CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler

+7
NhappyJackie
Ekaette
Hartphelt
mitchellzee
ChrsLvsBks
krazy coils
pardigm
11 posters

Go down

Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler Empty Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler

Post by pardigm 7th March 2010, 7:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am brand spankin new to this forum and LOVE what I have read and learned. I am transitioning and I think (not sure) I have 3c/4a hair. I had my last relaxer a bit before Oct. 1st 2009. Let me just say the transition SUCKS but here is where I am now.

Length of hair is about APL w/ about 4 inches new growth. I heard so many good things about Eco Styler I just bought some today. I tried to mix in my hand the Leave in by Cantu w/ a curl activator (because it had glycerine for moisture - my hair is so try and just snapping at the ends). The curl activator works great in the mix HOWEVER, when I mixed just the Cantu w/ the Eco Styler. Clumpy city into small white beads! I have tried this once with another gel and I looked like I had dandruff all over my hair! These tiny beads just never dried and when they did, it was horrible. I am glad I didn't put it in my hair.

PLEASE can anyone recommend a GREAT thick leave in that is gel friendly and where do you find it, and cost? THANKS!

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler Empty Re: Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler

Post by krazy coils 8th March 2010, 12:23 am

I have used Shea moisture leave in with eco-styler gel. Its thick and does not leave a white residue. I mixed it with castor oil and it takes out the crunch and leaves the hair soft.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler Empty Re: Leave Ins that are "Gel Friendly" to use w/ Eco Styler

Post by pardigm 8th March 2010, 12:47 am

Thanks Krazy coils. Can I get it a store or only online? Also, I saw one video that said for KCC (so I assume also for Eco Styler) to use a conditioner w/o the silicones so maybe that is causing the tiny beading as silicones are supposed to be a water resistant to a point.

Last edited by pardigm on 8th March 2010, 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th March 2010, 12:54 am

I used Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (drugstore, $3-5), Aubrey Organics Island Naturals and Honeysuckle Rose (Vitamin Shoppe-$7-9) without any problems. Cantu Shea Butter Leave In is likely the culprit not the Eco styler. KKCC is also a product that does not work well with other products.

Mixing products in or on your hand before putting them on your hair is a great way of avoiding a hair mishap.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 8th March 2010, 1:16 am

Thanks ChrsLvsBks! I will check those out also. Do you use these conditioners as leave ins even though they may not say leave in on the bottle?

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th March 2010, 1:22 am

pardigm wrote:Thanks ChrsLvsBks! I will check those out also. Do you use these conditioners as leave ins even though they may not say leave in on the bottle?
Definitely, most of my "leave-ins" are regular conditioners. Typical leave-ins make my hair "laugh." Laugh equals thick, voluminous, big hair--not what I usually go for.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 8th March 2010, 1:31 am

Perfect! I will check out those any if anyone else has any suggestions, I am all ears! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchellzee 11th March 2010, 1:38 am

Right now, I'm using Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner (.98 cents/ bottle) and the Eco Styler w/ Olive Oil. My hair is in small individual braids with the ends left out. To curl the ends I Co-wash with the conditioner and then apply Coconut Oil on my wet hair. I immediately apply the Suave Coconut Conditioner. I finish by adding Eco Styler to hold the curl. I learned this method on YouTube from kinkycurlyqueen (sp?). The conditioner does not react with the gel. In the morning I just re-wet it with a water/leave-in spray and the curls come right back. No flakes..just soft curls.
mitchellzee
mitchellzee

http://www.curlyincolorado.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hartphelt 11th March 2010, 4:47 am

I had the same problem with the eco styler gel, it holds good, but i had the flakes and the next day it just got worse. I went on a search for a different gel and came across Lock, Twist & Hold by Royal Roots ($4.99/6oz jar at local bss), the directions said to spray on some of their conditioning spray before using, for extra softness, so i took it as "this might work well with my own leave in". It works great, no flakes!!! It dries soft and really defines my curls. It lasted about 4 days without ever flaking and i used a few different products before applying it. I only use the eco for my edges and baby hair now or if i want to slick the front down. Just a suggestion, hth. Happy hair growth!!
Hartphelt
Hartphelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 11th March 2010, 10:25 am

I use trader joe nourish spa and I have no problem with the flakies
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 11th March 2010, 12:13 pm

pardigm wrote:Thanks Krazy coils. Can I get it a store or only online? Also, I saw one video that said for KCC (so I assume also for Eco Styler) to use a conditioner w/o the silicones so maybe that is causing the tiny beading as silicones are supposed to be a water resistant to a point.

