CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Butter and Eczema

5 posters

Go down

Shea Butter and Eczema Empty Shea Butter and Eczema

Post by Ms.Fenty 24th March 2010, 9:15 pm

Okay so I have read a lot about shea butter and skin care (body not face). So I decided that when I make my shea butter whip for my hair I will also keep my skin in mind. So I mixed shea butter, coconut, hemp, lavender, and tangerince oil (just for smell, I know its kinda random lol) and later I added aloe vera gel. Anyway I have had mild eczema since I was a kid, I say mild because as long as I use a good lotion (Curel), I have zero outbreaks. Anyway I've learned a lot about product ingredients since starting my natural journey and I found that Curel has PG, and fragrance in it. So thats why I decided to give up the Curel and use a shea butter whip. Such disappointment: I have used it for about two and a half weeks, my skin looks and feels beautiful to the touch, but its still DRY. You know that tight feeling your skin has when you don't lotion, thats how my skin feels with the Shea butter mix. My eczema started to flare up a little before I started to use it because when my Curel finished I used random lotions that were laying around the house until my shipment of shea butter arrived. I don't want to give it up, because it really does make my skin look good and feel soft (how is it possible to have soft and dry skin?), so do any of you ladies use a natural lotion? or maybe my mix ingredients are messing it up?

PS: It works really well on my hair, but I also use a hair moisturizer underneath....
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Shea Butter and Eczema Empty Re: Shea Butter and Eczema

Post by CurlyCoilz 24th March 2010, 11:07 pm

Hey Ms Fenty, I too suffer from mil eczema. I have been reading a lot about shea butter and it's usses on our skin. I think it is the mix that you are using. I just started using unrefined shea butter on mine(it flares up when I go out in the sun which is fun since I live in Florida). It seems to be working pretty well. Try using just the plain ole shea butter and see how that works.

Good luck ; ~ }
CurlyCoilz
CurlyCoilz

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 25th March 2010, 8:10 am

yes ive heard unrefined shea butter works well for those who suffer from excema. but you have to be careful to make sure its 100% pure unrefined shea butter and not a mixture, because the mixes have exceess ingredients that negate the effectiveness of the pure shea butter.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 25th March 2010, 4:51 pm

My roommate has excema and I recently introduced her to 100% pure unrefined shea butter and she loves it. She says her skin is much softer and its not as dry. I would say forego all the extra stuff and just use the raw original form and see if that helps.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Congolaise 25th March 2010, 9:14 pm

Hello there. I have a 3.5 years old and a 8 months old with aczema. My poor 3.5 years old was the experimental baby! When I first started to use shea butter on her, I whipped it with other products because I wanted something softer. I soon realized that the mixtures made the aczema worst. As others have stated, try using it alone or with one other oil. I only use shea butter (sometimes mixed with sweet almond oil) and castile soap on both of my daugthers are their aczema has been under control. Good luck.
Congolaise
Congolaise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 25th March 2010, 9:29 pm

It does make a lot of sense to just use the plain shea butter, its just that almost all of the other oils I added are supposed to be good for dry skin too and I wanted to kill two birds with one stone (hair and body). But I will definitely try the plain shea butter next time I get some.
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down