CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming?

+23
CoilyBird
purplec18
missbugg21
CurlsGalore
DivinelyDesigned
letha
bevyboo628
freckledmom4
MsVera
Bevy
tiashaunteƩ
komirra
rs61966
Pinkpearls
Heart2Worship
ashollan
Treece
naturallyme09
CurlCita
curlygirl13
Janique
Butterfly126
laleepop14
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming? Empty Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming?

Post by laleepop14 1st April 2010, 12:29 pm

I am currently going into my 9th month of transitioning and have been finding it extremely hard and time consuming to detangle my hair. I would love to hear how everyone detangles and what process has been best for you guys? I havent tried the braid thing yet, but my hair is such an awkward length now and it isnt quite easy to make just 4 braids and wash. I am completely natural from like where the top of my ear is to the nape of my neck, but the middle and top portions of my hair still have alot of relaxed ends which also makes detangling sort of hard. I also have about 2 or 3 different kinds of texture on my head. I am a product junky and have found some amazing conditioners, maybe I am not using enough??Does my hair need to be drenched with conditioner??

Any suggestions, comments, advice would be greatly appreciated...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming? Empty Re: Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming?

Post by Butterfly126 1st April 2010, 12:52 pm

I have only been transitioning for about 3 months and I have the same problem. Whether its a DC or just a conditioner, I can never seem to successfully detangle my hair. Dividing my hair into smaller sections only helps a little bit. I find it easier to detangle dry hair and less hair comes out. But when its wet I just finger comb it a little.
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming? Empty Re: Anybody else find detangling very very time consuming?

Post by Janique 1st April 2010, 1:12 pm

I wash and detangle my hair in about 6 braids. This method really helped with detangling, because it used to be so difficult to detangle my hair.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by curlygirl13 1st April 2010, 2:33 pm

I'm in my sixth month of transitioning. I only detangle my hair when its wet. I divide my hair into four sections. I also use herbal essences hello hydration and detangle with a wide tooth comb from tip to root . Hello hydration has plenty of slip and my hair slides through the comb like butter. Hope this helps :-)

curlygirl13

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlCita 1st April 2010, 3:52 pm

I am almost 8 months in and detangling is easy. Here's what I do.....make sur i have no big knot while dry with my fingers. separate into 4 sections and clip. wet and drench with he totally twisted section by section. while letting the shower run on my heard detangle with wide comb then deman brush then reclip... takes like 5 min. my hair is a little longer than shoulder length
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 1st April 2010, 4:14 pm

Yes! I feel your pain! I have the same problem. I've been transitioning for about 6 1/2 months and my hair is always a tangled mess after washing and I spend hours detangling. I had bra strap length hair and I recently cut off about 4-5 inches (I was advised that it would make detangling easier after a traumatic experience with matting after braids) but its still difficult to detangle. I was trying to use natural shampoos and conditoners but honestly for me I think they may have made matters worst (Aubrey Organics, Trader Joes) leaving my hair sooo dry. I will start back using Kera Care detangling shampoo/conditioner or Creme of Nature for now while transitioning. I will also try the braiding method.
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 2nd April 2010, 12:41 am

I find it rather simple to detangle because I use a wide tooth shower comb, and do it while it's conditioned. Start at the tips, of course, and just work your way up. The middle of my head has coils and is thicker so it's a bit harder there . I just take my time. After detangling I make sure to not rinse my hair in a way that will recreate knots. I rinse my hair as if it will fall out if I touched it too much. By not rubbing your hair and piling hair on top of each other it helps a bit. I wish you luck as you work around this dilemma! Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by ashollan 2nd April 2010, 10:11 am

I am about 6 months post and I finger detangle on dry hair and put into 4 sections and then get into the shower and wash/cowash each section seperately and detangle each section seperately with conditioner.
ashollan
ashollan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 2nd April 2010, 11:38 am

I used to have that issue as well, but I found that the key is to find a conditioner that works well for you (one that will give you A LOT of SLIP). I am currently using Aussie Moist and it is a MUST HAVE!!!

