CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair & Models of the Runway

+4
MsJay1121
jcanalena79
TutuKia
classyPINK
8 posters

Go down

Natural Hair & Models of the Runway Empty Natural Hair & Models of the Runway

Post by classyPINK 12th March 2010, 2:51 pm

It's Thursday night 11pm and I'm in bed doing a two strand twist and watching my absolute fav show: Model's of the Runway! Let me preface this with these facts: I'm NOT a TV person but I AM a curl addict. To give you an idea, I once fought sleep at 3AM upon seeing a Ouidad info commercial for the first time. Credit card in hand, I stayed up doing research on her products and ingredients online till a faint light called 6 A friggin M MONDAY slapped me in the face... Yea, it's that bad. Anyway, as soon as I peeped the curly model Monique on this season of MOTR (with whom I think I am at least curl step sisters) I was hooked waiting to scope out new ideas for styles, products etc. So I'm twisting and watching as Monique is straightening her hair, "changing it up a bit" as the models prep for elimination. The other White, relatively straight haired models watch as her flat iron whisks over her beautiful, full 3cs creating 1as in their place. I'm almost upset then slow my roll: I say "Erica, it's not that deep, it's her hair to do with whatever she wants!" But I still couldn't help but wonder why after this many weeks she had chosen to go the straight route. Save for talent, her hair (and being the only Black model left) set her APART in my eyes. Fast forward: Elimination time! With two model's left to be chosen Monique being one, Monique donning her new swishy pony, is chosen by designer Anthony (love him!) from the A. As she is about to leave the stage Anthony drawls in that especially cute twang of his "Keep that hair straight girl!" coupled with that lingering "mmmhmmm" look your Momma has probably given you (you know, when a the request nicely stated prior is really a demand) she gives a quick nod aaaaaand exit Monique... To top it off, as she hugs eliminated model friend goodbye, Friend strokes Monique's hair and says with surprise: "Your hair is so soft!" Hmmph... As you can probably tell I had a screw face going, by that point. I tried to be objective but it didn't quite work. Maybe I AM too sensitive, maybe it WASN'T that deep. Maybe she won't show up next week with a head full of weave and completely change who she is. Maybe she does... if so what will that mean? Or does it mean anything at all? Maybe this is much less about Monique and an episode of MOTR than I think and more about something else... Needless to say, that episode left me feeling "some kinda way". Anyone see it and feel the same? Anyone see it and feel differently? Regardless, I shall be watching next week to see what Anthony has the hair stylists do to Moniques 'do.
classyPINK
classyPINK

http://www.twitter.com/classyPYNK

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair & Models of the Runway Empty Re: Natural Hair & Models of the Runway

Post by TutuKia 12th March 2010, 4:03 pm

It's just hair, it's not as if it's important or making a difference in any important aspect of the world whether natural or straight. Maybe she just wanted to wear her hair straight? you know like how some girls use curling irons to get curls, some straighten their wavy hair every morning to wear their hair straight. Some use products hoping to get more body into their already straight hair. There's nothing wrong with straight, wavy, curly or kinky hair.

My white and asian friends if they are over watch whatever I do to my hair, and I do the same with them because we're just weird like that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] We also watch every other try on outfits and watch how each of us applies makeup differently. Just because someone who may have a totally different hair texture is curious to see how someone with a more curly texture of hair comes out when using a flat iron sits there and watches doesn't mean they're thinking some of the 'evil white girl' thought alot of black women delude themselves into believing in. I honestly don't think white women are obsessed with black women and their issues as much as black women natural or relaxed are obsessed with what a *GASP* white girl may or may not be thinking about their hair, or their whatever. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seems like whatever any "woman of color" does to her hair there has to be some deep rooted reason behind it. I can't wait for the day where SOME black women will just allow other black girls and women to just be normal girls for once and stop trying to over-analyze and have discussions about what some non-celebrity does to their hair. lol

Also if her being black is the *only* thing that set her apart she shouldn't be a model. I can look at Gemma Ward next to 20 other blonde models, same height and all beautiful and see what sets Gemma apart from them. No one should be the token black, asian or hispanic 'model' just for that reason, that's just plain unfair and pretty sad. I'd be ashamed to be on a show for wannabe models or apart of anything just because they needed ANY black girl.

TutuKia

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair & Models of the Runway Empty Re: Natural Hair & Models of the Runway

