CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does all hair really grow at the same rate?

3 posters

Go down

Does all hair really grow at the same rate? Empty Does all hair really grow at the same rate?

Post by TutuKia 6th March 2010, 11:05 pm

Besides people with abnormal growing rates, whether they be abnormally slow or fast.

Just wondering because I have a Korean friend who had bangs ....just a few months ago that were cut just above her eyebrows (too high for her liking) and cut her WL hair to SL, and her bangs are now even with her now APL hair all together. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] And on top of that she dyed her dark dark black hair a shade of brown with light high lights.

I don't get it? I thought everyones hair was suppose to grow at the same rate each year? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
When my hair was SL natural or relaxed it took me almost a full year to get past it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

edit/ Note :: her hair is not bone straight or even wavy. It looks a bit like taylor swifts hair before she got famous....tighter curls...which I found odd but I guess anything is possible. Razz

TutuKia

Back to top Go down

Does all hair really grow at the same rate? Empty Re: Does all hair really grow at the same rate?

Post by MsJay1121 6th March 2010, 11:33 pm

To answer your question, I would say no. Hair growth (as far as internal factors) has a lot to do with genetics, diet and exercise, stress, etc. External factors are important too as far as upkeep. Not sure what your friend's doing, but I'm interested in finding out =)
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Does all hair really grow at the same rate? Empty Re: Does all hair really grow at the same rate?

Post by Intelligentbeauty 7th March 2010, 12:50 am

In general hair grows at a rate of 1/2 inch per month. That is about 6 to 6 and a half inches per year. It may be slower or faster for some people. Genetics, diet, exercise and stress does play a role because the root of the hair strands are connected to a blood supply in the follicile. Once is becomes disconnected from that hair strand that is called the shedding phase and the strand can easily be pulled out of the head, but that is another subject.

What alot of people fail to realize is the growth rate and cycle is generally the same for everyone, however it is the length retention that varies. The ends (the oldest part of the entire hair strand) is susceptible to alot more external factors: brushing on the shoulders, wind, sun, etc thus causing split ends and breakage. Therefore, the ends must be consciously cared for and protected in order to retain the length. In tightly curled hair this can be a challenge because the hair does not hang down but instead sticks up creating a problem for one to target the ends and protect them. However styles like roller sets, and twist n curls, bunning, and braiding with ends hidden away can help overcome this challenge.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 7th March 2010, 2:41 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:In general hair grows at a rate of 1/2 inch per month. That is about 6 to 6 and a half inches per year. It may be slower or faster for some people. Genetics, diet, exercise and stress does play a role because the root of the hair strands are connected to a blood supply in the follicile. Once is becomes disconnected from that hair strand that is called the shedding phase and the strand can easily be pulled out of the head, but that is another subject.

What alot of people fail to realize is the growth rate and cycle is generally the same for everyone, however it is the length retention that varies. The ends (the oldest part of the entire hair strand) is susceptible to alot more external factors: brushing on the shoulders, wind, sun, etc thus causing split ends and breakage. Therefore, the ends must be consciously cared for and protected in order to retain the length. In tightly curled hair this can be a challenge because the hair does not hang down but instead sticks up creating a problem for one to target the ends and protect them. However styles like roller sets, and twist n curls, bunning, and braiding with ends hidden away can help overcome this challenge.

Always living up to your forum name =)
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 7th March 2010, 3:17 am

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:
Intelligentbeauty wrote:In general hair grows at a rate of 1/2 inch per month. That is about 6 to 6 and a half inches per year. It may be slower or faster for some people. Genetics, diet, exercise and stress does play a role because the root of the hair strands are connected to a blood supply in the follicile. Once is becomes disconnected from that hair strand that is called the shedding phase and the strand can easily be pulled out of the head, but that is another subject.

Always living up to your forum name =)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down