CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retaining moisture with a TWA

+6
*CurlyNikki*
sweetdrk1
Moni
NaturalNurse04
traveljunkie08
cinnamoncurl82
10 posters

Go down

Retaining moisture with a TWA Empty Retaining moisture with a TWA

Post by cinnamoncurl82 3rd November 2009, 10:13 pm

Hi all curly girls (and guys),

I have a few questions regarding retaining moisture and how to moisturize my twa. I'm not exactly sure what hair type I have, but I have very thick hair with visible corkscrew curls in the front and around my face, sort of large S shaped curls in the top/crown and curls that look like little O's in the back. I know it's a lot going on. Anyway, I BC'd on July 11th 2009 after transitioning for 8 months and I need help understanding when to seal and moisturize. I know it must/should be done everyday, but is it only when the hair is wet? I know once my hair has dried, if I touch it with anything like a butter or oil it just sits on the hair and becomes frizzy if I manipulate it when I put it on (like scrunching the product on my hair). Oh, I really want to like shea butter, but it just sits on my hair. I'm not sure if this is due to it being short or what.

Right now, I still do wash n go's because of the length. I use HE HH or Moisture Manic to cowash, then apply KC Knot Today and then the custard. I really love the custard it works really well. It just takes my hair FOREVER to dry. If I do my hair at 6am it's only 90% dry by 5pm if I don't sit under the dryer. I don't like the dryer because I seem to get a lot of shrinkage if I stay under there. I detangle and do a DC with Jessicurl weekly DC every Saturday. I try to make my wash n go's last all week (since it's getting cooler here in Atlanta), by spraying with either plain water or a mix of water and conditioner in the a.m.'s then using my metal pick to lift at the roots for volume. I want big hair (like most of us, right :~). Oh and I sleep on a satin pillowcase every night and if I'm lounging on the sofa.

I just need help figuring out if I should be sealing and moisturizing when my hair is wet or dry. And what to do with it in the morning when it's all smashed and feels dry.

Thanks curlies!!,
Alexis aka cinnamoncurls82
cinnamoncurl82
cinnamoncurl82

Back to top Go down

Retaining moisture with a TWA Empty Re: Retaining moisture with a TWA

Post by traveljunkie08 3rd November 2009, 11:20 pm

I'm having a similar issue. I did the BC 3 weeks ago after transitioning for 10 months. If I put unrefined shea butter or Afroveda's Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream on my hair when it's dry, the product just sits on my hair. If I touch my hair, I can feel the "greasiness" of the product. But if I don't use anything, my hair is so dry.

This week, I've been using the Afroveda SunSilk Citrus Hair Oil, and I've been having better results with that. So far it's helped keep my hair soft, shiny and feeling moisturized (although I don't think oils are technically considered moisturizers).

Maybe you can try sealing and moisturizing before applying the KCCC and see how that works? Usually after I apply a leave-in, I apply an oil and/or a cream-based moisturizer, then the styling product. If you do that and re-wet with water in the morning, your hair may not feel as dry.

Let's see if anyone else weighs in with some advice!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurl82 3rd November 2009, 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info traveljunkie08.

So you apply the ASC hair oil to wet hair? Do you apply most of your products to wet or damp hair? I think that is going to be what works best for me until it grows out more.

I was thinking of trying the Qhemet Amla & Olive Heavy Cream that everyone raves about. I hear that this stuff is the the holy grail of moisturizers.

Hopefully we'll get more advice.

Thanks again!!
cinnamoncurl82
cinnamoncurl82

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 3rd November 2009, 11:53 pm

You're welcome. When I washed on Sunday, I put everything on my hair when it was wet, and I did it in sections (which I wasn't doing before). I think with my hair still being wet (as opposed to damp or dry), the products absorbed into my hair better. Maybe the wetness from the water kinda dilutes it so it's not greasy but still moisturized? Last night and this morning, I put a couple of drops of the oil in my hands, rubbed them together and then rubbed it over my hair in a downward motion. I had twists in my hair and I took them out today so we'll see how this method holds up now that my hair isn't twisted.

I was thinking about trying Qhemet as well. But the word "heavy" scares me. If just plain old shea butter sits on my hair, and wonder if that product will too. Maybe all try it when I use up the Afroveda.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNurse04 5th November 2009, 12:17 am

I agree with traveljunkie08. After I apply my leave in I apply castor oil to seal and then I will apply the styling product. I transitioned for 5 months before I did the BC in February of this year. It also helps for me to rake the products into my hair in sections. The only problem I have with this regimen is sometimes my styling products don't agree with the castor oil and I end up with the white dots in my hair, so I have to rinse everything out and start over again. HTH!
NaturalNurse04
NaturalNurse04

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 10th November 2009, 3:23 am

I BCed in February 2008. In order to retain moisture that winter, I would co-wash at night, then twist with my moisturizer (usually a qhemet product or carol's daughter healthy hair butter), then seal with coconut oil. In the morning I would undo the twists, tousle, and go. It worked for me because I didn't have to wet my hair in the morning to refresh it. I waited until the summer to do wash and go's.

I highly recommend qhemet products or something similar that's water based (as opposed to oil or butter based) because it'll sink in and moisturize your hair. Oils and butters are better at sealing.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 10th November 2009, 8:21 am

Good morning to my fellow TWA's. Check out MahoganyCurls on YouTube. I follow her method and I have no issues with moisture. AND I often forget to seal with oil, but water is amazing. @ Cgurl do you squeeze out the excess product before you add the next layer? A trick I learned from YouTube too!

Keep it curly!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 10th November 2009, 8:44 am

my hair at any length just didn't like wash&gos...it also didn't like heavier stylers. I've never tried KCCC, so I can't speak on that one...I've heard good things though!

