CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My kinky twist smells weird

4 posters

Go down

My kinky twist smells weird Empty My kinky twist smells weird

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 6:00 pm

So okay I decided to do some kinky twist in my hair because I wanted to give it a break. When applying the kinky twist to my hair, I spritzed my glycerin mix which consist of 3 ounces of water, 2 ounce of aloe vera gel, 2 ounces of glycerin, and 1 1/2 tsp of silk peptide. I added my shea butter mix to seal in the moisture and proceeded to braid. From then on I spritzed with braid sheen spray with tea tree & peppermint oil daily. I also add coconut oil to my scalp to help with any dryness. 2 days ago while massaging my scalp, I took a sniff of my hands. Oddly it smelled a little like baby vomit, not as terrible as that but it had a funk. I then remember when I first went natural that one of my shea mixes made my hair smell like ultimate vomit. When I applied it to my hair, my cousin told me to go wash my hair because it smelled awful. Now months later after experiencing something similar, I'm trying to figure out whats going on. I'm wondering if it may be something wrong with my shea mix. I changed the type of shea butter I used prior, and I changed the mix so I'm a little confused. Am I not suppose to use shea butter before applying extentions? or could it be the coconut oil. Does anyone know of different types of extension hair care? I heard when having extensions we should not wash our hair because the extensions are too heavy and could cause breakage? Do you think this is true? I'm confused now.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

My kinky twist smells weird Empty Re: My kinky twist smells weird

Post by LadyMika 30th March 2010, 6:10 pm

There are ways to wash your hair while wearing extensions. In fact, your extensions will last you LONGER if you DO wash your scalp and hair. The three times I've worn braids, I've washed them and never had breakage (I'll share how I washed them). Yes, they will get heavy because of the WATER, but not heavy enough to break your hair clean off. I've never experienced it, and if HAS happened I've never seen it.

To wash your extensions, you can A) Use castile soap diluted with water and oils, or B) dilute your current shampoo with water and baking soda in a spray bottle. Focus on the scalp by massaging with your fingertips. You can part your extensions into two or four sections (I did two sections) to reach your scalp better. If the extensions get wet, wring them (gently) and squeeze them with a towel. From there you can spray with a leave-in of your choosing and oil your scalp. I did this every week when I wore my braids and not only did they look fresh, but my hair and scalp stayed clean.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 30th March 2010, 6:11 pm

chocolate-kinks, I wore braids for years after my big chop. I experienced that funky smell when I picked up some hair from a store on Flatbush Avenue in NYC. I washed my hair after 5 hours of braiding weeks later and then it became funky and smelled like mold and mildew. No matter what I did to it after I washed it (sat under dryer, added fragrance), that was the smell of mold and mildew. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My braider told me that the hair was no good and to use the one she had and when I did for the next braid, no smell at all. I guess the hair in the store may have not been placed in a well ventilated area and it developed mold and mildew.

Here is tip: When you plan to remove your braids, get a cheap bottle of conditioner (look out for them on sale like Suave or VO5) and saturate your entire head from the roots to about where your hair ends in the braids. Leave on the conditioner for about 20 minutes massaging your head gently. When you begin to remove your braids, your hair should slide out with ease causing less damage and breakage. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by envizionj on 30th March 2010, 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 6:18 pm

LadyMika wrote:There are ways to wash your hair while wearing extensions. In fact, your extensions will last you LONGER if you DO wash your scalp and hair. The three times I've worn braids, I've washed them and never had breakage (I'll share how I washed them). Yes, they will get heavy because of the WATER, but not heavy enough to break your hair clean off. I've never experienced it, and if HAS happened I've never seen it.

To wash your extensions, you can A) Use castile soap diluted with water and oils, or B) dilute your current shampoo with water and baking soda in a spray bottle. Focus on the scalp by massaging with your fingertips. You can part your extensions into two or four sections (I did two sections) to reach your scalp better. If the extensions get wet, wring them (gently) and squeeze them with a towel. From there you can spray with a leave-in of your choosing and oil your scalp. I did this every week when I wore my braids and not only did they look fresh, but my hair and scalp stayed clean.

Thanks Smile. The only thing is that I have cornrows in the front of my hair with kinky twist in the front. I'll post a pic. Thanks for the tip hun.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 6:21 pm

envizionj wrote:chocolate-kinks, I experienced that when I picked up some hair from a store on Flatbush Avenue in NYC. I washed may hair and then it became funky and smelled like mold and mildew. No matter what I did to it after I washed it (sat under dryer, added fragrance), that was the smell of mold and mildew. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My braider told me that the hair was no good and to use the one she had and when I did for the next braid, no smell at all. I guess the hair in the store may have not been placed in a well ventilated area and it developed mold and mildew.

Here is tip: When you plan to remove your braids, get a cheap bottle of conditioner (look out for them on sale like Suave or VO5 and saturate your entire head from the roots to about where your hair ends in the braid. Leave on the conditioner for about 20 minutes massaging your head gently. When you begin to remove your braids, your hair should slide out with ease causing less damage and breakage. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Good point. I got the hair from 28 street lol (dont know if you know about over there). Thanks for the tip hun, I lovee V05, They're good and cheap.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 30th March 2010, 6:26 pm

envizionj wrote:chocolate-kinks, I wore braids for years after my big chop. I experienced that funky smell when I picked up some hair from a store on Flatbush Avenue in NYC. I washed may hair after 5 hours of braiding weeks later and then it became funky and smelled like mold and mildew. No matter what I did to it after I washed it (sat under dryer, added fragrance), that was the smell of mold and mildew. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My braider told me that the hair was no good and to use the one she had and when I did for the next braid, no smell at all. I guess the hair in the store may have not been placed in a well ventilated area and it developed mold and mildew.