Post by jcanalena79 12th March 2010, 4:31 pm

If I understand correctly, @classyPINK, your issue is more that she was told to keep her her straight almost as a condition of being picked. NOT that she chose to wear it straight one day. If so, I completely agree. Wearing it straight and switching it up is a JOY of being natural -- flexibility. HOWEVER, when people make comments that the straight look is more acceptable, etc. ... or, as in this case, a condition of being chosen for a "job" then that's ridiculous ... but, unfortunately, an accurate commentary on how folks view our hair.
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 12th March 2010, 5:06 pm

classyPINK wrote:It's Thursday night 11pm and I'm in bed doing a two strand twist and watching my absolute fav show: Model's of the Runway! Let me preface this with these facts: I'm NOT a TV person but I AM a curl addict. To give you an idea, I once fought sleep at 3AM upon seeing a Ouidad info commercial for the first time. Credit card in hand, I stayed up doing research on her products and ingredients online till a faint light called 6 A friggin M MONDAY slapped me in the face... Yea, it's that bad. Anyway, as soon as I peeped the curly model Monique on this season of MOTR (with whom I think I am at least curl step sisters) I was hooked waiting to scope out new ideas for styles, products etc. So I'm twisting and watching as Monique is straightening her hair, "changing it up a bit" as the models prep for elimination. The other White, relatively straight haired models watch as her flat iron whisks over her beautiful, full 3cs creating 1as in their place. I'm almost upset then slow my roll: I say "Erica, it's not that deep, it's her hair to do with whatever she wants!" But I still couldn't help but wonder why after this many weeks she had chosen to go the straight route. Save for talent, her hair (and being the only Black model left) set her APART in my eyes. Fast forward: Elimination time! With two model's left to be chosen Monique being one, Monique donning her new swishy pony, is chosen by designer Anthony (love him!) from the A. As she is about to leave the stage Anthony drawls in that especially cute twang of his "Keep that hair straight girl!" coupled with that lingering "mmmhmmm" look your Momma has probably given you (you know, when a the request nicely stated prior is really a demand) she gives a quick nod aaaaaand exit Monique... To top it off, as she hugs eliminated model friend goodbye, Friend strokes Monique's hair and says with surprise: "Your hair is so soft!" Hmmph... As you can probably tell I had a screw face going, by that point. I tried to be objective but it didn't quite work. Maybe I AM too sensitive, maybe it WASN'T that deep. Maybe she won't show up next week with a head full of weave and completely change who she is. Maybe she does... if so what will that mean? Or does it mean anything at all? Maybe this is much less about Monique and an episode of MOTR than I think and more about something else... Needless to say, that episode left me feeling "some kinda way". Anyone see it and feel the same? Anyone see it and feel differently? Regardless, I shall be watching next week to see what Anthony has the hair stylists do to Moniques 'do.

So, bold statement ticks me off. I straighten from time to time (although I won't be anytime soon--growing out some heat damaged tresses Sad ). I've always resented when people say that I "look" better when my hair's a certain way or style. While I do agree with Kia in that it is "just hair," it bothers me that since it is "just hair" all types can't be accepted as beautiful--what's up with that?

As far as her friend, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Many of my white friends are also astounded at how soft my hair is--mainly because they bought into the stereotype that natural hair is brillo pad-ish in feel and texture. So maybe Monique actually dispelled some ignorance in that regard, who knows?
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalme72 13th March 2010, 1:34 am

@classyPINK....Monique didn't make the initial decision to straighten her hair...her designer for the week, Emillio, changed it up to go with his outfit/design. And I thought the way he had them style her hair was a plus for his entire look! Although I was sad to see her curls go...the straight hair did worked for the look he was going for.

I think on Models of the Runway, Monique just wanted to change it up b/c Emillio has never been loyal to his model so she knew he probably wouldn't pick her again...which he didn't! Plus when Heidi mention that they didn't recongize her w/straight hair, I think she took that as she needed to make a change to stay in the competition....so she kept it straight. Personally, I don't think that's what Heidi meant! Monique with curly hair has such a unique look & I feel that's what set her apart. Now she looks like the rest of them..... But the straight hair did work in her favor since she is still in it. I was disappointed with Anthony's statement...I do luv him dearly but he could've kept that "keep that hair straight" comment to himself and just styled her hair straight if it goes with his look.

And I'm not even gonna comment on her friend's comment about soft hair, as if she had brillo pad hair before [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What ticked me off was the fact that she was actually patting her on her head as she said that....

Last edited by Naturalme72 on 13th March 2010, 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typos)
Naturalme72
Naturalme72

http://www.meetup.com/Hampton-Roads-Nappturals/

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 14th March 2010, 11:28 pm

I saw that too and had the same reaction. I was a little ticked by Anthony telling her to keep it straight. I love her curls and think her hair (curly) makes her stand out more. Anyway, I thought it was an odd request from him...has she been his model before? I'm just wondering if the curly hair was keeping her from being picked by certain designers, thinking it lacked versatility? But you can do so much with natural hair.

About the soft thing, that's just ignorance. Naturally curly hair can be soft too.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 14th March 2010, 11:44 pm

I can certainly understand Monique wanting to change her hair and she certainly has that choice. I was insulted for Monique when Anthony told her to keep her hair straight. The way he made his comment made natural black hair sound unattractive. I was also infurated because Anthony is black and sometimes our own black people are more insulting about black natural hair than other races.
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th March 2010, 6:25 pm

ladybug wrote:I can certainly understand Monique wanting to change her hair and she certainly has that choice. I was insulted for Monique when Anthony told her to keep her hair straight. The way he made his comment made natural black hair sound unattractive. I was also infurated because Anthony is black and sometimes our own black people are more insulting about black natural hair than other races.

This is how I felt too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down