CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Care After Braid Removal

+3
blondie
nikkinixnicole
naturallyme09
7 posters

Go down

Hair Care After Braid Removal Empty Hair Care After Braid Removal

Post by naturallyme09 9th March 2010, 11:52 pm

I am currently transitioning (6 months on Saturday!) and I have not used heat during my transition. I have been wearing braids for the past 6 weeks and will be removing them on Friday. How should I care for my hair after I remove the braids? Also, should I wait 2 weeks before applying heat if I want to wear my hair straight?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Hair Care After Braid Removal Empty Re: Hair Care After Braid Removal

Post by nikkinixnicole 10th March 2010, 12:56 am

Deep condition once your braids are taken out. Add an oil to your conditioner to add extra moisture to your hair. What I usually do is add olive oil to my favourite conditioner and put a shower cap over my head for about an hour or 2. Then I proceed with shampooing or cowashing my hair. This leaves my hair soft and conditioned! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I disagree with any heat use, since I'm currently recovering from heat damage [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Try buns, twists, wash-n-gos.. do anything else before you straighten your hair! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hope this helps!
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 10th March 2010, 8:34 pm

nikkinixnicole wrote:Deep condition once your braids are taken out. Add an oil to your conditioner to add extra moisture to your hair. What I usually do is add olive oil to my favourite conditioner and put a shower cap over my head for about an hour or 2. Then I proceed with shampooing or cowashing my hair. This leaves my hair soft and conditioned! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I disagree with any heat use, since I'm currently recovering from heat damage [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Try buns, twists, wash-n-gos.. do anything else before you straighten your hair!

Hope this helps!

I second that!!!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 10th March 2010, 8:50 pm

definitely dc! when i took my kinky twist out, i put qhemets honey n olive balm on each braid piece i took out til i was able to get home. i washed it out and it was nice n soft...hmmmm!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 11th March 2010, 12:20 pm

I would do a protein and moisturizing DT. When I wore weaves every 6 weeks, I would clarify my hair with a baking soda rinse, shampoo and condition and follow the conditioner with a recontructor or Aphogee's protein treatment. It smelled just like ACV. Always follow your protein treatments with a moisturizing conditioner to restore your hair's moisture or pH level.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 11th March 2010, 12:26 pm

nikkinixnicole wrote:Deep condition once your braids are taken out. Add an oil to your conditioner to add extra moisture to your hair. What I usually do is add olive oil to my favourite conditioner and put a shower cap over my head for about an hour or 2. Then I proceed with shampooing or cowashing my hair. This leaves my hair soft and conditioned! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I disagree with any heat use, since I'm currently recovering from heat damage [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Try buns, twists, wash-n-gos.. do anything else before you straighten your hair! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hope this helps!

Hi Nikkinixnicole-

I have a question for you. When you wore braids what was your daily/weekly routine....i.e. moisture for scalp and hair; cleaning..did you co-wash or shampoo while your hair was braided.

Also, I've noticed after 4 weeks...my own hair looks like it is curling up right out of my braids. Is that normal? If so, what do you suggest I do to keep my hair that is exposed moisturized?

Thanks.
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 11th March 2010, 12:33 pm

Check out this site for proper washing when wearing braids:www.growafrohairlong.com
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 11th March 2010, 1:25 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:I would do a protein and moisturizing DT. When I wore weaves every 6 weeks, I would clarify my hair with a baking soda rinse, shampoo and condition and follow the conditioner with a recontructor or Aphogee's protein treatment. It smelled just like ACV. Always follow your protein treatments with a moisturizing conditioner to restore your hair's moisture or pH level.

So you use the Aphogee treatments every 6 weeks? Do you use the "2 min" reconstructor or the "2 Step" treatment? As far as the follow up conditioner, do you find the moisturizing conditioner that comes with the 2 Step treatment to be adequate or have you found another moisturizing conditioner that works better?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 11th March 2010, 6:16 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:Check out this site for proper washing when wearing braids:www.growafrohairlong.com

Thanks Hamptonsfnst...going to check it out now!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 12th March 2010, 2:57 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:

Hope this helps!

Hi Nikkinixnicole-

I have a question for you. When you wore braids what was your daily/weekly routine....i.e. moisture for scalp and hair; cleaning..did you co-wash or shampoo while your hair was braided.

Also, I've noticed after 4 weeks...my own hair looks like it is curling up right out of my braids. Is that normal? If so, what do you suggest I do to keep my hair that is exposed moisturized?

Thanks.

Hi KinkyNappyHappy,

To be honest, I find washing my hair with braids causes alot of damage and breakage to my hair. What I normally do is leave them in there for 3-4 weeks max. If you want to leave them in longer though, I would suggest cowashing only, just because the last thing you want to do is dry out your hair while wearing braids (and thats what shampoo will do). Also, try not to keep braids in for over a month and if you do, get the from and side areas redone (monthly) to prevent alot breakage in those areas (as your hair grows, the braids pull on your roots more and causes alot of damage).

To moisturize my braids, I mix a light oil (usually olive oil) with a little water and some liquid leave-in in a spray bottle and spray my scalp with it. This methods keeps my scalp and new growth moisturized.

This advice is based on what works for my hair and may be different for your hair. Try different things until you find something that works. Overall, just keep your hair happy and moisturized and keep your scalp unclogged (mineral oil and petroleum will do that!).

I hope this advice helps. Also feel free to send me a message if you have anymore questions. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th March 2010, 11:20 am

@naturallyme09: I used either Aphogee's 2 step treatment or my bottle of CON reconstructor. I followed my treatments with Motions' weightless condtioner and spritzed Aphogee's Green Tea Keratin Mist on my hair afterward.

You're welcome KNH.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 12th March 2010, 1:13 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@naturallyme09: I used either Aphogee's 2 step treatment or my bottle of CON reconstructor. I followed my treatments with Motions' weightless condtioner and spritzed Aphogee's Green Tea Keratin Mist on my hair afterward.

You're welcome KNH.

Thanks!
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by sewdope 12th March 2010, 1:30 pm

i just took my braids out. i did an overnight pre-poo with oils & condish before i washed my hair. i deep conditioned my hair with cholesterol and then did a deep condish with a moisturizing conditioner. my hair feels fabulous. Smile
sewdope
sewdope

http://members.fotki.com/sewdope

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down