate my hair now. I love my black hair.

Last edited by opheiliamath on 26th April 2010, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 26th April 2010, 3:27 pm

Hi there. In looking at your list it seems like the problem is simply that you don't use a moisturizer. Many people on CN use Quemet products. I sometimes use Carols Daughter hair milk and/or a mixture of coconut oil and other essentials. HTH
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by opheiliamath 27th April 2010, 9:08 am

I did some online looking for info on Qhemet. Sounds really good. Then I went to there website...everything is out of stock, and there are no location here in Boston. How is the shipping time? Because my sister just recently ordered a Afroveda product...I think it was a hair butter and its taking forever to get here. I was going to use some of that to see if I like the moisture,lol. The only hair products I buy online is my shea butter. Because the cost of a product and then add on the cost of shipping, it adds up.

Last edited by opheiliamath on 27th April 2010, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add ons)
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 27th April 2010, 11:25 am

I think you should increase your deep conditioning, once a month may not be enough. When I was battling dryness I deep conditioned weekly and it took about 1-2 (maybe more) for the efforts to really become noticeable. Also, moisturize before applying the shea butter. If you want to go commercial - I use care free curl instant moisturizer (with glycerine).

No matter what products you use, if the technique is not right you will not get the results you want. Deep condition like there is no tomorrow until you have the moisture level you desire and then you can gradually increase time between deep conditioning treatments.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by opheiliamath 27th April 2010, 11:40 am

tiashauntee wrote:I think you should increase your deep conditioning, once a month may not be enough. When I was battling dryness I deep conditioned weekly and it took about 1-2 (maybe more) for the efforts to really become noticeable. Also, moisturize before applying the shea butter. If you want to go commercial - I use care free curl instant moisturizer (with glycerine).

No matter what products you use, if the technique is not right you will not get the results you want. Deep condition like there is no tomorrow until you have the moisture level you desire and then you can gradually increase time between deep conditioning treatments.

Really increase my DC? Never thought of that, I really didn't. I use Africa's Best Organic Hair Mayonnaise as a DC and I also use Coconut Oil as a DC treatment.

When I apply shea butter I usually either put coconut oil or my organix coconut milk anti breakage serum in my hair (which i felt out of the list of products I use) then I add shea butter.

Thanks for the tip on increasing my DC. I will definetly try that since I know I already have my DC staples.
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytoi 27th April 2010, 12:38 pm

i would definitely say you are not moisturizing enough. several of your products contain protein, so you need to up the moisturizer.

target sells several organic brands. my hair has responded so much better to them.

some brands are: giovanni organics, shea moisture, kiss my face. they have a whole aisle.

good luck.

curlytoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down