Here is tip: When you plan to remove your braids, get a cheap bottle of conditioner (look out for them on sale like Suave or VO5) and saturate your entire head from the roots to about where your hair ends in the braids. Leave on the conditioner for about 20 minutes massaging your head gently. When you begin to remove your braids, your hair should slide out with ease causing less damage and breakage. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ewww. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] See, that's why I use YARN instead of hair. BSS don't always properly store their products, let alone REPLACE THEM AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME. Scary stuff...
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 30th March 2010, 6:27 pm

chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:There are ways to wash your hair while wearing extensions. In fact, your extensions will last you LONGER if you DO wash your scalp and hair. The three times I've worn braids, I've washed them and never had breakage (I'll share how I washed them). Yes, they will get heavy because of the WATER, but not heavy enough to break your hair clean off. I've never experienced it, and if HAS happened I've never seen it.

Thanks Smile. The only thing is that I have cornrows in the front of my hair with kinky twist in the front. I'll post a pic. Thanks for the tip hun.

You can still wash cornrows. Let the soap sit for a bit, then rinse really well. They WILL get clean. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 6:47 pm

LadyMika wrote:
envizionj wrote:chocolate-kinks, I wore braids for years after my big chop. I experienced that funky smell when I picked up some hair from a store on Flatbush Avenue in NYC. I washed may hair after 5 hours of braiding weeks later and then it became funky and smelled like mold and mildew. No matter what I did to it after I washed it (sat under dryer, added fragrance), that was the smell of mold and mildew. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My braider told me that the hair was no good and to use the one she had and when I did for the next braid, no smell at all. I guess the hair in the store may have not been placed in a well ventilated area and it developed mold and mildew.

Ewww. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] See, that's why I use YARN instead of hair. BSS don't always properly store their products, let alone REPLACE THEM AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME. Scary stuff...

I heard yarn can lock you hair and suck out the nutrients depending on the yarn. You also have to be careful with yarn too because yarn can be dropped on the ground or be left for long periods of time also.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 6:48 pm

LadyMika wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

You can still wash cornrows. Let the soap sit for a bit, then rinse really well. They WILL get clean. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ok Thanks Wink
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 6:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][quote][img][/img]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 30th March 2010, 7:07 pm

chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

I heard yarn can lock you hair and suck out the nutrients depending on the yarn. You also have to be careful with yarn too because yarn can be dropped on the ground or be left for long periods of time also.

Wool will definitely loc in the hair, so I use acrylic or cotton. Haven't had any locing with either of them. The colors also don't bleed from acrylic or cotton. (But any braided or twisted style will loc if left in long enough--I go about a month before taking them down.) When I cut it the yarn into the strands I want, I wash them in the sink with castile soap. And I know the owner of the shop I get the yarn from--I get first pick of the inventory when it comes in. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I gots the bases covered! LOL
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 7:10 pm

LadyMika wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

Wool will definitely loc in the hair, so I use acrylic or cotton. Haven't had any locing with either of them. The colors also don't bleed from acrylic or cotton. (But any braided or twisted style will loc if left in long enough--I go about a month before taking them down.) When I cut it the yarn into the strands I want, I wash them in the sink with castile soap. And I know the owner of the shop I get the yarn from--I get first pick of the inventory when it comes in. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I gots the bases covered! LOL

Unfortunately I don't know any of the owners in my yarn shop so your lucky. Btw smart Idea in washing them.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 7:11 pm

LadyMika wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

I posted the pic for you to see.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 30th March 2010, 7:27 pm

chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

The style is pretty cute (I've always loved that half-cornrowed look. Very stylish!). That, you can definitely wash with no trouble. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 30th March 2010, 8:32 pm

LadyMika wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

The style is pretty cute (I've always loved that half-cornrowed look. Very stylish!). That, you can definitely wash with no trouble. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks, I did them myself
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 30th March 2010, 8:58 pm

Hi LadyMika~

Interesting topic...

I'm wearing braids and I've noticed when I shampoo (which I do with conditioner in an applicator bottle like you apply color...masage my scalp and rinse in the shower) my natural hair comes loose from my braids. Not from the roots, but within the extensions. You have to be up close on me to tell, but I'm concern about the exposed hair. I seal what's out or showing with EVOO...because I don't want to use anything heavy which I thing would cause build up.

Is this typical or the norm?
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 30th March 2010, 9:37 pm

@KinkyNappyHappy: That's typical. Our hair swells when wet, so when we wash our braids they slip out. Especially if the section of your hair is THICKER than the strands of hair used in the braid itself--you're guaranteed to see your hair slip out of the braid if this is the case. Either way, sealing the ends is a good way to keep them protected in the meantime. If you want to blend your hair back into the braids, you can unravel and braid it back in (if you've done it yourself/can do it yourself), or use a crochet hook. OR, clip the ends off (especially if there's a lot of them where hair has slipped out). Hope this helps. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down