CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grad Student in Need of a Big Sis

2 posters

Go down

Grad Student in Need of a Big Sis Empty Grad Student in Need of a Big Sis

Post by JCodes 29th July 2010, 1:50 am

Hi, I'm JCodes, I just joined CurlyNikki, and I'm so happy to be here. I got my last relaxer on June 30, and I'm soooo over relaxers, I miss my hair's natural thickness. A little background about me... I was natural from birth to 7, then relaxed from 7-8 (bad experience with a relaxer making my hair fall out), then natural again from 8 1/2-13, then relaxed again 13 1/2- 18 (moved from grandma to father's house and let's just say it wasn't the easiest time for my hair). I got braids and transitioned so that from 19-22 I was completely natural. I mostly rocked braids, but every once in a while I would rock my puff, or a blowout, and towards the end, I started doing weekly dominican blowouts. Got another relaxer at a couple of weeks after I turned 22, and now at 25, almost 26 I'm over it, and I want my natural hair back. I'm a 4a, from what I can remember from 4 years ago. My hair was very tightly curled, and could be prone to dryness. I have been taking care of my hair for about 2 years now, and I am almost MBL. I don't plan on doing a BC, because I'm in love with the length of my hair.

I am basically looking for a big sis who transitioned for a long term with a similar hair type, that can help and give me advice in this transition. This is the longest my hair has ever been. Before, my transitions only took a year and usually with breakage less than that. This will be the first time, I'm transitioning completely educated about all the necessities of healthy hair, and trying to actively manage two textures. I'm also in grad school, so my time to dedicate to styling my hair is extremely limited, and my funds are too. I mainly co-wash, DC and go. I shampoo only when I absolutely have to, and I'm trying to stay on my moisture with the occasional protein treatment, although I'm trying to be proactive about the dryness and breakage at the demarcation line that I may have to confront.

...So anyway, just looking for a big sis who can help!

JCodes

Back to top Go down

Grad Student in Need of a Big Sis Empty Re: Grad Student in Need of a Big Sis

Post by Muz 29th July 2010, 4:11 pm

Hey! I transitioned for a year, is that long term enough for you? If so I'm happy to help Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JCodes 29th July 2010, 7:59 pm

It surely is!!! Thank you so much. I love your hair in your pic...it looks beautiful. I need to get better at styling... right now all i can do is bun and do a braidout, which I keep half up half down...I'm definitely interested in trying more updos and stuff like that...

What products worked for you? Did you deal with scab hair; if so, how did you handle it? How did you detangle, did you have shedding issues?

JCodes

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 30th July 2010, 2:01 pm

Here's my base regimen for when I was transitioning. I didn't stray from that much, just swap the coconut oil for Castor oil (coconut oil did NOTHING for me ~lol~).

I don't think I have any scab hair, since I've chopped I did realize that the texture on the left side of my head isn't as curly/coily as the right side. I don't know if that's scab hair or what I guess I'll find out when it grows out Smile

I just did a lot of MOISTURIZING. That moisture sealing method described in my blog post kept my hair really moisturized even through the winter months.

I detangled with water and conditioner using a wide-tooth shower comb before co-washing (washing hair with conditioner only). Start at the bottom and work your way up. Of course once you'll fully natrual (especially if you plan to chop) you're going to have to modify that a bit., I do a lot more finger detangling)

I didn't really shed any more than I normally did. The key to keep shedding to a minimum is to do a lot of low/no manipulation styling. It sounds like you're on the right track with your buns and braidouts.

Just make sure you keep heat off of your hair (don't try to do the whole process flat ironing your hair because then you'll have to deal with heat damage when you are fully natural), trim your ends regularly, and remember to be patient and handle your hair gently. It's really fragile at the point where the natural hair meets the chemically altered hair, so the less you do with it the better.

One of my earliest styles that I did and LOVED was a bantu-knot out:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's really easy to do, and when you do them smaller they can last longer than a week (because the curls are tighter) without you having to do anything to them or sleep pretty, just throw on the satin bonnet and go to bed Smile And the two textures are totally blended. I did these on wet hair and let them dry that way (only do that when you have time to let them dry, if your hair is anything like mine it can take almost 48 hours for them to fully dry, or you could sit under a cool dryer for a couple of hours).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm not the greatest stylist in the world, I'm still learning, but it's a fun process, which brings me to my final point for now, keep having FUN with your hair, as long as you're having fun you won't miss straight hair at all and you can use the time to learn to do styles you'll want to do when you are natural. Start treating your hair like it's all natural now, don't wait until you ARE all natural or else you will have wasted a great opportunity to be more prepared Smile

Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JCodes 2nd August 2010, 11:43 pm

Thank you Muz! Your regimen is very helpful and your blog is so detailed. I really do love your bantu-knot outs, and I think I will try this style since it can last for a few days. Right now, I co-wash every other day (I work out a lot), and deep condition every 3 days or so. I don't use cones because they tend to build up on my hair, and since I live in an area with hard water, I don't need anything else being unnecesssarily added to my hair. I do have a water filter, which helps dramatically. I'm 4a like you, and my hair curls and coils really tightly on itself, so I think co-washing helps keep things soft and easier to detangle.

Castor oil is the only oil I can use oil to keep my hair soft; coconut oil makes my hair hard and tangled. Otherwise, I use a mix of Castor oil, Kokum Butter, Cocoa Butter, mixed with a little bit of Rice Bran oil (this dries up my hair sooo bad I mixed it in to thin out my mix but didn't put too much in for fear that it would reverse the moisturizing properties), and olive oil are mixed to together to make my moisturizing butter.

I'm definitely trying to treat my hair like it's natural. LOL...I have a Denman from a few years ago, and I modified it already. I know it will be so long before I get to use it because my relaxed hair is a little past BSL, but still I just can't wait to get my curls/coils back! In the meantime, I have a date with my SO this weekend, and I will definitely be trying out your bantu-knot out style, with the smaller knots, they will dry faster on my hair. Thanks so much Big Sis!

JCodes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down