CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Style Ideas

+8
marhia
butrflynv
tashafawn24
Koily_K-Lo
Lynnieluve
naturallyu
LearninToLove
Ninamj
12 posters

Go down

Style Ideas Empty Style Ideas

Post by Ninamj 12th January 2010, 1:39 am

My daughter hates getting her hair done. I wanted any ideas that can help make doing my daughters hair less of a task. I also wanted tips on braiding her hair because it gets fussy fast because she sleeps horribly (like me). Any tips would help.
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Style Ideas Empty Re: Style Ideas

Post by LearninToLove 12th January 2010, 5:44 pm

Detangle when her hair is wet and full of conditioner so the comb just slides through. NEVER COMB HER HAIR WHEN IT IS DRY!

Also, try to find styles that have two sides to them (ex. twists/twist-outs) so when it starts to get a little fuzzy you can incorporate the fuzz a bit into another style.

Check out
http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/. Nik20G (the Mom who writes that blog) is on here too. Look in the Curl Friends forum and find her and learn from the pro! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 12th January 2010, 11:27 pm

I also have a two year old. If I don't have a Dora or Disney/Pixar movie available then you can forget her staying still. LOL. I have some kid friendly styles in my fotki with my daughter pictured: http://public.fotki.com/NaturallyU/
Braids getting fuzzy over time comes with the territory especially if your baby is flipping all over the house like mine. I have put a satin bonnet on her head before going to sleep and tied down the bonnet with a ponytail holder to fit her head. I usually do her hair once a week.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th January 2010, 12:06 am

Naturallyu - your little girl is a cutie! Really nice styles.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 13th January 2010, 12:42 pm

I have 2 daughters... One who couldn't hold still if her life depended on it and the other who has the patience of Job. I'll share what I did when they were younger and do now (now they are 19 and 10)

First I would give them a heads up as to the day and the hour of their hair being done, even when they were 2 yrs old. After all, I hate last minute stuff myself just popping up in my day, imagine how they feel when you interrupt some serious Barbie or Play Doh time!! During this time, I'm also planning the style in my head or gathering pics from magazines as to what style I'm going to do. Simple and quick are the keys here. Not to mention styles that will hold up to them sleeping on the tops of their heads while they were hanging from their beds.

Just before doing their hair, I gather up back up resources, ie. crayons/paper, dolls, videos, toys, juice boxes, snack foods, or whatever. Anything that they were were/are into that will keep them occupied long enough for me to do their hair. And now I tend to do my 10 yr olds hair in a place that is COMFORTABLE for BOTH of us. Nothing worse than a back ache while you're trying to do hair (or get yours done).

When it comes down to the dastardly deed (takes me 2-3 hours from start to finish w/a wash to do my 10 yr olds hair depending on the style but 1.5-2 hrs with a take down and re-do) have all of the supplies in your arsenal ready as well as hers and then get started.

Since I am a huge advocate of family, I also use this time to get to know my daughter and catch up on the "smaller" issues in her life. Also get to know her interests, so as you do her hair, you can "interact" and comment on the activity that she is doing while you are doing her hair. There's nothing like Mommy/daughter time. For me, it was great, having three kids. My 2 girls got their own time with mom and it didn't feel like a chore or some sort of ordeal for them to have to endure. Every now and again, I sit and do my oldest daughters hair and we share our girly time with each other. I LOVE IT (still)!!

AS FOR STYLES: I"m always scanning magazines with children in the ads as well as doing a good old search on line for some pics. But I found that when my girls were younger, I started there hair about an hour before bed. This way, when they got bored and fell asleep, I was over 1/2 to 3/4 of the way done and they just slept right through the "finale". Always nice to finish on a "positive" note!!

Good luck. I hope this helps out in some way.
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 13th January 2010, 12:56 pm

Sorry.... Forgot to tell you: When it comes to sleeping, much like your own hair, your going to have to experiement.

Initially, I had to "Layer" 2 or 3 scarves/caps on their heads, that way if the top one came off, I still had 1 or 2 back ups. Obviously, use great caution when tying anything on her head. But find the item/s that work for you and stick with them. At 10, my daughter finally can not pull the "tie on" bonnet off her head.

