CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twist n Curl Frustration

2 posters

Go down

Twist n Curl Frustration Empty Twist n Curl Frustration

Post by curlista 15th February 2010, 4:19 pm

Every time i try a TnC the length of hair comes out moisturized but my roots STAY dry. even when i try to combat this with more moisture concentrated on my roots, they still stay dry. when i attempt to "fluff" they just become frizzy dryness. I recently purchased some shea butter and coconut oil hoping to solve this but it didn't work either. When I've had my hair braided my whole head is moisturized, however, I can't braid....so any solutions?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by curlista on 15th February 2010, 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Twist n Curl Frustration Empty Re: Twist n Curl Frustration

Post by tiashaunteé 15th February 2010, 5:08 pm

What is your hair prep regimen before doing the twist in curl?

I think that when your hair is braided it retains moisture because it is wrapped around itself and mostly protected from the elements. When you TnC, do you sit under a dryer?

I also see that you are in Raleigh...so I know you have been experiencing the dry air. I gave up on "out" styles and I am staying bunned and/or twisted to combat the dryness. So far so good.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th February 2010, 5:36 pm

After i shampoo, cond, and dc i spritz with a condish and water mix. I'm already pretty much detangled at that point and I just applied the shea butter and coconut oil but it didn't work how I planned.

Sometimes I like to sit under the dryer, if I don't want to sleep wet (i re-do my hair at night) but usually I go to sleep semi-wet.

And yea buns have been my usual along with ponytails
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th February 2010, 5:37 pm

Due to this horrible TnC i wore a bun today as well lol Very Happy
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 15th February 2010, 5:38 pm

curlista wrote:After i shampoo, cond, and dc i spritz with a condish and water mix. I'm already pretty much detangled at that point and I just applied the shea butter and coconut oil but it didn't work how I planned.

Sometimes I like to sit under the dryer, if I don't want to sleep wet (i re-do my hair at night) but usually I go to sleep semi-wet.

And yea buns have been my usual along with ponytails

Are you fully natural or still transitioning?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th February 2010, 5:42 pm

Well, technically I'm "transitioning" all of my head is natural except for the ends of my front edges (it's growing out)
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 15th February 2010, 6:37 pm

curlista wrote:Well, technically I'm "transitioning" all of my head is natural except for the ends of my front edges (it's growing out)
Okay, in that case I am wondering if you have hair that isn't too fond of shea butter. Try doing to TnC with a light condish like Suave. You can even water it down some more and then spritz your hair with some oil while or after twisting. I am suggesting this because when my hair was really dry this is the technique I used to make it feel and look a lot better.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th February 2010, 12:47 pm

Curlista,
I just came across this thread on LHCF and it seems the person posting is having a similar issue. Maybe something on that thread can help you out:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444812
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 16th February 2010, 6:03 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have tried condish in the past and it works well, i just always had a problem with my roots. I've been doing a "chunky TnC" with about 8-10 twists, if I did small twists, more individually would that help with the roots? (My hair is big in volume but relatively thin as far as actual thickness so that's why I tend not to do many twists) Thank you for that thread as well. Very Happy
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th February 2010, 6:06 pm

curlista wrote:Thank you for the advice. I have tried condish in the past and it works well, i just always had a problem with my roots. I've been doing a "chunky TnC" with about 8-10 twists, if I did small twists, more individually would that help with the roots? Thank you for that thread as well. Very Happy

In my opinion I think more twist would have more of an effect on the overall looked rather than your roots. I forgot mention castor oil, I don't know how it slipped my mine. I have been using it on my scalp since the beginning of February and it is doing a great job of keep my roots soft, shiny, and preventing dry scalp. That may be another option for you.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 16th February 2010, 6:14 pm

Ok, and i guess i'll try castor oil then. I'm big on smell and I know castor oil isn't the most pleasing smell lol, so is there any way I could mild the smell?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th February 2010, 6:42 pm

curlista wrote:Ok, and i guess i'll try castor oil then. I'm big on smell and I know castor oil isn't the most pleasing smell lol, so is there any way I could mild the smell?

Mine doesn't smell at all. I got it from the Vitamin Shoppe in Cary (Crossroads). It's the Home Health Brand. The bottle is huge and only costs $7.99.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 16th February 2010, 7:00 pm

Ok, well all your advice has been VERY helpful...thank you so much. Hopefully the castor oil helps Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down