What I do is just let my hair hang under the water until it is drenched. I don't put my hands in it all until it is soaking wet. I then apply conditioner in this order: the front and round the temples, the back, and then the crown massaging the conditioner into my hair as I apply. I am VERY genreous when it comes to the application of conditioner. Don't be afraid to apply more where needed, esp. if you have areas that need a little more TLC than others (my problem area is the back, but it's getting better everyday!).

Once my hair is saturated with condition. I then part my hair into sections with my hands and then detangle each section with a wide tooth comb. When detangling I start at the ends and work my way up to the roots. You may even have to seperate the sections into smaller sections for an effective detangling process.

When I rinse, I just let my hair hand under the water (cold water--you can start with warm water and gradually change to cold water). I've noticed that putting my hands in it while rinsing causes my hair to get tangled again. I do the same when DCing. I always detangle with Aussie Moist (or whatever you use to Co-wash) before I DC. It makes it easier for me to do. HTH!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 2nd April 2010, 2:27 pm

I am five months post and working with long, THICK, hair. I've learned that, for me, using a good conditioner is the key to detangling with ease. Sometimes, before I shampoo, I apply coconut oil to my scalp and new growth and sit under the dryer for 20 minutes...this softens my new growth. I also use Pureology hydrate conditioner...this conditioner detangles like nothing else. I always detangle my hair while it's soaking with conditioner, under the shower stream. I part my hair into four sections, apply conditioner and detangle with a wide tooth comb or Denman brush.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by rs61966 2nd April 2010, 4:44 pm

I also use to have this problem until I started to detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb. When I shampoo, I don't rub the ends like I use to and now I just massage it in on my scalp and while rinsing it out, it just runs down to the ends of my hair; as less munipulation as possible. I put the conditioner in and comb it through without tangles.
rs61966
rs61966

Back to top Go down

Post by komirra 3rd April 2010, 7:01 pm

i tottally feel your pain. i washed my hair today and it seemed like it took forever. i have bra strp length relaxed hair and im 6 months post. i have found that using hair polisher on my wet hair adds slip like no conditioner can. the polisher makes detangling go way faster, but for me is still kinda slow cuz my hair so long ang thick...

but i perfer not to detatangle my hair with a bunch of conditioner in the shower just because i dont like to get all of that conditioner on my body...lol... but i wud use a cheap conditioner, like VO5 moisture milks, to detangle ur hair with if thts what u like to do.

but the polisher, deman brush, and shower comb have really saved my life when it comes to detangling
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 5th April 2010, 4:12 pm

Thanks ladies!!! I am going to try the braid method, but my hair is sooo thick I think I might just have to give my hair some TLC and set aside hair days for my hair. It is also very hard because of the completely natural part in the back and the relaxed ends in the front of my head. I am going to try all of these things. I also need to invest in a denman brush, Ive heard so many great things about it and cant believe its not part of my product/styling tool collection..LOL

I have found a few great conditioners that provide amazing slip, but maybe I am not using enough..I also think my hair will benefit from one of those overnight treatments as well and am going to try those. If I show yall a picture of my product collection yall would think I was crazy..But I figure this is my trial and error period and better to find and test what works for me now then waste my money when I am fully natural.

Thanks again ladies for the advice and I will keep yall updated!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 5th April 2010, 4:44 pm

I used to HATE detangling with a passion. Then I started washing in sections and life is great. I haven't had to have a session in weeks. I have a tangle here and there but not my entire head - not anymore. I shampoo and condition in two sections, I part my hair straight down the middle.

I also bought a denman-like brush and modified it by removing everything other row and it has helped tremendously.

HE HH has given me the slip that I was started to lose from Suave. The longer my hair got, the less Suave worked. I just purchase HE LTR and I am hoping that works just as well as HE HH.
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bevy 5th April 2010, 5:15 pm

I used to have the same problem. I am 8 months post and recently figured out what works best for me. Here's what I do:

1. Pre-poo with heat for about 15-20 mins. I usually use Olive Oil and cheap conditioner.

2. Section hair in four sections. I don't braid because my hair is at an awkward length too. I just use clips. Wash with each section.

3. T-Shirt dry and then apply deep conditioners. Currently using Jessicurl and Oyin Honey Hemp. Both are great. Deep condition with heat for at least 30 mins.

4. Finally AFTER the DC I detangle each section in shower under running water with a wide tooth comb. By this point my hair is so soft detangling is a breeze.

