CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College Student Transitioning...HELP!!

+4
NaturalNixon
DanyelleLoves
FierceNerd
ahunter91
8 posters

Go down

College Student Transitioning...HELP!! Empty College Student Transitioning...HELP!!

Post by ahunter91 2nd November 2009, 2:44 pm

Hi Ladies,

I am a freshman in college and I am transition. Before I came to school I got my hair cut into a short style, but I decided that I want to go natural. My hair is growing, but because it is still kind of short from the style. Are there any suggestions on what styles I can do to my hair? What are some products that are of good quality and a good price for a college student on budget?

Here are some pics of my hair:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/14/49/90/66/ecu11.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/14/49/90/66/ecu_210.jpg

Thanks,
Ashley
ahunter91
ahunter91

Back to top Go down

College Student Transitioning...HELP!! Empty Re: College Student Transitioning...HELP!!

Post by FierceNerd 2nd November 2009, 3:43 pm

I am also a college student transitioning(long term) so I feel ya! I would say try a twist out(also called a bantu knot out) where you twist your hair into 2 strand twists and wrap them into bantu knots. When they are fully dry you can rock it curly! It also helps with the two textures. You can also check out youtube for syling info for transitioning and natural hair(my fave is PRETTYDIMPLE01) As for products I use cheap conditoners like VO5, Herbal Essences or Garnier Fruitus for my cowashes as well as a base for my conditioner and oil deep treatment. You dont have to pay an arm and leg for hair products(learned the hard way). Hope This Helps!
FierceNerd
FierceNerd

Back to top Go down

College Student Transitioning...HELP!! Empty Re: College Student Transitioning...HELP!!

Post by ahunter91 2nd November 2009, 4:50 pm

Thanks SOO much! I will definitely try the twist out. Very Happy
The only thing I think I might have trouble with is actually doing the twist out, because my hair is shorter in the back than it is in the front.
I already use Garnier Fructis, so that is a plus!
ahunter91
ahunter91

Back to top Go down

Post by FierceNerd 2nd November 2009, 5:07 pm

You can try to make it into a sorta-of up do since the front is longer than the back...you can lightly brush up the back and use some type of pomade or conditoning gel on it to make it lay flat then do the twist out on the rest of the head. Let me know what works!
FierceNerd
FierceNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 2nd November 2009, 5:09 pm

You could probably try coils. They can be done with either a comb or your fingers and I am sure there are videos on YouTube as to how to do them.
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

http://smartmouthme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNixon 3rd November 2009, 7:18 pm

I would def say twist outs and braid outs. My hair was short and they saved me. Shea butter and coconut oil is cheap and a little goes a long way.

As far as shampoos and conditioners try the suaves natural line. VERY cheap.

Good luck!
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by ahunter91 3rd November 2009, 10:11 pm

Thanks a bunch ladies!!

I brushed my hair up in the back and on the sides and twist out the rest. IT WAS A HIT!! I got so many compliments on how nice it looked. I really really really wanna thank you guys!!! :!:
ahunter91
ahunter91

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 4th November 2009, 8:31 pm

I am in the same situation. My fav style so far is the bantu knot out. It produces a nicely defined curl and it is a good way to deal with the two textures. Also, I like garnier fructis sleek and shine- and the suave naturals line has good ingredients and its ridiculously cheap. Also, you should try looking up styles on youtube.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 10th November 2009, 2:46 am

when I transitioned I loved doing a braided bantu knot out & It was easy & better for my hair because I didnt use heat to dry my hair when it was wet and I didnt have to straighten it. I could also wear the bantu knots as a cute exotic hairstyle as well. Good luck with finding your own staple style [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by IvyCurls 10th November 2009, 11:58 pm

Hey!
I'm also a college student transitioning and I like to use the curly fro (You can definitely youtube it), as well as braid outs and buns. I also do a simple two-strand twists and pull my hair back in a bun or something, when times are rough: as in papers, midterms etc, and you can't do your hair everyday. I use pantene's relaxed and natural line, I like it but I'm still experimenting. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
IvyCurls
IvyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by A85 19th November 2009, 11:51 am

you can also try straw curls!! just use straws to set ur hair...
A85
A85

Back to top Go down

Post by ahunter91 12th January 2010, 5:09 pm

Sorry for being late. Finals && the start of the new semester has set me back. :/

I tried the Two-strand twist/bantu knot && I loved it!!! I got soo many compliments. But I'm going to try the straw curls and I'll let you guys know how it turns out!
ahunter91
ahunter91

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down