CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!!

+10
CrissyQ
Natural Time
Erica5417
NubieNatty
dajewel
Tamren
EmbracingNaturalMe
Lynnieluve
iri9109
Fly Lady
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!! Empty Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!!

Post by Fly Lady 13th March 2010, 4:21 am

As more women reach middle age, the urge or decision to go back to our roots [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] might occur. Overprocessing, hair loss, chemical sensitivity, or just plain sick and tired of the permed-relaxed hair ritual are some of the main reasons for taking the plunge.

Back in the days of the Angela Davis, Sonya Sanchez, Jean Pace and Kathleen Cleaver Afro's, the short cropped Afro, and the braids--our hair looked good natural, no matter what "grade" or "type" hair you had. Make no mistake, those hairstyles took time and patience. Not to mention just a few products to use like Afro Sheen, Ultra Sheen and Stay So Fro. Unfortunately, most of us gave in to the permed straight look and the rest is history. We started perming our daughter's hair as young as six years of age (before they entered school) and now they are young women--many who claim to have never seen their hair in it's natural state. It's impressive to read the posts written by the younger sisters who are determined to keep and care for their natural hair while sharing, teaching and inspiring others who want to do the same.

Let's hear from the sisters of a certain age who are considering taking the plunge, transitioning, or are proudly wearing their natural hair. What are you doing to your hair now that you weren't doing back in the days? What's your new routine? What natural hair styles are you sporting that are "age appropriate" (or shoud that even be an issue??? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Fly Lady
Fly Lady

http://savvyjewelryshopper.com

Back to top Go down

Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!! Empty Re: Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!!

Post by iri9109 13th March 2010, 6:17 pm

my mom is 50 and transitioning...right now she does roller sets with medium and small rollers mostly but im the one who co-washes her hair and moisturizes and seals it lol
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!! Empty Re: Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!!

Post by Lynnieluve 13th March 2010, 6:32 pm

My mom is 59 and she is transitioning now. She continues to do her roller sets but now I have to get her away from the hair grease.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by EmbracingNaturalMe 13th March 2010, 7:19 pm

I will be 50 in August. I have been transitioning for 3 months. I wear mostly twist and curl outs, bantu-knot outs and roller sets. I cowash at least once a week and DC once a week. My hair is short so with the exception of the roller sets, it looks like a curly TWA when I do these styles. In my community, I know of no one else my age that is natural or transitioning.
EmbracingNaturalMe
EmbracingNaturalMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 13th March 2010, 7:24 pm

My mom is also transitioning. (she's known to stretch relaxers) She's 52, and so far, she's been doing braid outs and bantu knots. She asks me lots of questions about her hair, and she loves co-washing. It's the hair grease that I'm trying to get her away from.
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 13th March 2010, 8:00 pm

my mom will be 56 in may n she is transitioning. she has been doing so since december of 2009.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 13th March 2010, 8:35 pm

i love it!! the older we get the softer it is! i love seeing older silver foxes with dreads and etc. all that wisdom growin all up in there!

a good tip for yall mom's who need to back away from the grease, yall know u cant tell old folks nothing, lol. but i can honestly say my pooka hair butter is the answer to those prayers. its the consistency of grease so its nice n soft and moisturizes perfectly. since i've gotten my order a few weeks ago, i've been greasing my scalp with it and i loooove it. u can switch it and they'll never know the difference! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Going Back To Natural Hair After Age 50!!!! Empty Addicted to Hair Grease--Try Pure Shea Butter

Post by Fly Lady 13th March 2010, 10:28 pm

Hair grease was a part of our hair care regiment and we became addicted to using it along with the perms (yikes!). If we had only known about the miracles of unrefined pure shea butter, olive oil, and coconut oil! Shea butter works wonders on dry and course hair. After washing and conditioning the hair, apply shea butter to each section before twisting, braiding or pinning. The amount will depend upon the hair type and if the hair is natural, gray or in transition. If the shea butter is a little too heavy, try blending it with olive oil or coconut oil. The results are fantastic! I also use it as a skin moisturizer. Share what you learn about natural hair care with your transitioning mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and other women of a certain age. The CurlyNikki website is a great resource.
Fly Lady
Fly Lady

http://savvyjewelryshopper.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 13th March 2010, 11:56 pm

My mom just did the big chop! She's 49. Love how many of our moms are going natural Smile
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Time 18th March 2010, 4:24 pm

I am a 52 year old natural. I did the BC December 2009 and have loved myself more every since. Once you reach a certain age (over 50) there is a new found freedom which includes hair. I had no desire to transition so I just took the plunge and cut off 7 inches of permed hair. Was I shocked? NO!!! Because I had 2 inches of beautiful graying glory!!!!

