CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newbie transitioner

+2
LearninToLove
cupcake4
6 posters

Go down

newbie transitioner Empty newbie transitioner

Post by cupcake4 8th January 2010, 6:25 pm

Hey all!

I am transtioning. I have been transitioning for about 2 weeks. I have been washing my hair every 2 weeks because I had a texturizer in it. Now that my natural hair is growing into the permed hair I believe I have a texture of 3c/4a. I just washed my hair today and was wondering if anyone could suggest a way, or ways, for me to wash and care for my hair (both the relaxed and natural) as I transition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!
cupcake4
cupcake4

Back to top Go down

newbie transitioner Empty Re: newbie transitioner

Post by LearninToLove 8th January 2010, 9:22 pm

Congratulations on transitioning! I've heard just focus on your natural hair so use good stuff that you would use on your natural hair like no mineral oils and stuff like that. You have to baby your natural hair coming in so it doesn't break off and make transitioning longer for you.
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by cupcake4 9th January 2010, 3:11 pm

Thank you! So basically just use organic products?..and natural oils?
cupcake4
cupcake4

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 9th January 2010, 4:07 pm

cupcake4 wrote:Thank you! So basically just use organic products?..and natural oils?

yea basically...Also stay away from silicone's and deep condition regularly
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

http://twitter.com/MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by cupcake4 10th January 2010, 2:05 am

ok...and how do you know if something is a silicone?
cupcake4
cupcake4

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 10th January 2010, 3:12 am

cupcake4 wrote:ok...and how do you know if something is a silicone?

If you look at the ingredients, silicones end in "cone" such as dimethicone or trimethicone. Avoiding cones is good advice. I've been transitioning since the end of the summer and I recently stopped using products that work for my relaxed hair (which had a lot of cones) and started using products that are good for natural hair. Now my natural hair has sheen and the curls actually pop now when I co-wash. The relaxed hair is fine, too. This link from lhcf explains why silicones are bad: Silicones add shine and "slip" to hair products. They coat the hair strand and seal the cuticle. This helps keep hair from tangling. The downside is that some silicone products can buildup on the hair shaft and need to be removed by a shampoo containing a sulfate or other cleansing agent which can also strip moisture from the hair. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106132 Since moisture is so important to natural hair, it's not a good idea to use cones regularly.
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by cupcake4 10th January 2010, 10:31 pm

Oohhhh. ok. I'm definitely going to look at my products now! lol. Thank you.
cupcake4
cupcake4

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 11th January 2010, 5:47 am

Hello cupcake4, I am a 9 month transitioner and I refuse to judge what hair type I am until I cut off my relaxed ends. The relaxed ends weighs down the hair. Once you BC and begin to condition the hair for a while then I think you can be able to judge more accurately what your hair type should be.
But truthfully that is really unimportant when beginning to learn about your hair. Instead you want to focus on how your natural hair reacts to protein (texture), heat, porousity, and diiferent products. Many of your permed hair products may not work for you soon because your natural hair doesn't like it. So you will need to look for alternatives. Once you are ready for that, buy only samples of things and do not go overboard on the items because as your hair grows out, even those products might change. This journey is a constant process of change.

Try to get detangling shampoos and dilute them with water so you will not have the full strengh of sulfates in your hair. You may even want to start cowashing, which is great for conditioning both textures. Start to learn to detangle with your fingers with the shampoo or condish in your hair. Then you can section and detangle with a comb if you desire later. Start to deep conditioner more to treat that new growth. Try to keep a simple routine. If something is working for you, don't go switching to try something new because someone else said its good.
Protective styles are a must and can include roller sets, rod sets, twist-n-curl, braid -n-curls, twist n rod sets, braid n rod sets, bantu knots, french rolls, reverse rolls, ponytail pieces (but not to use to often so you wont stress the edges), buns,etc. When styling your hair, try to think that you want to try to blend your permed hair with your relaxed not vice versa. That way you are always doing the right thing for your natural hair (the hair you are trying to nuture).
I am sorry for all this info, but I have learned so much during my transition and am so eager to share it so duplicate mistakes are not made. Anyway, check out my link below and read through it for all that I have done and why. Also check out Maria on CN: here is the link:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/06/resource-for-newbies-and-transitioners.html

I hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 11th January 2010, 1:03 pm

Good morning Cupcake4,

I'm a long term transitioner and have been so since September 2008. The best thing I learned initially was to treat your entire head of hair as if it were completely natural. I stopped using harsh sulfate shampoos and switched to cowashing weekly. I shampoo only once a month and follow my final rinse with an ACV rinse.

Since we're caring for two different textures it's very important to handle our hair gently. Less manipulation is key and it's very important to wear protective styles. Even though I get tired of looking at those straight ends I don't neglect them and always keep them moist with either whipped shea/jojoba butter or Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter. I also moisturize with my own mix of water, glycerin, leave-in conditioner, and essential oils.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by cupcake4 11th January 2010, 5:23 pm

Intelligentbeauty-Thank you. Don't apologize for all of the info., it was very helpful and informative.

HAMPTONSFNST-Thanks...where could I find Shea/Jojoba oils/butters?...some place like WalMart or Sally's?
cupcake4
cupcake4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down