CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Removal

+6
ElleX
FemmeFox
mystic412
Mllebutterfly
Veela
SisterBoyd
10 posters

Go down

Hair Removal Empty Hair Removal

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd December 2009, 3:39 am

With all of the changes I've made recently I really hadn't thought about my hair removal process. However, last week when I was in Target looking at the dipilatories(sp) I started to wonder about natural hair removal - is there such a thing? Usually I wax and shave, but I've gotten a bit lazy the past few months and have gone to the other white crack *gasp* Ladies, what are you doing?

Razors aren't allowed on all parts of my body so that isn't an option across the board.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Hair Removal Empty Re: Hair Removal

Post by Veela 29th December 2009, 12:33 pm

Hi, I was wondering what Dipilatories are. I saw them on the Target web site. I would like more info on that, have you been using one all along? Right now I wax my unwanted facial hairs at a Asian Nail salon.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 29th December 2009, 7:11 pm

Dipilatories are made of the same thing as relaxers. Its pretty much the creamy crack of hair removal. Just like if you leave relaxer on the hair too long it will eat the hair away well dipilatories will disolve the hair. Some claim to do it just under the skin, but in most cases its right at the skin level.

http://www.danistroom.com/inspirations/beauty-and-health/beauty-therapies/depilatory-cream-hair-removal.htm
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 29th December 2009, 7:25 pm

Wow, thanks for explaining that to me. That doesn't sound too good to use on our skin. I've used the Sally Hansen creme removal for emergencies when I hadn't had a chance to go to a salon. I had no idea it was the same as putting relaxer on my face! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 11th January 2010, 2:05 pm

You can make your own sugar wax at home. This the most cost effective and natural way to remove hair. It is a very old recipe taught to me by my Egyptian roommate. All you need is:

Egyptian hair removal

2 cups of water
3 cups sugar or honey
1/2 lemon juice squeezed minus the seeds

Cook the mixture down to a sticky amber colored syrup allow it to cool before applying it to the skin with a pop-sickle stick. Use cotton or linen cloth strips to remove wax.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 11th January 2010, 2:24 pm

Thanks! I am definitely going to try this. I do get tired of going to the nail salon to get done.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by mystic412 20th January 2010, 8:02 pm

u can find a great organic wax called moom and re-usable strips at your beauty supply store (it's called beauty brands where i live). best of luck!
mystic412
mystic412

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 22nd January 2010, 7:01 pm

Sugaring is good. As is waxing and threading. For someone with more reactive skin azulene wax is good. You can find it at the beauty supply, it's usually blue or green and contains chamomile and aloe to soothe the skin.
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 22nd January 2010, 9:26 pm

Femme, is sugaring the same as using sugar was?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 24th January 2010, 6:01 pm

I wax or thread eyebrows. I shave other places.
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 24th January 2010, 6:57 pm

*was was supposed to be wax...sorry about that.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 2nd February 2010, 3:26 pm

Hi Guys! I'm so excited about a product I just found by accident in Target. We had quite a bit of snow over the weekend, and I needed to be waxed before the work week started out on Monday. I went by a nail salon, but they were closed. Sooo, I headed over to Target hoping to find something I could use.

This is what I found:
http://www.parissa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8&osCsid=c83abcd27b4cf1cadb7b3482ea2d8216

It's amazing. It's an entire kit. A jar of wax that you can heat and reheat in the microwave as many times you want. It had 20 sheets of strips that you can cut to the size you want. It had about 3 wooden spatulas, and a bottle of Azulene oil to use afterwards.

I ran home and tried it and the results were amazing. My chin and side burns looked as smooth as a baby's bottom. And.. the box says it's "all natural"..

The entire kit was only $11.99..

Just wanted to share.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 10th February 2010, 7:07 am

Hi....
Sugaring is the best method as well as the safest becuase there are less side effects. I have sensitive skin and it can easily be irritated!!
Just make sure u exfoliate gently the before and the day after ... That way there is less chance of ingrown hair.

Xx

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 10th February 2010, 9:48 am

Wow, thanks for the info!
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by RayMingy 16th February 2010, 11:32 pm

This may be coming a bit late but you have to be careful even with the home waxing kits that say they are "all natural." Recently I was looking for a new more natural home waxing kit and after reading the ingredients lists on several boxes I realized that just like with hair care products the word natural means different things to different people. Many of these kits contains parabens, mineral oil, and the like. If we don't want to use these things in the hair on our heads I don't think we would want to use them in our more sensitive areas if you know what I mean.
RayMingy
RayMingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 17th February 2010, 10:01 am

Yes, I feel u on that RayMingy. My biggest concern was ending up with brown spots under my chin. I have had those in the past when I used to pluck a lot with tweezers. But I must say, I have been using the wax for about a good 2 weeks now and so far, my skin is beautiful. I do always follow up with an oil cleansing using castor oil and olive oil. I plan to switch up my mix and use castor and almond oil instead. I also plan to begin exfoliating per Msafro, I'm going to use a baking soda and water paste.

Thx for all of the great suggestions and comments. Very helpful.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimmie0810 13th March 2010, 11:16 pm

I have a condition called PCOS that causes unwanted (of course) hair on my chin. I started getting laser treatments a few years ago & I LOVE the results. To start, about 6 treatments are required 4-6 weeks apart. Then depending on hormonal levels and rate of hair growth, once a year or twice a year maintenance is done. I used to break out on my chin and have hyperpigmentation due to tweezing or shaving. All of that has stopped b/c the hair grows back finer & finer & then stops growing back after a while. No ingrowns. No irritation from removal methods.

Just be sure to find someone that specializes in your skin type & that they're reputable. Also, get an arm or something tested before actually getting the treatment.

The rest of my body hardly has any hair. Go figure lol. I shave my legs maybe twice in the summer b/c there's just nothing there. I currently shave & wax under my arms but I live in FL so I'm seriously considering doing laser there. I get brazilian waxes as well.
Kimmie0810
Kimmie0810

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th March 2010, 2:41 am

Hey ladies! My eyebrows are naturally arched so i just tweeze a little there, wax my hairy stache with GiGi's Microwave Tweezeless Wax (they have one for sensitive skin as well). I've tried professional waxes (which are great for everything except my wallet [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) dipilatories, and even shaving one time (I know, I know, so bad!! ohhh man...never again!). Ne who...one jar lasts a long time and you don't even have to buy strips.

Check it out if you're interested!
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 28th March 2010, 6:38 pm

I recently made my first batch of sugar wax and it didn't work. It didn't pick up all of the hairs and it very time consuming. I ended up having to mix another wax I bought that I didn't like to get more othe hairs off.

I'm sorry to say that I might have to stick to commercial waxes and dipilatories.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down