Natural Time

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 18th March 2010, 5:26 pm

Natural Time wrote:I am a 52 year old natural. I did the BC December 2009 and have loved myself more every since. Once you reach a certain age (over 50) there is a new found freedom which includes hair. I had no desire to transition so I just took the plunge and cut off 7 inches of permed hair. Was I shocked? NO!!! Because I had 2 inches of beautiful graying glory!!!!

Love your story. We would love to see some pictures
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Time 18th March 2010, 5:40 pm

Will post picturesvery soon. Learning to download them now.

Natural Time

Back to top Go down

Post by LaFemmeRouge 18th March 2010, 9:32 pm

Ditto wanting to see pictures. I am 11 years shy of 50, and I am transitioning with twist braids. My thing is that I have a lot of gray hair for my age, so I want to wear my TWA, but it will be laced with lots of gray. I am not sure if I want to color either.

LaFemmeRouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Time 19th March 2010, 1:58 pm

RoseBud wrote:
Natural Time wrote:I am a 52 year old natural. I did the BC December 2009 and have loved myself more every since. Once you reach a certain age (over 50) there is a new found freedom which includes hair. I had no desire to transition so I just took the plunge and cut off 7 inches of permed hair. Was I shocked? NO!!! Because I had 2 inches of beautiful graying glory!!!!

Love your story. We would love to see some pictures

Natural Time wrote:Will post picturesvery soon. Learning to download them now.

LaFemmeRouge wrote:Ditto wanting to see pictures. I am 11 years shy of 50, and I am transitioning with twist braids. My thing is that I have a lot of gray hair for my age, so I want to wear my TWA, but it will be laced with lots of gray. I am not sure if I want to color either.

For now how about an update on my avatar instead of pictures. Still need more practice to download pics.

Natural Time

Back to top Go down

Post by LaFemmeRouge 19th March 2010, 2:38 pm

OK, I got to say I love, Love, LOVE your hair!

LaFemmeRouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Time 19th March 2010, 2:52 pm

LaFemmeRouge wrote:OK, I got to say I love, Love, LOVE your hair!

Thank You!! I am loving it too. So wear your TWA and gray with pride!!!

Natural Time

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 19th March 2010, 3:24 pm

You and your hair are bueatiful
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th March 2010, 10:20 am

Erica5417 wrote:My mom just did the big chop! She's 49. Love how many of our moms are going natural Smile

That is awesome...I did my bc at the age of 48 (October 2009)...I don't have daughters, and my youngest son wasn't feeling the natural look at all!!! You mother is so lucky to have you to support her!!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th March 2010, 10:22 am

Beautiful!!!!! I'm right behind you, but I'm not feeling my grey edges. If my grey was coming in all over I would embrace it....yours is soo pretty!!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Time 22nd March 2010, 2:19 pm

RoseBud wrote:

You and your hair are bueatiful

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:

Beautiful!!!!! I'm right behind you, but I'm not feeling my grey edges. If my grey was coming in all over I would embrace it....yours is soo pretty!!!!

Thank You Ladies for your kind and encouraging words!!! I am looking forward to when the gray comes in all over. Right now it is just in the front edges but that is what makes it unique....almost like two cotton balls on my temples. Embrace it and love it!!!

Natural Time

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 22nd March 2010, 2:45 pm

My mom is a natural- she did a BC a few years ago- She tried to grow it out. Loves the short look.
Maybe, I am biased. She is my mom, however, I think she rocks it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd March 2010, 3:00 pm

Nyla I TOTALLY agree! You ladies are beautiful! Work it!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 22nd March 2010, 7:51 pm

Thank you sweet. I took this picture when she wasn't ready! To be honest, I think this one came out better than, the ones when she was ready.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 22nd March 2010, 7:52 pm

Oh btw- my mom turns 61 this year!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd March 2010, 8:53 pm

Nyla, momma was working it! I love that pic!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next