CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0(

+8
Mak
Lotusfairie
MsJay1121
jlowman1
JRoshelle
DreamMerchant
Courtney
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
12 posters

Go down

Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0( Empty Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0(

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 14th February 2010, 7:30 pm

Okay...so now that I've chopped....I found out the front of my hair is wavy/near str8, the middle is frizzy no curls, and the back is like 4a!!!!!???!!! Siiiiiiighhhhh......I just don't know what to do with it. I've been doin rollersets bcuz thats the only way to get a uniform look....I cant get a fro, twist sets are a freakin joke cus my hair in the front is so FLAT!!! THis is nutz!!! I don't want to get a relaxer so I'm just gonna get tree braids til June to let my hair grow out and see if I can figure something out...but I am super discouraged bcuz all these cute styles arent working for me. Plus I've henna'd twice and love the color but still have these fine thin strands of hair. Idk....here's me right after I chopped.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Havent got a great style since.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0( Empty Re: Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0(

Post by Courtney 14th February 2010, 11:46 pm

Hello!
I too have had days were I'm so frustrated with my hair. Right now I'm wishing it were longer...
I wish it didn't shrink so much...
I wish it wasn't so prone to frizz...
Evil or Very Mad
Multiple textures are part of the journey...as tough as it is, Embrace them. Smile

Your hair looks pretty in your picture.

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement.
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0( Empty Re: Feeling "naturally" depressed....:0(

Post by DreamMerchant 15th February 2010, 12:09 am

Your hair sounds like mine. I can't rock the afro because my hair is too limp. I do not even have a real curl pattern. They are more like frizzy waves. I dare not do a wash-n-go! the only thing that will make my hair an even curl/wave patter are to do twists and braids. Then once those get old I will put it in a bun. It is getting rather boring! Your hair looks great!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by JRoshelle 15th February 2010, 12:45 am

Im not a hair expert by any means, I'm actually pretty new to being natural (again), But I noticed depending on what shampoo and or conditioner I use will determine how my hair acts. I personally have to use Eco styling gel to get my hair to have no frizz (not that I mind) and I do actually was my hair once a week because I do not like to have that much gel in my hair. I know I have to wet my hair daily if I want it to act right, I cant do second day hair I tried and it just looks a mess. I try to co-wash every other day (because I do wet my hair every day) and I alternate products. But when I wash with shampoo, even though it is Giovanni, I know because I washed out the rest of the moisture in my hair it's going to act differently.

I would try a different products all together and see if that makes a difference. I'm not trying to get you to become a product junkie (like me) but the only way you know if something is going to work for your hair is to try it out. I completely understand your frustration, because besides wash and go's my hair doesn't respond well to any of the styles the wonderful ladies have suggested. Just keep trying and you'll find something that works for you. Frizz is usually a result of lack of moisture, I started using a shea, mango, cocoa butter mix and my hair loves it. I'd just try different products until you find something. I recently bought sample pods to send some of the mixture to my friends, I would be willing to send you some of the products I have so you can test them out on your hair before you make a big purchase.
JRoshelle
JRoshelle

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 15th February 2010, 12:53 am

How often do you henna? The front of my hair is wavy and I noticed that henna was loosening my curls even more (almost making my hair straight) I had to stop hennaing. I may revisit it later on down the road or just start using Cassia. It gives the same conditioning effects as henna without the loosening and without the color.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 15th February 2010, 2:30 am

@JRochelle-heck yeah....inbox me I'd love 2 know what samples u have. I buy so much but nothing has yet 2 work for all 3 textures(lol).
@ DreamMerchant-Thanks...I feel ya.
@Courtney--thanks:)

I'm not tryna be a downer...I just love really cute n funky styles and my hair just wont do it?!? I'm just so perplexed. So I wind up putting all failed hairstyles in a banana clip 4 a faux-hawk.
And my hair has become rather dry so I'm gonna order some dominican deep condish and wear roller sets until I get my braids next week.
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 15th February 2010, 12:57 pm

Don't give up! It is definitely a process finding what you're hair likes... I've been natural pretty much my whole life, and I've JUST (within the last month) found a routine that works best for me. It takes a while, but you'll find products and styles that will work for your hair. I'm battling the 3+ textures too (I'm anything from a 3b-4a) so I know how frustrating it can get!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotusfairie 15th February 2010, 1:21 pm

I know how you feel, my hair is just wavy/straight at the front while the back and the right side are just very frizzy. My textures are not consistent at all. I'm still trying to find a cute style so I just try to keep it cleaned and moisturized.
Lotusfairie
Lotusfairie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mak 15th February 2010, 2:34 pm

Same issue with my hair. The top is just flat and frizzy with no curl pattern. It is wavy when wet but dries to a frizz. I have had some success with twistout done on very wet hair with lots of product and making sure to smooth the hair while twisting. It is sort of a pain not to be able to wear a fro or a nice rounded puff, but if I get a nice set (meaning if I take my time and do a good and thoughtful job) I enjoy the way the top of my hair has some movement and falls to the sides. It truly is trial and error.
Mak
Mak

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 17th February 2010, 10:59 am

3c, definitely get braids if you're feeling discouraged. All of the different hair types may be temporary. Did you cut off all of the relaxed hair? I will say this, you are gorgeous so even if your hair is half straight, half curly, you can rock it!!! cheers Don't give up. It sounds like you have gotten some great advice. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, is that your daughter? Sooo cute!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurlynapp 17th February 2010, 7:30 pm

I remember having the same issue that you have. I also have 3c hair in the front that is wavy and limp. I used to get frustrated trying to do twist when I first began because my twist would unravel and look horrible. I continued on my twist journey and now have beautiful two strand twists. I soon realized that all I had to do was train my hair to do what I wanted it to do. When I first became natural I thought that my hair would be super curly and do what ever I wanted it to do. Not!!! Keep trying and don't give up.

Kurlynapp

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 17th February 2010, 9:27 pm

Have you tried doing braidouts? It will help with the different textures and give your hair a wavy look all around. I also think you should lay off of the henna for awhile since it loosens the curl.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 18th February 2010, 2:50 am

I've been natural for 2 years and I've had some of the same issues you've described. One of the things we don't tell transitioners or newbies is that their hair may change after their BC. What you have when you put the scissors down may not be what you have a year later. Also, if you're a perm transitioner you may have scab hair - new growth that has been affected by continual perming and the hair is damaged coming out of your scalp. If this is the case you will see a change in your hair 6 months to a year from now.

My hair changed on me about 6-9 months ago. It was thinner, not as coarse, and my curls weren't as defined. Don't ask me what I did but now my hair is much thicker, coarser, and curls for days with the exception of a few small sections that are wavy to slightly curly. I used to have more sections of those wavy to slightly curly sections and now they're only a few of them. And I didn't transition from a perm but from heat damage so go figure.

I agree that you shouldn't give up on your curls. They're there...trust me they are. Also, be patient with yourself and your hair. Try different products and different combinations. Not everyone can be completely natural with their products, not everyone is going to be a twisting queen, not everyone is a w'n'g queen...so just find some stuff for you. However, make sure you learn YOUR hair..YOUR HAIR...YOUR HAIR....let me say it again...LEARN YOUR OWN HAIR. What may work for me may not work for you or it may work for you but with a little tweaking. And one thing that works for us all is moisture and more moisture.

We're here to help so let us know when you have questions. And I would suggest starting a personal thread in the butters'n'bars folder. That will be your own hair diary and we will follow you and give you any tips/suggestions we have. Check out others in that folder to see what they're doing.

...but don't give up...you came too far to go back to the hair bondage (((HUGS)))
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down