CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going natrual sparking negativity.

5 posters

Go down

Going natrual sparking negativity. Empty Going natrual sparking negativity.

Post by Curly_Star_19 22nd April 2010, 12:59 am

Hello CurlyNIkki community, I'm new to the site...found it a couple weeks ago and I LOVE it! I'm hoping I can find some encouragement/advice and tips on transitioning and going natrual overall. So my last relaxer was Oct. of 09 I didn't start off with the intentions of going natrual I was just too broke to go see my stylist. One day a few weeks ago I stumbled across a video of a young women's BC and it sparked an interest in me and I began to do more and more research on BC's and transitioning. After about 2 nights of staying up till 3 watching Youtube vids I decided that going natrual was something I really wanted to do myself. I've always been a fan of natrual beauty. I do not get weave's, wear fake nails, and am minimal on make-up. No offense to anyone who does these things I just love ppl in their rawest forms. Anywhoo...ever sense I've made the decision to go natrual (it's been about 2 weeks) I've stopped using my flat iron, started co-washing and using my shea butter faithfully. I've done braid-outs, twist-outs, and bantu knots and I LOVE seeing my hair curly. I've gotten some compliments but ALOT of ppl say I look crazy. I've gotten everything from "You look like a wet dog" to "You just need to get a perm and a wrap and call it a day". I'm torn...I love it but how to I deal with the negativity???
Curly_Star_19
Curly_Star_19

Back to top Go down

Going natrual sparking negativity. Empty Re: Going natrual sparking negativity.

Post by jac.attack 22nd April 2010, 1:13 am

I'm sorry someone said that to you. They must be really insecure with themselves to say that. The only thing I know to do IGNORE IT and move away from them! I know it's hard when people say rude things like that but most people who have transitioned have been insulted or looked at crazy, sometimes from people they considered close to them (parents, siblings, best friends, significant others...). I had to deal with it from my close friends and brother. My dad and brother STILL constantly ask me when will I straighten my hair and compliment me when I do but say nothing about my hair when i wear it natural. But the important thing is you love your hair and take care of it. The ladies on this site are always here to offer advice and honest compliments.

Also, I've noticed when I went natural I saw more naturals and maybe you'll find some naturals in your area who can support you through your journey. The curly meet up board might have a Georgia meetup coming soon. Smile

jac.attack

Back to top Go down

Post by annedrea 22nd April 2010, 10:05 pm

OMG, I've recently decided to go natural also. Girl, continue your natural journey. I'm post relaxer for about 4 months. I, too have been having some negative reviews b/c I started wearing twists outs and rod sets. What has shocked me is that it is my family members [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] who continue with the negative reviews of my hair. However my friends, boyfriend, and many other people think it's a really beautiful thing I'm doing.

But please continue the journey. I know it's all worth it in the long run!!
annedrea
annedrea

http://www.akinkystateofmind.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Star_19 26th April 2010, 5:58 pm

Thanks for the advice BAMNcurls and to annedrea I'm sorry your family is being so hard on you. My boyfriend loves my hair as well but no matter what anyone says I do believe it will all be worth it in the end.
Curly_Star_19
Curly_Star_19

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 26th April 2010, 6:48 pm

Those people are what I call "haters." I know that term gets overused but if you like your hair and ppl compliment you - why do they need to rain on your parade. They just can't stand to see you embrace and be happy about who you were meant to be.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 26th April 2010, 7:45 pm

I'm three months into my journey and have not received any negative comments yet, but I'm really dreading them so, as of right now I've only told a handful of people (4). They were positive for the most part, but one said I wouldn't be able to manage, but I took that as a personal challenge (ha!). I don't plan on telling anyone else, they can all find out what I've been doing when I chop (if I ever do, lol). I figure if I don't share no one will be able to say anything negative, we'll see how long it lasts, but thats my strategy for now.

Also I try to remind myself that most people don't know how great natural hair can look, so I'll try not to hold it against people if/when they make negative comments.
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down