CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP!

+9
NubieNatty
ktoliver5303
oooop2
nikkinixnicole
sweetdrk1
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
BlondeByDesire
NaturallyKeyStreet
13 posters

Go down

Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP! Empty Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP!

Post by NaturallyKeyStreet 4th February 2010, 11:33 am

Hey ladies!

Ok so I Big Chopped 5 days ago and I have noticed that my hair is super duper dry. I was expecting this because I did research before hand and it seemed like everyone has similar results when they big chop at first. What I wasn't prepared for was my scalp being extra dry. Let me start off by saying I have always had dry scalp growing up. This is one of the reasons I was excited to go natural. I thought that me not putting chemicals in my hair would help my scalp to not be so dry. Actually, it is much more dry now than it has ever been. I woke up this morning scratching my head like crazy and seeing nothing but white flakes on my black satin pillowcase. Yesterday I co-washed with Organix Coconut Conditioner, put a little bit of Infusium leave in conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner, and topped it off with some coconut oil. What am I doing wrong????? Please help ladies.

NaturallyKeyStreet

Back to top Go down

Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP! Empty Re: Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP!

Post by BlondeByDesire 4th February 2010, 11:36 am

What I've read is that you need to co-wash often after doing the BC. Others will chime in.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP! Empty Re: Just BC'd and my scalp is SUPER dry! HHEEELLLPPPP!

Post by Lynnieluve 4th February 2010, 12:20 pm

I would recommend replacing the coconut oil with olive oil. The olive oil is a little bit heavier. You could try oiling your scalp with the coconut oil.

I was under the impression that I wouldnt have to oil/grease my scalp once I became natural but I was wrong. Right now I am doing it 3 times a week but I may need to increase that to every other day until it warms up. I know some other curlies will chime in. I'll send ChrsLvsBks over to help you.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th February 2010, 3:06 pm

One word of advice is to not apply your leave in conditioners to your scalp. If you are concerened that they will get on there, oil your scalp before applying your leave ins.

You could also try adding oils to your co-wash conditioner; use a humidifier at home, if you can; use a plastic covering at night under your satin bonnet or scarf--before doing so, apply a little oil to your scalp and give yourself a scalp massage.

Let us know if any of the suggestions help. Hoping you the best!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyKeyStreet 4th February 2010, 3:57 pm

OK great. I will definitely try this out. Thanks so much ladies!

NaturallyKeyStreet

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 4th February 2010, 9:32 pm

My hair loves WATER it's so simple but so magical!! Congrats on the BC you look beautiful!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 4th February 2010, 10:05 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I would recommend replacing the coconut oil with olive oil. The olive oil is a little bit heavier. You could try oiling your scalp with the coconut oil.

I was under the impression that I wouldnt have to oil/grease my scalp once I became natural but I was wrong. Right now I am doing it 3 times a week but I may need to increase that to every other day until it warms up. I know some other curlies will chime in. I'll send ChrsLvsBks over to help you.

AGREED! Olive oil is the best out of most of the oils I've tried
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 4th February 2010, 10:08 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:My hair loves WATER it's so simple but so magical!! Congrats on the BC you look beautiful!!

My hair loves water too! I tend to see more growith in the summer months when I do frequent washes-n-go's with leave-in conditioners! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 4th February 2010, 11:32 pm

Add oils to your condish and deep condition about 1-2x/week for at least 15-30min.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 5th February 2010, 3:12 am

I have to start by saying congrats on your BC. I had the same issue when I did mine, but co-washed every other day with Oyin Handmande Honey Hemp conditioner, and then based my scalp with olive oil, then sealed with castor oil. My hair does not itch any more.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 5th February 2010, 10:59 am

i did my first oil rinse w/olive oil, LOVED it!! also since its so cold i been tryin to stretch my co-wash's to every 3 days vs every other day so i either used my own oil concoction (jojoba, castor, sweet almond w/ some eo's or my shikakai (from afroveda) to massage into my scalp and massage it throughout...i put my shower cap on and let the steam do its thang and VOILA!! my hair stays moisturized for dmn near 2 days!!! coconut oil in between is also good considering its really light.