Like many other longer hair naturals, when I stopped washngoing and started doing twist-outs (and other wet sets), my hair flourished. I retained more length, saw a reduction in single strand knots and splits, and could manage 2nd and 3rd day hair without re-wetting. Something about natural hair in a slightly stretched out state allows it to retain moisture better... try coconut oil, castor, or sweet almond oil in place of the shea to seal and see if that helps!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NickkiBCurly 10th November 2009, 11:51 am

Hello everyone...
My hair absolutely loves co-wash and gos....My hair loves water all together... So I keep my hair moist like I have a Jherri curl...lol...I also seal the moisture in my hair when I do my co-washes with olive oil and coconut oil mixed together before I put my eco-styler gel with olive oil..

and I can stretch out my wash and go for a few days by just spritzing water in my curlies and they bounce right back..
NickkiBCurly
NickkiBCurly

http://nickkibcurly@blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sewdope 10th November 2009, 12:07 pm

i do my moisturize and seal routine and night while i two strand twist my hair. when i'm done i sit with a plastic cap on for like 15 minutes. i'm not sure what it is with the plastic cap but it's done wonders for my moisture level. i seal with whipped shea mixed with coconut oil and moisturize with cantu shea leave-in. before manipulating a section of my hair, i always spray it with water. i cannot manipulate my hair without skipping that step. Smile
sewdope
sewdope

http://members.fotki.com/sewdope

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 11th November 2009, 1:02 am

sewdope wrote:i do my moisturize and seal routine and night while i two strand twist my hair. when i'm done i sit with a plastic cap on for like 15 minutes. i'm not sure what it is with the plastic cap but it's done wonders for my moisture level. i seal with whipped shea mixed with coconut oil and moisturize with cantu shea leave-in. before manipulating a section of my hair, i always spray it with water. i cannot manipulate my hair without skipping that step. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ummm so are u like my hair twin? It seems as if we have very similar hair textures AND the reggie is like THE SAME [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stoked! lol...but I recently did the BC like a month and 10 days ago...my hair was super dry, and I never really like wash n go s...but when I started doing two strand twist every night...the growth and the moisture level sky rocketed....I also twist my hair and seal with the shea butter and I MUST HAVE CANTU LEAVE IN & SHEA BUTTER....but my hair didnt like shea butter at first...but as u go you will find what works best for you....but water is your best friend....And i have recently found that I do like my hair wet while styling...
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by sewdope 11th November 2009, 11:28 am

Ummm so are u like my hair twin? It seems as if we have very similar hair textures AND the reggie is like THE SAME [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Stoked! lol...but I recently did the BC like a month and 10 days ago...my hair was super dry, and I never really like wash n go s...but when I started doing two strand twist every night...the growth and the moisture level sky rocketed....I also twist my hair and seal with the shea butter and I MUST HAVE CANTU LEAVE IN & SHEA BUTTER....but my hair didnt like shea butter at first...but as u go you will find what works best for you....but water is your best friend....And i have recently found that I do like my hair wet while styling...

lol omg... hey hair twin! at first i was doing wash n gos and coils outs. my hair was like 'um no boo'... once i switched to two strand twists my hair begain to thrive! it's amazing how much less breakage you get with a simple change to your routine.
sewdope
sewdope

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th November 2009, 12:38 pm

sewdope wrote:i do my moisturize and seal routine and night while i two strand twist my hair. when i'm done i sit with a plastic cap on for like 15 minutes. i'm not sure what it is with the plastic cap but it's done wonders for my moisture level. i seal with whipped shea mixed with coconut oil and moisturize with cantu shea leave-in. before manipulating a section of my hair, i always spray it with water. i cannot manipulate my hair without skipping that step. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Love your hair!!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th November 2009, 12:40 pm

sewdope wrote:

lol omg... hey hair twin! at first i was doing wash n gos and coils outs. my hair was like 'um no boo'... once i switched to two strand twists my hair begain to thrive! it's amazing how much less breakage you get with a simple change to your routine.

I love both of your curls! I can't wait for mine to get a bit longer...thanks for sharing!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th November 2009, 12:41 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:my hair at any length just didn't like wash&gos...it also didn't like heavier stylers. I've never tried KCCC, so I can't speak on that one...I've heard good things though!

Like many other longer hair naturals, when I stopped washngoing and started doing twist-outs (and other wet sets), my hair flourished. I retained more length, saw a reduction in single strand knots and splits, and could manage 2nd and 3rd day hair without re-wetting. Something about natural hair in a slightly stretched out state allows it to retain moisture better... try coconut oil, castor, or sweet almond oil in place of the shea to seal and see if that helps!

I wanna try either coconut or castor oil. I keep reading such good reviews, which is your fav?
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Retaining moisture with a TWA Empty thank you!!!

Post by sewdope 11th November 2009, 12:43 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Love your hair!!!

thank you so much! SmileSmile
sewdope
sewdope

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 11th November 2009, 2:42 pm

sewdope wrote:

Okayyyyy! Wash n go...my hair was like "I wash n No!" lol...but I agree...the two strand twist does protect my hair!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 11th November 2009, 2:44 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:
sewdope wrote:

I love both of your curls! I can't wait for mine to get a bit longer...thanks for sharing!

Thanks!!! It will grow out in no time!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by ojokt 16th November 2009, 12:11 am

Okayyyyy! Wash n go...my hair was like "I wash n No!"

Lol! Love your hair! Do you have a fotki or anything?

Last edited by ojokt on 18th November 2009, 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ojokt
ojokt

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 16th November 2009, 1:29 am

@ ojokt thanks!!!! I dont have a fotki...but I have a YouTube page my name on there is LethalPleazure..( the name is kind of weird I know)
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down