I also use sheamoisture Leave-in and it works great with gels. I have only found it at 1 BSS that is about 20miles from my home but they sell it online with Amazon, and treasuredlocs.com.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 11th March 2010, 12:47 pm

Ok, I will try that one also b/c I am turning into a PJ!!!! Oils for some reason just make my hair frizzier! I must have more 4 type hair.

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 11th March 2010, 2:12 pm

hey pardigm my hair is the same thing with your and im having the same issue as you trust me. i just wrote a blog asking every one for help. thank GOd i read this. I use the cantu shea butter leave in an di have the same issue. it just sits on my head, my hair doesnt absorb it, while i was transitioning i ust it as twisout with just shea butter and it works then but now, when i apply it to the gel it makes more mess for me. so maybe u will be my communication buddy. i have 3c/4a hair also but im experiencing dryness. like they saID I think its the cantu that doesnt mix with anythin not even with oil. i use suave natural, Vo5, shea butter mix and eco styler gel but they dont work with my hair for some reason. so try diferent leave in with the gel. so i just stop geling my hair for now till i fugure out what works for my hair.
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

https://www.youtube.com/darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 11th March 2010, 2:35 pm

I sooo feel you darkbearutytt. I love the Cantu by itself but once you mix that stuff, forget it.

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 11th March 2010, 7:56 pm

i was wondering has anyone try essentious shampoo and condiitoner before? is it good?.

Pardigm why dont u try herbal essence totally hydration, i heard its good, i went ot grab a bottle today from walmart so hopefully its good.
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 11th March 2010, 9:16 pm

Does it "play well" w/ Eco? If so, I will get it at the store for sure!!!

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 11th March 2010, 10:49 pm

pardigm wrote:Thanks Krazy coils. Can I get it a store or only online? Also, I saw one video that said for KCC (so I assume also for Eco Styler) to use a conditioner w/o the silicones so maybe that is causing the tiny beading as silicones are supposed to be a water resistant to a point.

Sorry I'm late answering this. You can sometimes find it at local beauty supply stores but I order it online from beauty of newyork.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 17th March 2010, 8:16 pm

krazy coils wrote:I have used Shea moisture leave in with eco-styler gel. Its thick and does not leave a white residue. I mixed it with castor oil and it takes out the crunch and leaves the hair soft.

Ooo, that's a great idea!

Yeah, when I first used ecostyler I also mixed it with cantu and the results were awful! I almost gave away my ecostyler but I found that it works well with my giovanni direct leave-in conditioner. I co-wash, apply oil in small sections then my leave-in and the ecostyler on top.
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st March 2010, 1:45 pm

Are you all mixing the eco with your leave in before applying? And do you just rub it into your hair or are you scrunching it using small sections?

I like using the eco and the results once it dries but sometimes I think my rubbing it into my hair doesn't give me the best results.

Also, I co-wash, apply leave-in, oil, then eco. Does it matter if the oil goes on first before leave in and gel?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to master my routine to get the best look and result with my TWA.

TIA!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 21st March 2010, 2:23 pm

I've had a similar but not the exact same experience. I started out using a mix of 1/3 Cantu Leave in, and 2/3 water in a spray bottle as a "setting lotion" for flexi rod sets, but then decided to add some Eco styler for my last twist out. I immediately thought it was a huge mistake because when I shook it all up the little balls/grains popped up right away. But, I didn't want to waste it (even though its a small amount), so I sprayed it on for my damp hair anyway and then flat twisted it. When I took the twist down there were no flakes or grains/beads on my hair. So maybe it could be your method of application.

PS- I have 4bish hair, and I'm only two months into my transition, so that could also be why my experience was a little different
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 15th April 2010, 1:28 am

why dont u try sheamoisture leave in conditioner, that same one that curlynikki uses. i heard its really good. or u can try giovanni direct leave in.
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down