CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 week after BC.......need styling help

+7
goombagirl
sweetdrk1
EmbracingNaturalMe
Iomer
mstokes2008
tiashaunteé
chrysmar
11 posters

Go down

1 week after BC.......need styling help Empty 1 week after BC.......need styling help

Post by chrysmar 19th April 2010, 4:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hello Nubian Naturals [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I did my own BC on 4/9/10 because of many reasons. One being i never felt pretty unless i had a wig or weave on..i know silly but i never saw to many naturals in my city.Well i got tired of living in fear of my "nappy real" hair so i bc'd and i feel so liberated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ..yet since i really have no experience with natural hair except to perm it lol i cant seem to find a way to style it seeing as it is very short and curly. i cant wait til its all wild and curly but until then i want to be able to diversify my look!!!

Also what are some good products to keep my hair from becoming dry during the day

Thanks bunches [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by chrysmar on 19th April 2010, 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : title change)
chrysmar
chrysmar

Back to top Go down

1 week after BC.......need styling help Empty Re: 1 week after BC.......need styling help

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 5:03 pm

Unfortunately finding the product that will work for you will be based more on trial error and not just a suggestion. You may want to go through this thread to get an idea of some of the products the curlies on here like: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/products-f4/i-can-t-live-without-my-t7.htm?highlight=live
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

1 week after BC.......need styling help Empty Re: 1 week after BC.......need styling help

Post by mstokes2008 19th April 2010, 10:15 pm

Congrats on your BC! It looks really good
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 19th April 2010, 10:25 pm

Congrats!!!!

Like @tiashauntee said, it's mainly trial and error.

I would recommend Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as moisturizing cond. for co-washing and quick conditioning, or even as a leave-in sometimes.

Glycerin and keratin are good styling humectants as well as honey (which I haven't tried, I've just heard it's good.
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EmbracingNaturalMe 19th April 2010, 10:32 pm

Congrats on BC! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am newly natural so I am still experimenting with what works on my hair. I am cowashing for the most part. After cowashing, I use a creamy leave-in followed by castor oil or shea butter mix. I also use a vegetable glycerin/water mix. During the cowash, I rinse the conditioner out of my hair using cool water, to seal in some of the moisture. The conditioners I use to cowash are Suave Naturals, VO5, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. The creamy leave in that I use are some of the same conditioners I cowash with (but watered down) or Giovanni Direct Leave-In. I hopes this help! It is really trial and error. I am hoping to narrow down what works best on my hair to a few items. Until I do that, I will have to keep on experimenting.
EmbracingNaturalMe
EmbracingNaturalMe

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 19th April 2010, 10:57 pm

congrats on the BC!! you have some great advice here!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by chrysmar 20th April 2010, 11:08 am

Thanks a bunch! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i have found some great info on here. I went and bought suave cocoanut conditioner and i like how its not too heavy..i did make a huge mistake and found out my hair does not respond well to just gel and water...it was a crunchy mess lmao..now im just trying to find a good leave in conditioner to keep my hair from looking dry throughout the day. also with oklahoma weather it can be sunny one day and 50 degrees the next lol..so i need to find a style i can wear so im not walking in the cold with wet hair.
chrysmar
chrysmar

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 20th April 2010, 11:18 am

Chrysmar SMILE Smile The BC looks gorgeous.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by WalkingInDestiny 21st April 2010, 12:21 am

chrysmar wrote:Thanks a bunch! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i have found some great info on here. I went and bought suave cocoanut conditioner and i like how its not too heavy..i did make a huge mistake and found out my hair does not respond well to just gel and water...it was a crunchy mess lmao..now im just trying to find a good leave in conditioner to keep my hair from looking dry throughout the day. also with oklahoma weather it can be sunny one day and 50 degrees the next lol..so i need to find a style i can wear so im not walking in the cold with wet hair.

I live in OKC too, you should try the health food store off Penn and I240, many hair products I have read about on here I have seen in this particular store. Walmart is also a carrier of natural products. Today is my one month anniversary. I will agree it is trial and error. I will add once you find out what product provides your hair with the right amount of moisture..girl your hair will be like a new head of hair, even though it looks good right now,put in some moisture you will fall in love with your hair...
WalkingInDestiny
WalkingInDestiny

Back to top Go down

Post by lilcago 21st April 2010, 2:05 am

I go to okla city univ afro, u said gel and water makes your hair crunchy, I use a curl activator and water on my and it doesn't make it hard, but u gotta be careful because too much will make your hair greasy, but i guess its just trial and error, I'm still learning too, but i guess i don't have much hair to mess with yet lol.
lilcago
lilcago

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 21st April 2010, 6:25 am

Congrats on your BC. Everything is trial and error and patients. That is the main thing. You should look at the different threads to see what new people are using, but when you find something that works. STICK TO IT!! Trust as you go your hair will tell you what is right or wrong. Just listen to your hair and touch it and see how it feels. Everyone has given you good advice I also look forward to seeing your natural journey.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by chscott_77 21st April 2010, 3:31 pm

Congrats on your recent BC! I am 1 month into my hair journey and still trying to find what works for me. I think I have narrowed it down. I use mainly water and Long Aid curl activator and it keeps my hair moist and soft. Everything else drys it out. After it grows out, I know I will switch but this will do right now because it works.I lay my sides down with ecostyle olive oil gel. I've tried alot of products and after co-washing with Trader Joes Tree Tea conditioner yesterday, I am hooked. Its one of the best conditioners that I have used thus far and I have many since going natural. You will find what is best for your hair. I suggest looking at youtube videos and natural hair forums.
chscott_77
chscott_77

http://chscott77.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down