CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"When are you going to stop breastfeeding?"

+12
knatural
HappyCurly
NhappyJackie
R2D2
naturallynappy
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
rjdorsey
DreamMerchant
deslyn615
ChrsLvsBks
LaToya28
AfrikanLatina
16 posters

Go down

"When are you going to stop breastfeeding?" Empty "When are you going to stop breastfeeding?"

Post by AfrikanLatina 13th April 2010, 10:15 pm

WHY DO YOU CARE!??!?!? Oh my goodness it gets on my damn nerves when my family asks me that question. I was just on the phone with my sister(whom I'm very close with) and of course we talked about my son. I was explaining to her that he sleeps through the night but I go in and feed him before I go to bed at night. So she asks, "When are you going to start weaning him?" I said, "I'll breastfeed him as long as I want." She said, "Aight, he's going to be 6 years old with a mouth full of teeth saying momma I want some milk." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I reply, "Why do people talk about things they know nothing about?" I then proceed to change the subject. While my sister and I are quite close it just irks me when she talks about things that she has no experience with. She didn't breastfeed either of my nieces and aside from me and a cousin whose son is younger than mine no other women in my family breastfed either. Not my mother, not my aunts, not my grandmother. NO ONE!! My cousin only decided to breastfeed after calling me and asking me about my experience with it. SO WHY OH WHY do people think its okay to have an opinion on what I am doing for my son? UGH!!! Maybe I should've talked about this in the vent thread. Sorry ladies but I had to let that out.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

"When are you going to stop breastfeeding?" Empty Re: "When are you going to stop breastfeeding?"

Post by LaToya28 14th April 2010, 11:39 am

I know exactly how you feel and you did the right thing by changing the subject. Although breastfeeding is best for our kids people still act like it's something dirty. I breastfed my youngest daughter for 15 months and I would always get the "you're going to be breastfeeding her until she's ____ (just fill in the blank: in kindergarten, in college, etc)" It's stupid and uncalled for.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

"When are you going to stop breastfeeding?" Empty Re: "When are you going to stop breastfeeding?"

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th April 2010, 11:40 am

I am sorry this happened. Yeah, I think oftentimes we do not think before we speak [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 16th April 2010, 4:03 pm

LaToya28 wrote:I know exactly how you feel and you did the right thing by changing the subject. Although breastfeeding is best for our kids people still act like it's something dirty. I breastfed my youngest daughter for 15 months and I would always get the "you're going to be breastfeeding her until she's ____ (just fill in the blank: in kindergarten, in college, etc)" It's stupid and uncalled for.

I'm glad someone truly understands. Its just not necessary. Breastfeeding is one of the best things you could do for your child and people turn it into something negative. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone sis. Smile

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I am sorry this happened. Yeah, I think oftentimes we do not think before we speak [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Thanks Chrs! You're right, people should think before they speak. If they did there would be a lot less talking going on lol
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by deslyn615 20th April 2010, 1:51 pm

That reminds me of my mother in law. She had 7 children, none of which were breastfed. As soon as my daughter turned 6 months she starting inquiring about my weaning her. Once my daughter turned one she started trying to convince me that my milk had all of a sudden turned toxic to my daughter. Even so, I breastfed my duaghter until she was 3 and 1/2. She was the kind of baby that needed that closeness. My infant on the other hand is already weaning herself. I am learning to trust in myself because I, not my mother in law or anyone else, knows what is best for each one of my children.

deslyn615

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 21st April 2010, 12:45 am

I breast fed my daughter only for a year (my boobs went on strike) and my mom would say things like "she has teeth now so it is time to ween her". So annoying. She is my baby and it is MY responsibility to make sure she starts her life out healthy.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by rjdorsey 22nd April 2010, 11:45 am

I have 2 little ones, my 2 yr old son has crazy food allergies and I only breast fed him the first month. My daughter is 7 week and we're still going strong, after struggling with him I want to 'protect' her as long as I can. So far only 1 allergy has become evident in her and it's easy enough to avoid dairy since that's an allergy for him. I will continue to nurse as long as she wants.
rjdorsey
rjdorsey

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 23rd April 2010, 2:16 am

I get asked that alot...and hell....I've asked myself too!!! I think if you do it for 3 months(which I did with my first 2) that's fine. Ive been given the affraid face when I admitted that I stopped with them after a few months. Their both super intelligent super healthy girls...not obese or unhealthy or other things that people say exclusively breastfed babies are. While my 7 month old is just as intelligent as they were and she's also 20 lbs loves table food & breastmilk....soooo to each her own.
My mom fed us PET milk and Karo syrup in the 80"s and I'm not sickly or obese. scratch
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynappy 27th April 2010, 11:43 am

