CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!!

+21
CrissyQ
Pinkpearls
NubieNatty
Neems
cassadie3
keeboo
NaturalChica
d.denise
TerraD
NaturalLayD
Keisha
Curlz of Luv
PaganWifey
Jonezy
NikG20
sweetdrk1
StephanieB
BlondeByDesire
Lynnieluve
tiashaunteé
oooop2
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!! Empty Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!!

Post by oooop2 8th February 2010, 4:37 pm

So I have a passion for photography. Got into it extensively when I lived in Asia. Now that I am back in the USA, I am finding that my camera is starting to collect dust.

So yesterday, as I was skimming foodgawker.com for some recipes, I found this link:

http://www.rawmazing.com/recipes/raw-recipe-almond-butter/

After clicking on that link, I discovered this:

http://www.rawmazing.com/photography-360/

Thought is was a great idea and wanted you guys to join in on the fun. So if you are game, let me know and we'll officially start the challenge on Mar 1, 2010 Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!! Empty Re: Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!!

Post by tiashaunteé 8th February 2010, 4:50 pm

I wish I was better at photography. I don't even know the appropriate settings for my camera. Most of my pics come out blurry.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!! Empty Re: Photography Challenge: Capturing a new photo in 365 days!!

Post by Lynnieluve 8th February 2010, 6:38 pm

tiashauntee wrote:I wish I was better at photography. I don't even know the appropriate settings for my camera. Most of my pics come out blurry.

I am still learning the setting on my camera too. My favorite setting is "Kids & Pets" because the pics dont turn out blurry but if you turn off the flash they will.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 9th February 2010, 10:32 am

I have a new Nikon DSLR or whatever it's called - I have yet to learn how it works - my husband bought it for me last mother's day cost about $1,200. But now I need one of zoom lenses that cost an arm and a leg. It has so many features on it.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 9th February 2010, 11:10 am

This looks like fun. I just have a point and shoot now, but I've been saving to get a DSLR camera and I've been reading a lot about photography in preparation. I'm hoping to take a photography class once I get my camera. I would participate in the challenge even thought I barely know what I'm doing.

@ BlondeByDesire What model camera do you have?

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 9th February 2010, 11:32 am

I have to check this out...I love taking pics with my Sony. I will check the link tonight and get back to you...
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 9th February 2010, 11:42 am

How cool! I'm in. I doubt I will post a picture every day though, and my pictures will not look nowhere near as good as that websites, lol. I only have a point and shoot....but this sounds like fun!!!

So the rule is take a picture every day and post it here? Starting March 1st? A picture of whatever we want, right?
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 9th February 2010, 1:56 pm

Hey ladies...I had a point and shoot for the longest time. Heck, I still have one and use it all the time. But when I moved to Asia, I became friends with a lady that was a photographer. We took pics of the same thing, but her images looked a GAZILLION times better. I started to pick her brain on how to improve and she helped me a ton. I'm no pro, but I'm having fun and in the end, that's all that matters Smile

Nik...Yeah, just post pics of whatever. I started my own challenge yesterday and this is what I captured.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I call it Cornrows....
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 9th February 2010, 2:21 pm

oooop2 wrote:Hey ladies...I had a point and shoot for the longest time. Heck, I still have one and use it all the time. But when I moved to Asia, I became friends with a lady that was a photographer. We took pics of the same thing, but her images looked a GAZILLION times better. I started to pick her brain on how to improve and she helped me a ton. I'm no pro, but I'm having fun and in the end, that's all that matters [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nik...Yeah, just post pics of whatever. I started my own challenge yesterday and this is what I captured.

I call it Cornrows....

Nice picture oooop2! The black and white gives it a sort of nostalgic feel. I think it also feels nostalgic b/c it brings back memories from when my mom used to cornrow my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 9th February 2010, 3:43 pm

oooop, that sounds nice! and great picture!!! What kind of camera do you have?
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 9th February 2010, 6:44 pm

School was canceled, so here's a pic from today...

NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th February 2010, 7:38 pm

Oooop2 and NikG ~ I love those pics. You guys are good.

@ NikG - A's hat and gloves are too cute!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 9th February 2010, 10:33 pm

thanks Lynnie! If only you knew how much I had to stretch that hat for it to fit over her head/hair. lol Laughing
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 9th February 2010, 11:46 pm

Thanks Lynnie...And OMG Nik, that pic is too cute...My daughter saw it and was like, "I want some Hello Kitty gloves and hat!!" So where did you get it...LOL

Decided to make my dog my subject today. He wasn't too impressed with me following him around as he was trying to pee...LOL

Oh and I have a Canon Rebel XTI. I take most of my pics with a Tamron Zoom lens.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 10th February 2010, 1:15 am

Love that picture! Cute dog. Your camera captures everything, nice!

lol Thanks! I bought the hat/gloves at Burlington Coat Factory for like $6. I bought her two other Hello Kitty hat/glove sets as well but they are different. They have a variety!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th February 2010, 11:43 am

@NikG20: I love Burlington Coat Factory!!!

@NikG20 & oooop2: Please share some picture taking tips
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 10th February 2010, 1:45 pm

I call this Stacked!!!

Headed to a Dutch luncheon and these are some appetizers I made.

@Tia....I'll respond to your question as soon as I get home.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th February 2010, 1:46 pm

oooop2 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I call this Stacked!!!