i also love pairing the aussie moist w/ the 3 min miracle too!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy2B 5th February 2010, 11:19 am

NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:i did my first oil rinse w/olive oil, LOVED it!! also since its so cold i been tryin to stretch my co-wash's to every 3 days vs every other day so i either used my own oil concoction (jojoba, castor, sweet almond w/ some eo's or my shikakai (from afroveda) to massage into my scalp and massage it throughout...i put my shower cap on and let the steam do its thang and VOILA!! my hair stays moisturized for dmn near 2 days!!! coconut oil in between is also good considering its really light.

i also love pairing the aussie moist w/ the 3 min miracle too!

An oil rinse sounds like a good idea, do you do it on wet hair and do you wash it out afterwards? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm still learning, lol!
Happy2B
Happy2B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylkifine 5th February 2010, 11:59 am

I have been experiencing the same problem. Personally, I have tried both co-washing, and hot oil treatments with olive oil (oil rinse). Co-washing does nothing for me, and maybe the same for other folks as well. I usually try to co-wash about Day 3, or Day 4 after my regular wash day.

On the other hand, my hair loves the hot oil treatment, but it doesn't eradicate the problem. My hair absorbs the nutrients from the olive oil, in which I can tell upon rinsing it out. But, my hair still itches.

I have recently thought it may be the use of sulfates in the shampoos I use. So, that would be a suggestion to you as well....change your shampoo....

Sylkifine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th February 2010, 1:05 pm

Sylkifine wrote:I have been experiencing the same problem. Personally, I have tried both co-washing, and hot oil treatments with olive oil (oil rinse). Co-washing does nothing for me, and maybe the same for other folks as well. I usually try to co-wash about Day 3, or Day 4 after my regular wash day.

On the other hand, my hair loves the hot oil treatment, but it doesn't eradicate the problem. My hair absorbs the nutrients from the olive oil, in which I can tell upon rinsing it out. But, my hair still itches.

I have recently thought it may be the use of sulfates in the shampoos I use. So, that would be a suggestion to you as well....change your shampoo....

How often do you shampoo?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylkifine 5th February 2010, 1:10 pm

I was my hair faithfully every week, not including my co-wash day.

Sylkifine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th February 2010, 1:12 pm

Sylkifine wrote:I was my hair faithfully every week, not including my co-wash day.

Try shampooing less. Shampoos are tend to be drying whether they have sulfates or not. Try every other week and see if it helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylkifine 5th February 2010, 1:17 pm

I have tried that as well...no help....

Sylkifine

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 5th February 2010, 1:23 pm

i got my oil rinse explained easily by lynnie!

i did it after i poo'd though so i used about 3 handfuls of evoo on my hair, massage it around really good and it coated my hair marvelously then i immediately followed with my condish and rinsed out. the olive oil is coated my hair really thick, i like it.

i also did my FIRST cold water rinse too-BRRRrrrRR!! i think it was TOO cold cuz my head started to hurt but i instantly felt my curls popping throughout. my sheen lasted longer!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffyd 5th February 2010, 2:42 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I would recommend replacing the coconut oil with olive oil. The olive oil is a little bit heavier. You could try oiling your scalp with the coconut oil.

I've always had issues with Olive Oil. How do you apply it? Whenever I use it, it just sits on my hair and does not penetrate. It looks like small beads sitting on my hair strands. Does this happen for others using olive oil?
tiffyd
tiffyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th February 2010, 2:46 pm

After I apply my leave in conditioner, I take a small amount of olive oil in my hands, rub them together and put it in my hair. It's usually done when my hair is wet so once it dry, it all absorbs into my hair. HTH
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by WilonaWoods 8th February 2010, 8:52 pm

I did the big chop recently and I'm suffering from the same dry scalp issues!! I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this, and I'm also glad to find some tips to alleviate the itch! Thanks ladies.
WilonaWoods
WilonaWoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th February 2010, 8:58 pm

Congratulations on your BC Wilona!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down