CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily...

+12
earniece
missmoriah
MissyCee
laleepop14
NhappyJackie
Ladybird
Luscious Mahogany
Lynnieluve
fanmnatirel
Smiilez03
Madeaj
Uneekjewel
16 posters

Go down

No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily... Empty No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily...

Post by Uneekjewel 8th March 2011, 5:58 pm

Hey curlies,

I was wondering I am the only person who has their highs and lows with their natural hair. I have been growing my hair out (after my 2nd BC) for a little over a year. When stretched, my hair is almost shoulder length. However, I feel like my hair is at a funky stage. I can no longer just co wash it and put some v05 conditioner for a quick wash n go or pull off a cute TWA afro. My hair is requiring a little more work and I have been unsuccessful in achieving great twist-outs or doing any flat twist styles. I don't want to spend a ton of money going to the salon every few weeks for a fab style either. I feel like I'm kind of stuck with hair I do not like. Anybody understand where I'm coming from or am I just plain lazy....

Peace and Blessings
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily... Empty Re: No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily...

Post by Madeaj 9th March 2011, 1:02 am

No you are not crazy or lazy. I feel like I am still going through that stage sometimes and my hair is past that length. Sometimes I feel like the only style I can do is a curly bun or twists. Some of the other ladies have some really nice styles at different lengths. They'll be here to help with suggestions. scratch I'll be watching too. Smile
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily... Empty Re: No Longer a TWA but not long enough to style easily...

Post by Uneekjewel 9th March 2011, 11:28 am

Thanks for your encouraging words and honesty. I'm hoping this will get easier since the warm weather is approaching. flower
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiilez03 9th March 2011, 2:00 pm

I'm also in the same position you're in. I sometimes feel bored with my hair and wish it was longer so I could do more styles but I gotta be patient and continue taking care of my hair so matter what length it's at
Smiilez03
Smiilez03

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 9th March 2011, 2:50 pm

I am so bored that i am considering highlights...but i know darn well that i dont have the time to give my hair the additional TLC that it'll require...So i think i'll pass...

I feel like i look like a bum everyday....I am not liking my two strand twists anymore...all of a sudden i feel like as a 27-yr-old, i should not be walking around with twists (no offense to the sisters that do)...but then i exercise 4 times a week and that is the only way my hair stays decent...and doesn't turn into a frizz ball...

I tell ya...i am going through a hard time right now...

I am going to Miami this weekend but think i'll get some kinky twists the minute i get back...ugh!

I can't wait to have more hair...
But hey...i s till love being natural...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th March 2011, 3:54 pm

First I want to say try to enjoy your hair at every stage...even in the funky in between stage. I too get bored with my hair but I know it is just a phase and part of the journey. This too shall pass. Smile

The only way to get better with styling is to practice. Find a "go to" style when things go "wrong"...puff, beanie, pin up style, adding hair accessories...etc. Check out Youtube for tutorials.

During my in between stage, I relied heavily on bobby pins. You could also try rod/roller/flexi rod sets.

Also for the ladies wishing for more length....

MORE LENGTH = MORE WORK

That's the stage I'm in now No I dread wash days because I know its gonna take so loooonnnnggggg. Gone are the days of 2-3 hrs to wash, deep condition and style. Depending on the style, it now takes 5-8hrs Neutral
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Luscious Mahogany 9th March 2011, 4:41 pm

See you guys are at a different stage then myself, my TWA is growing out and its at the in between stage where I can't twist it all over to wear out with some hang nor can I do a nice twist out so I embrace this stage while I'm here until its time for the next stage. But I agree with Lynnieluve try to yt some vids and see what you can find but embrace it all!!
Luscious Mahogany
Luscious Mahogany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 9th March 2011, 5:36 pm

Same here!!!!! my go to style is my puff and it never fails. The funny thing is DO NOT want long hair. I prefer thicker hair any day but not long. It should not take 5-6 hours to do our hair, but sooner or later it does.

So i will try to work with what i have for now.

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 10th March 2011, 11:47 am

Been there done that several times, but Fotki has become a great friend of mine. Check it out for styles people are able to wear at your length. Right after my 1 year mark my hair was about 5.5inches. I did twists, twist outs, flat twist outs and flat ironed (all in about 2 months).
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 10th March 2011, 12:05 pm

I totally can relate!

