CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?!

+8
loveself247
Mzbush
cinnamoncurlz
CocoEuro
DanyelleLoves
dajewel
nmoultry
KaseyM
12 posters

Go down

My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?! Empty My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?!

Post by KaseyM 2nd November 2009, 11:53 am

Hey babes and boos,Ive noticed that since Wilona (myfro ) has come into my life, I have recieved some irritating comments from my clown coworkers. Friday my clown coworker said "what in the hell is wrong with your hair?!" and I immediately retaliated with some completely inappropriate expletives...I have a potty mouth. I am also bombarded with,"when are you going to straighten your hair", "Hey Tina Turner", "WHY IS YOUR HAIR SO BIG", "you are so pretty with your straight hair"...and the list goes on. I am even more befuddled beause the commentors couldnt have a fro unless they bought one........and why does my unstraightened hair deem me less attractive in their clown eyes because I look good lol! But seriously...does anyone else have the same issue??
KaseyM
KaseyM

Back to top Go down

My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?! Empty Re: My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?!

Post by nmoultry 2nd November 2009, 12:06 pm

LOL, yes I have those same issues. The question I get is, "When are you going to straighten your hair" My response, "when you give me $50 to go get it straighten.

I've recently discovered that some people just always have something to say and don't understand that silence is key. Intially I would point out something about them that I obviously can't change but then I realized that they are even more puzzled when I don't respond and I just stare at them

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?! Empty Re: My Hair isnt Straight.......so what?!

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 12:33 pm

just keep your head up!!!!! your curlyness is wicked!!!! who all can't see the beauty and variety of our hair is just blind!!! kaseym, are these co-workiers black or white??
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 2nd November 2009, 12:58 pm

KaseyM wrote:Hey babes and boos,Ive noticed that since Wilona (myfro ) has come into my life, I have recieved some irritating comments from my clown coworkers. Friday my clown coworker said "what in the hell is wrong with your hair?!" and I immediately retaliated with some completely inappropriate expletives...I have a potty mouth. I am also bombarded with,"when are you going to straighten your hair", "Hey Tina Turner", "WHY IS YOUR HAIR SO BIG", "you are so pretty with your straight hair"...and the list goes on. I am even more befuddled beause the commentors couldnt have a fro unless they bought one........and why does my unstraightened hair deem me less attractive in their clown eyes because I look good lol! But seriously...does anyone else have the same issue??

I understand ur frustration Kasey. I'm almost 8 mos into my transition and people ask me all the time what's wrong with my hair or why havent't I gotten a relaxer yet. Every time my brother sees me he asks, "Are you sure you don't wanna perm your hair? Your new growth would look a whole lot better." My grandmother even thinks that it's just aphase and that I won't stick through it. I try to be patient with these types of comments because I realize he does not truly understand my choice to want to be natural, but it can get very frustrating. It's like, he and many others, see straightened hair as the only style of choice for women of color. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] And I really hate the fact that a lot of people my age seem to view hair that is not straight as "nappy" and out of the ordinary. But isn't what's natural be viewed as ordinary??

Last edited by DanyelleLoves on 2nd November 2009, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrections)
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

http://smartmouthme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 2nd November 2009, 5:03 pm

Danyelleloves, love you ticker!!

Ladies, when the lovely people ask us what's wrong with our hair, we must say "nothing". There is nothing wrong with looking like we're supposed to! This is how we are born! Now I see a problem trying to look the very oppositie of our true identities! I have no problem with relaxers, flat irons, etc.!! but hiding an identity, yes!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 2nd November 2009, 5:17 pm

KaseyM wrote:Hey babes and boos,Ive noticed that since Wilona (myfro ) has come into my life, I have recieved some irritating comments from my clown coworkers. Friday my clown coworker said "what in the hell is wrong with your hair?!" and I immediately retaliated with some completely inappropriate expletives...I have a potty mouth. I am also bombarded with,"when are you going to straighten your hair", "Hey Tina Turner", "WHY IS YOUR HAIR SO BIG", "you are so pretty with your straight hair"...and the list goes on. I am even more befuddled beause the commentors couldnt have a fro unless they bought one........and why does my unstraightened hair deem me less attractive in their clown eyes because I look good lol! But seriously...does anyone else have the same issue??