I am getting the same thing. My sister, trying to imitate a grown up version of my son, will say in a deep voice "Gimme some milk". She does not want me to breastfeed my son in public. I have a breastfeeding blanket that I use and really no one can tell what I am doing, but even if they could, it does not bother me. My mom even went on a tirade one day on the phone about how she thinks it is "crazy" to continue to breast feed my son. I told her that while she can have her opinions, it does not change what I will do for my son. I will breastfeed him until he does not want it anymore or until I get tired of it and not a minute sooner. I am lucky that my husband agrees with me.
naturallynappy
naturallynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 27th April 2010, 9:29 pm

Good for you naturallynappy! Every parent should do what he or she feels is best for there children as long as it doesn't harm that child. I can't stand when people share there unwanted opinions lol
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 8th May 2010, 6:37 am

Just ignore them Afrikanlatina. Or if they keep harping on tell them that your doctor recommended that you do it as long as possible for health benefits.

Saying this is not too far from the truth. The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and then with food for up to 2 years. Here is a link to their site:
WHO.

In Bible times and in many countries today, it is normal to breastfeed to 3 or 4 years of age. It's only in the West where there is this disgust. Breasts are seen as sexual objects rather than for nuturing babies. It's sad.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 11th May 2010, 11:12 am

I totally understand how you feel. And people are such hypocrites when it comes to b'feeding. With my oldest I only b'fed for about 3 weeks due to not educating myself before hand. People were calling saying: R U sure you're done? Try just a little longer. You know it's better for her than the formula.
Then with my youngest I b'fed for almost 10months. When she got her first tooth at 6months, everyone said: It's time now girl. Don't you think she's too big for the boobs.
And I would always tell them "You give your kids soda and I give mine breastmilk. It's just our personal preference". Or I would mention how it's in the bible and they would shut-up real quick.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 11th May 2010, 6:37 pm

naturallyjackie, that is hilarious-you give your kids soda!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by knatural 21st May 2010, 1:15 pm

Don't worry about what the family is saying about breastfeeding for that long. I breastfed my daughter until she was six months old. It was challenging but she never had any problems healthwise. Only you know what is best for you and your child!
knatural
knatural

http://knaturalandknit.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DJsNatural 22nd May 2010, 2:26 pm

I'm so glad I found this topic as I am currently breastfeeding my 3mo old while reading all the posted replies. I am in total agreement with everyone. I plan on bfeeding for at least 6 mo I just want him to get as much nutrition as possible. And as long as my hubby supports me (even if he didnt) This is our decision as parents no one else. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

DJsNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 16th June 2010, 10:54 pm

I breastfed my little one until she was 18 months old. Of course everyone told me to stop a long time before even the doctor was like it's your choice. They just wanted me to do it until 6 months. Hubby had his moments when he wanted her out the way, but I'll admit I miss the moments when she let me cuddle up and be close. But it was also a goal I set for myself. I had to supplement on an off throughout the process, but I had health issues of my own. Now it's a quick "eat, eat, tank you, bye, bye"
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Red53 24th June 2010, 11:59 am

It is truly ignorance of not knowing all of the benefits of nursing. I nursed both of my children for 14 months and heard the same thing from my family. I basically ignored them but when it got too bad I would get rude and tell them to go read a book and educate themselves. Trust your instincts and try to ignore them.
Red53
Red53

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 24th June 2010, 10:51 pm

That's great advice Red. I want to believe that people aren't ignorant because of their own free will but because the information has been hidden from them. lol I know that isn't the case though. Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by kuumba60 7th July 2010, 1:41 pm

I breastfed my little guy until he was 18 months - by then we were down to once a day. I got a little push back from random folks but I chalked it up to mis-education. My grandmother told me that Drs used to actually tell women that their breast milk "went bad" after 6 months!
And back then what ever the doctor says is exactly what you do.

I did have one friend who had a stranger (a stranger) at a cafe ask her in a very condescending tone when she was going to stop breastfeeding (her daughter was 6 months at the time and tall for her age). My friends reply: "Why, are you thirsty?" ha!
kuumba60
kuumba60

http://www.simpletruths.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by deslyn615 28th September 2010, 1:43 am

kuumba60 wrote:I breastfed my little guy until he was 18 months - by then we were down to once a day. I got a little push back from random folks but I chalked it up to mis-education. My grandmother told me that Drs used to actually tell women that their breast milk "went bad" after 6 months!
And back then what ever the doctor says is exactly what you do.

I did have one friend who had a stranger (a stranger) at a cafe ask her in a very condescending tone when she was going to stop breastfeeding (her daughter was 6 months at the time and tall for her age). My friends reply: "Why, are you thirsty?" ha!

That is too funny. I think I am going to use that one.

deslyn615

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down