My hair has grown a lot since I started this whole journey and especially since my BC 9 months ago. My go to style used to be just 5 or 6 cornrowns going straight back and then take them down. Now that my hair is longer, if I do that style my hair doesn't do what it did when it was a little shorter and I dont think it looks all that good. So now I am experimenting with twists and twists outs so I can find another staple style. But like Lynnie said with longer hair becomes more work!!! Another go to style that can never go wrong for me is a puff, I have that great "afro making" hair (LOL) so when I dont feel like doing my hair or it looks crazy, a puff it is, but that means more work at detangling time because when my hair is just out it gets tangled quick cause its so curly..

So I think you should just enjoy each stage and try to find a staple hair style at every stage to help on days when its not going so well. Its like a relationship. When you are having a bad day with your mate, you dont just call it quits, you usually get over it or try to work it out. Or maybe you do call it quits..LOL

HTH!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 10th March 2011, 12:22 pm

Nhappyjackie, I love your progress andyour photos!!! You are giving a sistah hope and making me want to continue this journey. Thanks for allowing us to see in pics and watch you go!!! I just hit 7month since bc and I surely know the given up feel well.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Luscious Mahogany 10th March 2011, 12:40 pm

@Laleepop14, I love your analogy of maintaining our natural hair the same as a relationship.
Luscious Mahogany
Luscious Mahogany

Back to top Go down

Post by Uneekjewel 11th March 2011, 11:46 am

Thanks for all the love and support. I am glad that I am not the only one who is dealing with "in between hair." Have a blessed one!
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoriah 12th March 2011, 2:41 am

*singing* you are not alone, i am here with you. girl hang in there. all i can say is that it is taking me forever to get out of this stage and being in this stage has caused a love hate relationship. I have just now been able to get a pony tail and even that looks kinda bad! but i am getting a hang of this braiding thing so i just part down the middle and braid it up now. Smile
missmoriah
missmoriah

http://xmarvelousme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by earniece 15th March 2011, 12:40 pm

I'm in the same stage. My hair isn't quite long enough for a good bun but it is long enough to give me drama when I Wash and Go. I'm looking to get some protective styles going soon so I can let my hair grow while its stretching to that bun length.
earniece
earniece

http://www.twitter.com/earniece

Back to top Go down

Post by LynValerie 15th March 2011, 5:24 pm

So glad I found this thread! My hair is about at the level that Earnice's is above me, and I swear I have been having the hardest time finding a style, let alone feeling like I'm ever going to get to the long pretty curls stage. My hair doesn't do well with twist outs or any sort of -out really, so I usually just use bobbi pins to pin it back, but I do feel so stuck!

Thanks to all as the OP said for support and guidance.
LynValerie
LynValerie

http://girldoesgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JossBella 16th March 2011, 4:48 am

Feels so good to see that I'm not alone
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Uneekjewel 17th March 2011, 4:19 pm

Me too! I was on the verge of doing a third BC.
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Uneekjewel 17th March 2011, 4:30 pm

Me too! I was on the verge of doing a third BC.
Uneekjewel
Uneekjewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Brwnsugar24 18th March 2011, 3:24 pm

You are not alone. My hair is in that middle stage as well. Some times I get frustrated because I am able to do twist outs but when watching YT vids they advice given is usually from women with shoulder length hair and they instruct or advise using the bun method at night to keep the twist outs in tact or scrunchy method...HELLO my hair is not that long but long enough to do a twist out LOL
Brwnsugar24
Brwnsugar24

Back to top Go down

Post by MaNesha 21st March 2011, 1:42 pm

Oh my...let me add to the resounding, I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! This inbetweeny length is killing me. As you all have mentioned, you can't go wrong with the pufftail, I love it. But, there has been morning that i've wanted to do a little more and it just does not go well. Twist outs...? RIGHT! LOL!

All that said, I still love my natural. I can't wait to have more lenght though. Maybe by the summer I'll have more lenght. June is my 1 year mark..we'll see.

HANG IN THERE LADIES!
-MaNesha

MaNesha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down