CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retaining Moisture

5 posters

Go down

Retaining Moisture Empty Retaining Moisture

Post by Heart2Worship 24th March 2010, 1:47 pm

Hey Ladies!

Does anyone find it difficult to retain moisture where your new growth is concerned? I know that with natural hair, water is your best friend but on the flip side water and relaxed ends are enemies! How are you all dealing with keeping your roots moisturized and still maintain your relaxed ends? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Retaining Moisture Empty Re: Retaining Moisture

Post by Ekaette 24th March 2010, 3:20 pm

I deep condition at least once a week (sometimes twice). I also cowash and usually don't shampoo more than once weekly
My NG just feels and behaves so much better when it's well moisturized
I also use a creamy leave in bc spray/watery leave ins leave my hair drier.
Also don't forget to seal with some kind of oil to help retain your moisture
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th March 2010, 3:56 pm

@Ekaette--Ooooo 15 mths and 3 wks!!! Kudos to you! I am frustrated with 6 mths! LOL! How have you done it this long? What are you using for a DC?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 25th March 2010, 1:56 pm

I don't DC has often as I should. Probably bc I'm too lazy but I do baggy and prepoo before each wash. My last wash consist of: shampooing with diluted poo for dry itchy scalp
clarified with baking soda and conditioner
moisurizing with Culrs' Curl Souffle and sealed with castor oil.

I totally forgot to use my creamy leave-in by Giovanni yet my hair isn't complaining. I have a nice sheen from the castor oil and my hair feels soft like baby hair.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 25th March 2010, 5:06 pm

I just started using castor oil and I so looking forward to great results! I have yet to find a poo that I like, still on the hunt.

@Hamptonfnst--how have you been maintaining with your long term transitioning? You are about 15-18 mths in, right? Or is that your goal?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 25th March 2010, 9:21 pm

Heart2Worship wrote:@Ekaette--Ooooo 15 mths and 3 wks!!! Kudos to you! I am frustrated with 6 mths! LOL! How have you done it this long? What are you using for a DC?

Honestly for me braids keep me out of my hair (and thus less frustrated)
When I'm out of the braids frequent DCs help keep my hair from drying out
Some good DC's I've used are Pantene R/N DC in the brown jar, Aussie 3 min in the purple bottle, Bedhead Moisture Maniac, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose, Matrix Biolage DC (on sale at Marshalls)
Honestly as long as it's a good DC and you're doing it at least weekly your hair should be fine
Ekaette
Ekaette

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 26th March 2010, 4:08 am

I transitioned for 18 mths wearing buns. It kept my demarcation line in tact = maintained the relaxed length for a longer period of time.
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 26th March 2010, 10:10 am

I have found that wearing braids makes the transition less frustrating. I had some braids done back in December up until the end of February and my hair grew alot during that time as well. I want to have some more done, but I have an event coming up at the end of April and I want to keep them in for about two months. In the meantime I'll keep co-washing, DCing, moisturizing, etc.

I think the whole frustrating thing about transitioning is trying to style my hair with such a busy schedule.

@Ekaette--how long do you plan to transition?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 26th March 2010, 11:18 am

Thanks for asking H2H. It's been going well. I've been going strong for 18 months and hope to wait until September on my 2yr. anniversary to BC but I may do it in June before the heat comes.
I don't fuss over my hair much and if I'm not rocking a twisted bantu knot out, it's still in the knots. Lol. My bf hates that style but at times I'm lazy and don't care.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 26th March 2010, 12:54 pm

Honey if I had that much new growth it would be a done deal! The only reason I have done the BC yet is b/c of my BF (he loves long hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) and I can care less about long hair at this point. I keep trying to tell him it's gonna grow back but he can't seem to wrap his mind around the idea of me having short hair.

I love length, but for the purpose of what I am doing I'd rather deal with the temporary short hair, because I look forward to the joys of the long term achievement of HEALTHY long locs. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 26th March 2010, 2:19 pm

My bf wants me to wait too and if I have to consult with him about when I should chop then I'm not certain myself. If I don't have the courage to do it in June, definitely in September. By then I should have achieved a length I'm more comfortable with than now.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 26th March 2010, 8:42 pm

Heart2Worship wrote:I have found that wearing braids makes the transition less frustrating. I had some braids done back in December up until the end of February and my hair grew alot during that time as well. I want to have some more done, but I have an event coming up at the end of April and I want to keep them in for about two months. In the meantime I'll keep co-washing, DCing, moisturizing, etc.

I think the whole frustrating thing about transitioning is trying to style my hair with such a busy schedule.

@Ekaette--how long do you plan to transition?

I WAS planning on 18 months but I actually BC'ed today (15 months, 3 weeks, 2 days) afro
Super excited!
Ekaette
Ekaette

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 29th March 2010, 10:13 am

@Ekaette--CONGRADULATIONS!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Was it a random BC or have you been thinking about it anyway?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by samwri07 1st April 2010, 5:52 am

When I first started my transition I would wash my hair weekly and get my ends trimmed twice a month (professionally, b/c i can't do that ). I have a bob so I always kept it in that style when I would got it cut. I kept my hair straightened so other than my close friends and family no on knew i was natural....unless it came up in conversation. If i didn't keep my hair trimmed, my ends would have look really jacked.

The only other style that i have tried in my transition phase is a sew in, which i just tried this past february lol. but it was still great to try!
samwri07
samwri07

Back to top Go down

Post by samwri07 1st April 2010, 5:03 pm

@HEART2WORSHIP~~~DO YOU HAVE PLANS TO BC??? IF SO WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO GO TO GET IT DONE??? DO YOU HAVE ANY RECCOMENDATIONS FOR SOMEONE WHO DOES IT?? IM FROM COLUMBIA ALSO AND I DONT KNOW ANY1 THAT I WOULD TRUST TO CUT MY HAIR THE WAY I WOULD WANT IT...

SIDEBAR (FYI IF YOU DONT KNOW ALREAD) THERE IS GOING TO BE A NATURAL HAIR SHOW IN ATL APRIL 10-11!!!! HERE IS THE WEBSITE IF U ARE INTERESTED http://www.naturalhair.org/2010_show/home.html
samwri07
samwri07

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 2nd April 2010, 11:14 am

@samwri07--Yes, I do plan to BC possibly in August. August will be 11 month of transitioning for me and I think that I will be comfortable with the length at that time.

As for who will do my BC I'm not sure yet. I've entertained the idea of doing it myself (which will more than likely be my final decision). If not, I will prbobaly go to my old stylist, Travis @ Kristyles on Bush River Rd. My mom does hair in Fayetteville so I may pay her a visit around that time.

I don't know of any natural hair stylist here in Columbia and I too am very particular about folks doing my hair, so I KNOW exactly where you are coming from!

Thanks for the info re: Hair Show. I actually didn't know about it. I went to the website but I didn't see any info on where it will be. Unless I overlooked it. Do you know where it will be held?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by samwri07 2nd April 2010, 6:07 pm

@heart2worship~~~omg i couldn't cut my own hair.....i would probably mess something up lol. i am going to get the front top of my hair cut to the lenght of the back so that it will all be one length. good luck on your bc in august

below is the info about the natural hair show if you are intersted

Show Location
Georgia International Convention Center
2000 Convention Center Concourse
College Park, GA 30337
Phone: (770) 997-3566
Fax: (770) 994-8559

SHOW APRIL 10-11, 2010
Exhibit Hall Opens 10am - 7pm

Get in touch with someone
General Information, Competitions, Seminars & Workshops
Mitzie Batchan