CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Natural

+3
NylaCoils
Muz
JustJess
7 posters

Go down

New to Natural Empty New to Natural

Post by JustJess 17th December 2009, 8:46 pm

I am newbie, and am excited to go natural. I want to transition into it because my hair is shoulder length, and I am not ready for the BC. My last relaxer was Oct. 27, 2009, and I am now beginning to see new growth; my question is what types of shampoo should I use on my hair? I have been using Pantene R&N, should I continue to use this or move onto something else? Also, I am certain I have a couple of different wave patterns in my hair, and am not sure going natural is even an option because some of my new growth is curly at the root, and some of it is bone straight. Thanks for all of your help and your patience.

JustJess

Back to top Go down

New to Natural Empty Re: New to Natural

Post by Muz 17th December 2009, 9:04 pm

Have you considered co-washing (using conditioner like shampoo)? Most shampoos have sulfates in them which can be stripping to your hair. For co-washing, I like V05 Strawberries & Cream Moisture Milk Conditioner. I also recently tried Aussie Moist Conditioner and it's great too. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is also popular.

My mom transitioned a couple of years ago and she uses Pantene R&N, so if you like it and it works for your hair, I say keep using it.

And going natural is always an option, it's the hair God gave you Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JustJess 18th December 2009, 12:34 am

Thanks Muz,
I'll give the V05 a try.

JustJess

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 18th December 2009, 1:37 am

@JustJess- most curlies have 2 different curl patterns. i got 3. I got wavy, coiled and tightly coiled on my head!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by carmesha102 18th December 2009, 1:45 am

I agree with Muz, you may want to try cowashing, especially during the winter months. I've read about people using cleansing conditioners like Hair One (it's at Sally's), but I've never tried it myself.

And a good way to deal w/ a lot of different textures is to do styles like twist-outs, braid-outs, etc., I have the same problem and they really help to make your hair look more uniform.

Happy transitioning!
carmesha102
carmesha102

http://twitter.com/CarMeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by JustJess 18th December 2009, 9:16 am

NylaCoils and Carmesha 102 thank you so much for your responses. I will definitly try co-washing since it's getting cold in KY. Thanks again.

JustJess

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 18th December 2009, 1:34 pm

I am new to transitioning also and it appears as if I have about three different curl patterns. I have been very successful with twist-outs and rollers sets. I just recently tried Suave (the lavender scent) and Aussie moist and I absolutely love the results! That Aussie Moist is the TRUTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by JustJess 18th December 2009, 1:44 pm

Heart2Worship,
Thanks so much your hair looks great, are you considering the BC? I still haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to do that. I am thinking that maybe this time next year I'll have enough new natural hair to feel comfortable doing that. My hair grows pretty fast relaxed, so I'm uncertain of how fast it will grow while I'm transitioning. I've always had healthy hair, and I just want to make sure it remains healthy during this process, and after.

JustJess

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd December 2009, 1:51 pm

Everyone is giving you great advice. I've been transitioning for about 15 months and I regularly do TnCs. Definitely cowash instead of shampooing unless you can find a shampoo without harsh sulfates and other additives that may dry your hair out. I use Carol's Daughther's Black Vanilla Shampoo once a month and cowash nearly every 4 days with VO5 Moisture Milks conditioners.

I haven't BC'd yet and don't plan to until March 2010 if I have the guts to do it then. BC when you're ready and confident to rock a shorter length than your present. In the mean time make sure you keep that demarcation line well moisturized and apply little heat and manipulation as possible. HTH
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by JustJess 22nd December 2009, 1:57 pm

@Hamptonsfnst, thanks for the information. I was considering using carol's daughter black vanilla. I currently use the Lisa's Elixer and I love it; I was using it before when I relaxed my hair, and plan to continue to use it.

JustJess

Back to top Go down

Post by ShellyAmore 27th December 2009, 4:18 am

I'm very new to Natural hair. About a month ago I told my husband when he was cutting his hair...to cut my hair off. I was getting tired of curling it, relaxing it, flat ironing it, etc. I wanted my hair to breath, I heard about cowashing while in cosmetology school and started doing it, I have to admit my hair is going faster, has lots more moisture and I have fell back in love with my natural hair!!! Now When I want that straight, long look,or just looking for variety. I just throw on my lace front wigs and become a new person for the day....lol But I Know I will never go back to damaging my natural hair again!!

ShellyAmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down