Also, try to get her use to walking around the house in the day time with a pretty scarf on. Playing and doing 2 yr old stuff is hard work and can also show wear and tear on a cute little style.(Make it fun though, NOT A CHORE she might be more resistant to wearing it if it seems like a chore) My 10 yr old LOVES going to the store to the local Thrift Store to pick out scarfs and "coordinating" them with her outfits now.

You know thats the secret right: "You've got to Coordinate"!! Sorry, I'm old enought to remember the movie Boomerang! Must see eddie Murphy classis!!

Anyway, again Good Luck. Keep me posted, SERIOUSLY!! I would love to see how things work out.

Besos,

~Koily

Good Luck
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninamj 13th January 2010, 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas. Greatly appreciated. I will be looking about styles as of right now.
Nick Jr is my friend when it comes to get her hair done. I have never tried giving her snacks while I feed her but it is worth a try.
Koily it is funny you should bring up more than one scarf because my daughter has become a master at taking them ALL off. My sister and I just time how long it takes her to take it off.
I might be young but I sure love Boomerang so I know that about the importance of "You've got to COORDINATE"
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 14th January 2010, 12:38 am

Thank you so much Lynnieluve. She is such a handful but very funny.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 6th May 2010, 1:52 am

If a scarf doesn't work then you can always use satin pillow case; I've been thinking about getting one for my 3 year old but sometimes she actually likes to wear the satin scarf (when it stays on her head overnight). Once I put the scarf on her head it's hard for me to get her to take it off because she wants to look like mommy. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninamj 6th May 2010, 11:49 pm

It is cute when they want to look like mommy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ninamj
Ninamj

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 8th May 2010, 1:33 am

Yes it is! She's at this age where she wants to be clean (i.e. always wants a napkin at meal time), wear perfume, and take her little purse with her everytime we get in the car to go somewhere.

Now, since I am natural (and always in the mirror admiring my hair) she's in the bathroom right along with me looking at her hair. We're always exchanging compliments.

Jada: Mommy? I love your hair cut

Me: Thank you honey; your hair is beautiful today

Jada: Thank you mommy! Mommy, your hair is curly

Me: Your hair is curly too honey

Jada: Awe, thank you mommy

And it's non-stop until she starts messing with stuff that I have out or something (Oh, and she really does say "Awe after every compliment I give her too). Too much I tell ya!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by butrflynv 16th May 2010, 10:35 am

i recommend doing touch ups or even re-doing styles while the child is sleep. my daughter is now 13 but up until she turned 3 or 4 i would usually do touch ups or redo styles while she was sleeping. she's very girly and liked to get her hair done but after a while she got restless even w/ the videos playing.

butrflynv

Back to top Go down

Post by marhia 16th May 2010, 11:58 pm

The only way I can do my daughters hair is when I put on dora then she won't move a muscle (2 yr old )
marhia
marhia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mom2KurlyT 18th May 2010, 11:45 am

My baby is 2 1/2 and she loves Dora too. Whenever she puts on her backpack she IS Dora! LOL. Here is our latest style side cornrows and box braids:

Mom2KurlyT
Mom2KurlyT

http://kurlytspot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNee 5th June 2010, 2:06 pm

My daughter is 2 and want only to wear her hair out...no braids, no barretts. So I plat her hair up at night (hoping it will still be platted in the morning) and she sleeps on a satin pillow case. She likes her big Fro.
SimplyNee
SimplyNee

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 16th June 2010, 10:16 pm

I need to step up my styling game.

My little one will be 2 next month.

I usually do my little one's hair before she goes to bed once a week. Sometimes a touch-up mid-week.
I don't use rubberbands or barrettes much because she likes to pull them out her hair.

She refuses to sleep with anything on her head and sweats a lot so we use a satin pillowcase. During the day she is doing backflips off the furniture (or at least that's what it looks like sometimes) so I try do do braids vs twists. I've even done updos before.

Noggin, Sprout, PBS kids are a must. I usually do her hair in bed. As she gets older we'll probably move to the couch.
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by MommyJ 8th July 2010, 12:31 pm

this is all great advice ladies. my daughter will be 3 in sept., and for now we mostly do 2 strands or braids and beads. i also try to keep her attention with a good movie and some snacks!
MommyJ
MommyJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down