That looks so good. I dont think my camera can take great pics like this!! I have a Canon PowerShot SD something.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 10th February 2010, 3:43 pm

oooop, that picture came out reallllly nice!!! love it.

tia, I'm sure oooop can give you some great tips, the only things I really know of, that I have read on the internet, is natural light is your friend. Turn the flash off and use as much natural light as possible. I guess that's why I like outdoor pictures so much, lol. I struggle with natural light indoors. Also try not to cut off limbs in the picture, like hands/fingers, feet, etc. (I struggle with this sometimes) And of course you don't want your background to be too distracting, but I think everyone knows that, lol.
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 10th February 2010, 3:45 pm

By the way, I have heard great things about Canons, period. I was going to buy a Canon when I bought this camera but I changed my mind at the last minute. I think your pictures always come out clear Lynnie!!
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th February 2010, 3:50 pm

NikG20 wrote:oooop, that picture came out reallllly nice!!! love it.

tia, I'm sure oooop can give you some great tips, the only things I really know of, that I have read on the internet, is natural light is your friend. Turn the flash off and use as much natural light as possible. I guess that's why I like outdoor pictures so much, lol. I struggle with natural light indoors. Also try not to cut off limbs in the picture, like hands/fingers, feet, etc. (I struggle with this sometimes) And of course you don't want your background to be too distracting, but I think everyone knows that, lol.

Yay! I know one thing about taking pics. I always turn my flash off and stand in front of the window when I take pics of myself at home. I am still looking for the best setting on my camera when you are not using the flash though. I have to take about 6 or 7 pics to get the one good pic.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 10th February 2010, 3:55 pm

Oh yeah, see you know what you're doing. Yeah I don't mess with my settings too often. I need a camera upgrade, lol. I really just wanted this camera to record videos. Do you ever mess with your ISO settings or is it on auto? I don't know much about those settings but from what I have read they can make the world of a difference when taking a picture. I don't read too much into it because sometimes photography can be confusing, lol.
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 11th February 2010, 12:06 pm

NikG20 wrote:Love that picture! Cute dog. Your camera captures everything, nice!

lol Thanks! I bought the hat/gloves at Burlington Coat Factory for like $6. I bought her two other Hello Kitty hat/glove sets as well but they are different. They have a variety!

Will have to check out BCF!!

tiashauntee wrote:@NikG20: I love Burlington Coat Factory!!!

@NikG20 & oooop2: Please share some picture taking tips

For me, taking pics has to tell a story. What are you trying to capture? Is it a certain scenery, a certain expression? It has to provoke a memory. Also, you can't capture EVERYTHING without something being lost. So you have to decide what is it that you REALLY want to remember. Also, people want to feel as though they were there with you when you took that pic. So I'm big on up close and personal shots. I hate distant pics unless you are trying to capture to beauty of a landscape etc. If people are too small and hardly visible, they are forgettable. I don't want pics to be forgettable, so I try to really focus on what I'm trying to capture.

Regarding settings, I am still learning. I took a class and promised my instructor that AUTO would be my last resort. I tend to take most of my pics on AV mode. Trying to do more on manual, but AV is my comfort. But the only way to truly get better is to practice. I don't think it's necessary to get an expensive camera, unless you are really serious about photography. I also take great pics w/ my Canon Powershot s80. I love natural lighting b/c it gives the pics I am trying to capture, the purest look, but there are times when a flash is just needed. So you will have to gauge that. I think a lot of people have blurred pics b/c they are either moving when taking pics or don't have a steady hand. I HATE tripods so I rarely use mine, but I do try to prop myself onto something so that my hands don't shake a lot. It's amazing how a little shake can just crew up a great pics.

HTHs...

Lynnieluve wrote:
oooop2 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I call this Stacked!!!

That looks so good. I dont think my camera can take great pics like this!! I have a Canon PowerShot SD something.

Yep...I have a Powershot also as my purse camera and it takes great pics.

I agree w/ what you said. However, I will crop out a lot out of a pic depending on what my focus is.

Lynnieluve wrote:

Yay! I know one thing about taking pics. I always turn my flash off and stand in front of the window when I take pics of myself at home. I am still looking for the best setting on my camera when you are not using the flash though. I have to take about 6 or 7 pics to get the one good pic.

NikG20 wrote:Oh yeah, see you know what you're doing. Yeah I don't mess with my settings too often. I need a camera upgrade, lol. I really just wanted this camera to record videos. Do you ever mess with your ISO settings or is it on auto? I don't know much about those settings but from what I have read they can make the world of a difference when taking a picture. I don't read too much into it because sometimes photography can be confusing, lol.

Try taking pics in AV mode. The beauty of digital photography is that you can just hit delete until you get it right Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 11th February 2010, 4:21 pm

oooop2 wrote:
Regarding settings, I am still learning. I took a class and promised my instructor that AUTO would be my last resort. I tend to take most of my pics on AV mode. Trying to do more on manual, but AV is my comfort. But the only way to truly get better is to practice. I don't think it's necessary to get an expensive camera, unless you are really serious about photography. I also take great pics w/ my Canon Powershot s80. I love natural lighting b/c it gives the pics I am trying to capture, the purest look, but there are times when a flash is just needed. So you will have to gauge that. I think a lot of people have blurred pics b/c they are either moving when taking pics or don't have a steady hand. I HATE tripods so I rarely use mine, but I do try to prop myself onto something so that my hands don't shake a lot. It's amazing how a little shake can just crew up a great pics.

HTHs...

Something else that I do to help with the shakes is that I turn on the timer for a 2 second delay. In my experience, pressing the button to take the pictures causes me to move right when I let go of the button creating a blurry picture. However, if I put the two second delay on, it allows me to be more stable.

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 12th February 2010, 8:04 pm

Great pics Oooop2!

I took a digital photography class in college, it was great.
I wish I had a better camera, I'd explore photography more now on my own.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next