It sounds kinda long but it has worked wonders for me. I was seeing a lot of breakage before I started this routine. Now I don't seeing any "little" hairs. Just normal shedding.

HTH
Bevy
Bevy

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 13th April 2010, 11:44 am

Thanks again you guys!!! It looks like people get better results when they include the shower in their routine somewhere. I have yet to do that because most of the time I cant (2 year old little girl). Like I said earlier I am going to have to start dedicating a day specifically to my hair when its detangling time. I have a lot of the products mentioned (thanks to my PJ addiction) so I will definitely start doing the sectioning thing and also I will try the shower method. I always co-wash my hair in the kitchen sink and hate it, so maybe thats another reason why so many are trying the shower method. I need one of those sinks that the salons have!!! LOL.

Thanks again ladies, I will update with my results when its time to try it out.
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 21st April 2010, 5:04 pm

ITA with Heart2Worship!

Aussie Moist gives me the best slip ever for finger detangling in the shower. Only every other wash day do I use the wide-tooth comb to get out more shed-hairs that I don't get by finger detangling.
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 22nd April 2010, 11:41 pm

I am struggling with detangling as well. I tried HEHH today, but it was still frustrating. Things got better once I added more water as I detangled. In the end, I had to add more HEHH as a leave-in before I could style. Does anyone else do this? Will it cause build up with the other products that I use?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 27th April 2010, 11:39 am

For me what works best is to separate my hair into 4 sections. i shampoo (giovanni tea tree) each section one by one rinse it and immediately put in some aussie moist clip it up and move to the next section.That way by the time all the sections are shampooed and have conditioner in them its been sitting there for a couple minutes. i then go to the first section i put conditioner in let some water run down it and use my wide tooth comb & its a breeze from there.
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 27th April 2010, 8:12 pm

Everything was going good for me until I did a Henna Treatment this weekend and my detangling process was terrible.. I got knots and lets just say I thought I would have to cut some hair but I didn't.. I used Tresseeme and hair one for my Co-wash and that really helps.. Treasure Locks has a detangler for women who take their braid and locks out and their hair gets matted and tangled and this stuff I heard the combs slips right thru it.. I plan to order that also.. May will make 5 months for me.. Good Luck.. and don't get discouraged.

I just orderd Knot today from CurlMart just haven't used it yet... I also head that was good detangler also but I also plan to try some of the methods that these other ladies suggested.
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 28th April 2010, 11:35 am

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! I washed and dc'd last night. I sectioned my hair into 4 parts while it was dry and fingercomed the big tangles out. Then I washed each section with Cream of Nature and conditioned with HEHH letting the water run down on each section as I combed through (I think I was underestimating how much water helped before). I deep conditioned with ORS Replenishing, HE Hydralicious, 1 tbs. honey and 1 1/2 tbs. of EVOO. I did a final rinse with cold water-and WOW! Combing was a breeze Smile!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 29th April 2010, 11:33 am

Im glad that all these ladies chimed in. I went out and bought a few bottles of Aussie moist and am going to use it this weekend. I am going to try all of this ideas/suggestions and report back. I am glad that others have found this post useful also!!! Please keep sharing, I do still check up...

Thanks ladies!!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by DivinelyDesigned 29th April 2010, 3:29 pm

Yes detangling is a nightmare...especially when you have alot of relaxed ends cause they stick to each other and makes it just that much harder. All of the suggestions above are great.
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 30th April 2010, 10:45 am

DivinelyDesigned wrote:Yes detangling is a nightmare...especially when you have alot of relaxed ends cause they stick to each other and makes it just that much harder. All of the suggestions above are great.

Yes there are some great ideas regarding detangling on here!!! I am definitely making a note of all of these and am going to try them to see which one works best for me... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 3rd May 2010, 10:07 pm

Detangling can be a beast at times. My hair is about collarbone length stretched, and is pretty thick. What works for me is sectioning my hair into quads. I apply shampoo to one section and then apply my conditioner to the same section without rinsing out the shampoo. Then I finger comb that section enough to get my Denman through it. I found this method called buffering on youtube on Kimmaytube's channel. Detangling is a breeze now for me. I also like the cleansing and conditioning in one step. Give that a try and see what you come with. Hope this helps!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next