Wow! Your hair is so super chic. when I first BC'd and before I knew what to do and how to do it a co-worker asked GIRL HAVE YOU BEEN SWIMMING. I was embarassed at first. Now though, I walk in confidence and enjoy the looks that I get. "Yes, I cut all of my hair off, no, my hair isn't curlzandwaves, but it is cute none the less!!"

{{{{hugs}}}}
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

http://cinnamoncurlz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 2nd November 2009, 5:18 pm

cocoeuro wrote:Danyelleloves, love you ticker!!

Ladies, when the lovely people ask us what's wrong with our hair, we must say "nothing". There is nothing wrong with looking like we're supposed to! This is how we are born! Now I see a problem trying to look the very oppositie of our true identities! I have no problem with relaxers, flat irons, etc.!! but hiding an identity, yes!

Well said! I am coming to love my natural hair more and more. Every week I learn something new about my hair and myself.
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

http://cinnamoncurlz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzbush 2nd November 2009, 5:25 pm

I posted something not long ago about how differently my co-workers treat me when my hair is straightened. I only straighten my hair every 2 or 3 months but it's all smiles when I do. Someone even said 'oh, you should always wear your hair like that'. I didn't have a way to respond without coming across as 'the angry black girl' so I just didn't say anything. My family has learned not to comment on it because I take it all the way back to the slave trade with them. I'll pull out the history real quick on anybody who needs it but for my co-workers, I am not going to waste my breath.
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

Post by KaseyM 2nd November 2009, 10:06 pm

What befuddles me is that the coworkers clowns who supply these comments are black,white and even eqyptian! Yes...I said egyptian! OH and the girls with the weaves have the most to say and I am by far not against weave,I wore sew ins for 2 yrs! I try to ignore them but they are so persistant...clowns.
KaseyM
KaseyM

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 10:08 pm

kaseym, they just jealous of your audacity (gasp) to wear your heritage so boldly. and the egyptian?? bwth??
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by KaseyM 2nd November 2009, 10:33 pm

lol! Dajewel thats the same thing I said! She has this crazy long and straight hair which is beautiful but Im not about that! I rock a moptop and I am proud and I look good. I should get shirts mad with that lol!
KaseyM
KaseyM

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 10:45 pm

i remember going to high school with an egyptian, and she said that she wasn't african (but they are ON the african continent!!!) and she wore ELECTRIC blue contacts all the time...

oh, for future reference, my "bwth" stands for "but what the hell".
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 2nd November 2009, 11:01 pm

kaseyM your hair is beautiful and it does not define you, it enhances you. If people cannot accept you for how you look then tell them to kick rocks!!!! So many women are out here trying to be what they are not (I use to be one of them) because they are ashamed to accept the beautiful woman God created them as. There are people in society that tend to deem silky straight hair as "Good Hair" and it is so untrue. I look at all the sista's hair on this site and it amazes me at how beautiful their hair is. I can't wait!!!!!!!!! till my transition is complete so I can get back to being the woman I was created to be. I can't wait to rock my Big, Wavy, Thick and Curly hair!!!! That day can't get here soon enough.

Rock your hair, own your hair and let no one make you feel uncomfortable about it. Your hair does not define your beauty, you do.

So the next time someone has something irritating to say or extends a not so desirable remark about your hair. Just say "Good Day"!!!!! and shake that beautiful curly fro and push on!!!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 2nd November 2009, 11:37 pm

hahaha @ wilona! I just bust out laughing when I read that... and when I read the rest of it you're hilarious... but haters will hate - thats their J.O.B. Keep givin em something to talk about :-)
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 3rd November 2009, 12:26 am

I love the strength ladies..stand up and be proud. I was surrounded by executives today in my call center. I strutted my stuff curls and all. Provided the metrics they were hungry for and walked my natural professional self back to my office.

Ha take that haters!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Maya16 29th May 2010, 4:45 pm

KaseyM wrote:What befuddles me is that the coworkers clowns who supply these comments are black,white and even eqyptian! Yes...I said egyptian! OH and the girls with the weaves have the most to say and I am by far not against weave,I wore sew ins for 2 yrs! I try to ignore them but they are so persistant...clowns.

your hair is fablous! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] how did you get it like that? Is it a twist out?
Maya16
Maya16

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 29th May 2010, 9:14 pm

haters! they are uncomfortable because they lack.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down